Dynamic range comparison FZ150 vs Casio ZR200

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions
Alika
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?
Dynamic range comparison FZ150 vs Casio ZR200
May 20, 2012

Originally I've posted this comparison in the Casio forum. It could be of interest here as well.

A capability of a camera which is not mentioned very often in compact camera tests is the dynamic range. I bought the ZR200 because of other fatures but looking at some photos I'm more and more impressed with this little cam.

Did you know that the ZR200 can do 12 EVF at ISO 80 and 100 and close with ISO 200?

A german test quote "...the Casio reaches an impressive high dynamic range of 12 EV without HDR-function" (See http://www.digitalkamera.de/.../Testbericht/Casio_Exilim_EX-ZR200/7648.aspx )

How does this translate in real live? Here is one example comparing the ZR200 with the Panasonic FZ150. The shots were taken without HDR ! I've tried to adjust the sky with the same level of saturation which results into -2/3 EV for the Panasonic. First ZR200.

McSpunckle
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
Re: Dynamic range comparison FZ150 vs Casio ZR200
In reply to Alika, May 20, 2012

The FZ150 shot is underexposed. Even if the light was exactly the same, the FZ150 shot would have been darker.

Plus, the sun appears to have gone completely behind the building by the time you took the second shot, which you can tell by the lack of shadows.

A better comparison would have been to expose the the shadow areas the same and look at highlight clipping in the sky. But the light would have to be exactly the same for it to be a fair comparison.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hans Gruber
Contributing MemberPosts: 868
Like?
In reply to McSpunckle, May 20, 2012

This is correct. The Casio may be a fine camera, but the comparison you offered to compare it to the FZ150 is invalid.

McSpunckle
Like?

I misspoke. The FZ150 shot is exposed close to the same, assuming the same light, but it's still underexposed due to the deeper shadows.

Hans Gruber
Contributing MemberPosts: 868
Like?

But you did not misspeak with regard to the lighting conditions. They are not the same.

Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 12,228
Like?
In reply to Hans Gruber, May 20, 2012

The fact remains that the Casio shot has much better dynamic range without the "fake" look of typical HDR processing.

Very impressive. It looks much more like what one sees with one's eyes.

-Erik
--
DP Review Supporter.

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
http://www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

McSpunckle
Like?
In reply to Hans Gruber, May 20, 2012

Yep, exactly!

The scene in the FZ150 shot would require more dynamic range to capture, because the darker bits are much darker.

Given the similar exposures, you'd really have to look at just the sky to get an idea of dynamic range, and there's not a huge difference. Obviously, the sun poking through in the Casio shot makes it a much nicer photo, of course. But, otherwise, they're pretty similar.

Alika
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?
In reply to Erik Ohlson, May 20, 2012

Erik Ohlson wrote:

The fact remains that the Casio shot has much better dynamic range without the "fake" look of typical HDR processing.

Very impressive. It looks much more like what one sees with one's eyes.

I fully agree with you that the Casio shows the picture close to your own eyes.

I disagree with McSpunckle. The first shot from the Casio is more ambitious because the sun is still visible and therefore the contrast is higher, i.e. the comparison is IMHO in favor of the Panasonic FZ150.

However, I agree that the lightning condition were different and therefore might be considered not right.

I will show you another example with a very difficult back lightning condition and high contrast because of the snow. Again the Casio shows out of the box fantastic exposure. With other cams the skier would be underexposed.

McSpunckle
Like?
In reply to Alika, May 20, 2012

Alika wrote:

I disagree with McSpunckle. The first shot from the Casio is more ambitious because the sun is still visible and therefore the contrast is higher, i.e. the comparison is IMHO in favor of the Panasonic FZ150.

That's not how that works. The sun was just barely behind the buildings, and the sky was still the same brightness. The sky doesn't get that much darker in the 3 minutes between those two pictures. The difference is that the sun was no longer shining in front of the building, causing it to get darker there. In other words, the FZ150 image has more contrast.

I know you were there and I wasn't, but it's obvious that the sun was no longer shining on the streets in the background even. Both cameras were set for similar exposures-- if this was a failure of the FZ150's dynamic range, all that would happen is the sky would be white. The buildings and street wouldn't be darker. But, the sky looks the same, more or less.

And, for the record, I'm not saying the Casio doesn't have better dynamic range-- it certainly might. But these two images aren't going to show it.

-edit-

Looking again, it appears more likely the sun went behind a cloud than behind the buildings. Or a combination of both, since it was already pretty low in the sky.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads