5d2 & TS-E 45 - first time tilt shift user thoughts

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions
forbaz
Regular MemberPosts: 480Gear list
Like?
5d2 & TS-E 45 - first time tilt shift user thoughts
May 20, 2012

[cross post in canon lens forum also]

Just picked up a 2nd hand TS-E 45 last week. First crack at seeing what it could do both with some portrait and landscape work today. Not the easiest thing to use for sure, with the manual focus (99.9% of the stuff I usually do is with AF), but definite sense of accomplishment when you get the photo. Especially as it was my first go I felt the need of course to use full tilt and 2.8 for every shot

Happy for cc of pics. A few of them below, all shot with 5d2. More at the link in my signature if you're interested.

PIC 1

PIC 2

PIC 3

PIC 4

PIC 5

PIC 6

-- hide signature --
 forbaz's gear list:forbaz's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
vvv14
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
Re: 5d2 & TS-E 45 - first time tilt shift user thoughts
In reply to forbaz, May 20, 2012

Congrats on your new toy. Great shots, my favorites are 1 and 4.

However, i can't stop thinking about a tutorial I saw on Photoshop CS6 about selective blurring.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tiberiousgracchus
Regular MemberPosts: 247
Like?
In reply to forbaz, May 20, 2012

lovely set. pics 4.5.6 my favs

forbaz
Like?
In reply to vvv14, May 21, 2012

vvv14 wrote:

Congrats on your new toy. Great shots, my favorites are 1 and 4.

However, i can't stop thinking about a tutorial I saw on Photoshop CS6 about selective blurring.

cheers vvv. I havn't quite seen anyone who has been able properly replicate TS via photoshop, but i've seen plenty of not so good examples. I'm more about getting it right in camera and spending as little time as possible on the PP - I don't have photoshop anyway

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
forbaz
Like?
In reply to tiberiousgracchus, May 21, 2012

cheers!

-- hide signature --
Peter 13
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,301
Like?
In reply to forbaz, May 21, 2012

Sorry to say that but except for the last picture, the rest look like shots taken with a defective lens.

Dimitris Mitrovgenis
Regular MemberPosts: 303
Like?
In reply to Peter 13, May 21, 2012

Hey I would love this Defective lens.Listen to Peter 13 and sell it to me!!!!!!

Peter 13 wrote:

Sorry to say that but except for the last picture, the rest look like shots taken with a defective lens.

forbaz
Like?
In reply to Dimitris Mitrovgenis, May 22, 2012

Dimitris Mitrovgenis wrote:
Hey I would love this Defective lens.Listen to Peter 13 and sell it to me!!!!!!

Peter 13 wrote:

sorry Dimitris, this one's staying in my bag for now

-- hide signature --
russbarnes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,081Gear list
Like?
In reply to forbaz, May 22, 2012

If you use a slightly narrower aperture you will get a smoother transition to out of focus areas. I have a set here amongst others on my site:

http://russbarnes.co.uk/altered_realities/slideshow

You might find you need to start using grad filters too because out of focus elements can easily be blown using tilt lenses.

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +3 more
forbaz
Like?
In reply to russbarnes, May 23, 2012

russbarnes wrote:

If you use a slightly narrower aperture you will get a smoother transition to out of focus areas. I have a set here amongst others on my site:

http://russbarnes.co.uk/altered_realities/slideshow

You might find you need to start using grad filters too because out of focus elements can easily be blown using tilt lenses.

russ,

thanks very much for the link, and the tip. I had a look through your site - these images are truly exceptional, and i'm not even really a landscape style photographer, but can really appreciate your photos. Can I ask a few questions please - how narrow generally are you going on the aperture? Are you going as far as max tilt, and which of the ts-e lenses are you using in your shots? Thanks again!

-- hide signature --
russbarnes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,081Gear list
Like?
In reply to forbaz, May 23, 2012

forbaz wrote:

thanks very much for the link, and the tip. I had a look through your site - these images are truly exceptional, and i'm not even really a landscape style photographer, but can really appreciate your photos.

Thanks man

Can I ask a few questions please - how narrow generally are you going on the aperture?

I find shooting selectively at f/4 to f/5.6 can render a softer transition between the focussed and out of focus areas. You'll also find that this is likely to render better images because you're using the lens stopped down a little.

Are you going as far as max tilt

Ah yes, something else. I use about 5 degrees, not the whole hog. Using these lenses without going to the max will also produce much better images overall.

and which of the ts-e lenses are you using in your shots? Thanks again!

Errrrrrrrrr sorry, but I shoot Nikon's 24mm PC-E and 45mm PC-E But I'm sure if you buy the 24mm TS-E II you'll find this is a very capable lens indeed... I'm waiting for Nikon's delivery of a 17mm PC-E which is now under development and due this year...

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +3 more
forbaz
Like?
In reply to russbarnes, May 24, 2012

russbarnes wrote:

forbaz wrote:

thanks very much for the link, and the tip. I had a look through your site - these images are truly exceptional, and i'm not even really a landscape style photographer, but can really appreciate your photos.

Thanks man

Can I ask a few questions please - how narrow generally are you going on the aperture?

I find shooting selectively at f/4 to f/5.6 can render a softer transition between the focussed and out of focus areas. You'll also find that this is likely to render better images because you're using the lens stopped down a little.

Are you going as far as max tilt

Ah yes, something else. I use about 5 degrees, not the whole hog. Using these lenses without going to the max will also produce much better images overall.

and which of the ts-e lenses are you using in your shots? Thanks again!

Errrrrrrrrr sorry, but I shoot Nikon's 24mm PC-E and 45mm PC-E But I'm sure if you buy the 24mm TS-E II you'll find this is a very capable lens indeed... I'm waiting for Nikon's delivery of a 17mm PC-E which is now under development and due this year...

thanks Russ much appreciated!

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads