D7000:Flashing Info Light with Battery Pack

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions
Alex Akai
Regular MemberPosts: 402Gear list
Like?
D7000:Flashing Info Light with Battery Pack
May 20, 2012

Hi all,

Not sure if this covered before but could not find any info about this problem. Recently I converted from Canon to Nikon and got myself a D7000. Really happy with the camera. Also purchased a battery pack (non Nikon) trying to save some money. Alas the unit I bought (Meike MK-D7000) when connected to the camera, causes the Info LED to flash constantly. Is this some kind of error ?. Sometimes the Battery indicator also flashes on the top LCD. Is there anyone who has seen this problem and have any pointers to what might be happening? Thanks in advance....
--
Alex

Alex Akai's gear list:Alex Akai's gear list
Nikon D7000 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 14,320
Like?
May help
In reply to Alex Akai, May 20, 2012

Alex Akai wrote:

Hi all,

Not sure if this covered before but could not find any info about this problem. Recently I converted from Canon to Nikon and got myself a D7000. Really happy with the camera. Also purchased a battery pack (non Nikon) trying to save some money. Alas the unit I bought (Meike MK-D7000) when connected to the camera, causes the Info LED to flash constantly. Is this some kind of error ?. Sometimes the Battery indicator also flashes on the top LCD. Is there anyone who has seen this problem and have any pointers to what might be happening? Thanks in advance....

This might help

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=17465&mesg_id=17465&page=

" I managed to find a small piece of foam and fit it at the end of the locking cap to stop it from rocking. This will solve the problem of loose battery connection and causing the green LED next to 'info' button to flash, because of D7000 trying to fetch power information from the grip".

Flashing battery on LCD means the battery is so low that shutter button is disabled. Flashing memory access lamp (next to info button) would indicate a contact failure of the grip or bad batteries in the grip.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Terry Vickers
Regular MemberPosts: 332Gear list
Like?
Re: May help
In reply to Mako2011, May 20, 2012

I bought one of the cheap Meike grips and it worked fine for a while and then I saw the flashing green card access light after a few months use. The battery in the camera and in the grip were draining at an alarming rate.

As Mako has pointed out above this is suspected to be because of a bad contact between the grip and the camera causing it to rock a bit. A little piece of foam or card to act as a shim can resolve it

It's a well known issue with these grips.

Terry Vickers's gear list:Terry Vickers's gear list
Nikon D3100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +7 more
Alex Akai
Regular MemberPosts: 402Gear list
Like?
In reply to Terry Vickers, May 20, 2012

Thank you all ! It was very helpful...
--
Alex

Alex Akai's gear list:Alex Akai's gear list
Nikon D7000 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
Spodworld
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mako2011, Dec 5, 2012

Mako2011 wrote:

Alex Akai wrote:

Hi all,

This might help

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=17465&mesg_id=17465&page=

" I managed to find a small piece of foam and fit it at the end of the locking cap to stop it from rocking. This will solve the problem of loose battery connection and causing the green LED next to 'info' button to flash, because of D7000 trying to fetch power information from the grip".

Flashing battery on LCD means the battery is so low that shutter button is disabled. Flashing memory access lamp (next to info button) would indicate a contact failure of the grip or bad batteries in the grip.

I've been experiencing the same problem myself.  However, I was trying to figure out just where the shim needs to go.  I can't figure it out from the explanation.  Just what is being shimmed and where on the grip?  Is it internal to the grip?  If so, where?  Is it between the grip and the body of the camera?

It works fine with AA batteries, but when I put an EL-EN15 battery in there, it drains both the grip and camera batteries overnight, even though the camera is off.

Thanks

SantaFeBill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,998
Like?
Re: D7000:Flashing Info Light with Battery Pack
In reply to Alex Akai, Dec 6, 2012

I've looked at user reviews/comments on every 3rd-party grip for the D7000 that I could find. Unfortunately, every one had some kind of problem, from uncertain contacts to reversed dials to slow shutter response.    So I'm simply trying to round up the $$ for the Nikon one. It seems the only way to have one that is fully functional and dependable in the longer run.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads