Macro shots (HS30)

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,331Gear list
Like?
Macro shots (HS30)
May 20, 2012

A couple of snaps just to show the Macro capability of the HS30.

SOOC JPEGS | Cropped

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
NOEL 100
Contributing MemberPosts: 655Gear list
Like?
Re: Macro shots (HS30)
In reply to jcmarfilph, May 20, 2012

If it wasn't for the bee's photography could get pretty boring.

When the courier delivered my 30 the local fauna must have been watching. Usually the place is alive with creatures but as soon as I made a trek outside all went quiet......

I'm beginning to know the bees on a first name basis.

Keep snapping.
--
Noel 100

NOEL 100's gear list:NOEL 100's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Baseman
Regular MemberPosts: 444Gear list
Like?

Nice shots Joms. I liked the 1st and 3rd shots. Reminds me of that spider I shot. Wondrous creatures but for their size they still can put a fright into you! The HS30 seems to be working just fine in your hands. Keep em coming

Doug

Baseman's gear list:Baseman's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR
skimble
Senior MemberPosts: 6,162Gear list
Like?

nice series Joms that second one is spot on
Cheers,
Siggi

skimble's gear list:skimble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 70D
jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to skimble, May 20, 2012

skimble wrote:

nice series Joms that second one is spot on
Cheers,
Siggi

Thanks Siggi. That is my fave too.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to Baseman, May 20, 2012

Baseman wrote:

Nice shots Joms. I liked the 1st and 3rd shots. Reminds me of that spider I shot. Wondrous creatures but for their size they still can put a fright into you! The HS30 seems to be working just fine in your hands. Keep em coming

Doug

Hi Doug,

They definitely will frighten you when they are in huge numbers. The facade of our office was infested with bees just recently so they had to close the perimeter.

Thanks!

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to NOEL 100, May 20, 2012

NOEL 100 wrote:

If it wasn't for the bee's photography could get pretty boring.

When the courier delivered my 30 the local fauna must have been watching. Usually the place is alive with creatures but as soon as I made a trek outside all went quiet......

I'm beginning to know the bees on a first name basis.

Keep snapping.
--
Noel 100

Haha I would like to get a BIF (bee in-flight) to get a more interesting macro or I will get a Raynox adapter again to continue my miniature world exploration.

Thanks,

-=[ Joms ]=-

Simon76
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?

Agreed. The 2nd one is the pick of the bunch. The others look out of focus to me.

jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to Simon76, May 20, 2012

Simon76 wrote:

Agreed. The 2nd one is the pick of the bunch. The others look out of focus to me.

I think 1st is the only one a bit OOF. With a bit of PP, they will look sharper IMHO.

Thanks.

-=[ Joms ]=-

Simon76
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Does anybody have any sharp macro shots using the HS30 ? I'm struggling to find any on here

jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to Simon76, May 20, 2012

Simon76 wrote:

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Does anybody have any sharp macro shots using the HS30 ? I'm struggling to find any on here

As I have said these are SOOC JPEGs with conservative settings.

A bit of USM will give you this...

The actual size of that butterfly is even smaller in that view...

Take note also that that shot was at 560mm FL and the butterfly was around 1+ meters away.

This is bee around 6+ inches away and the size is about 20% of this view.

If you want a sharper result, use close-up or macro lens.

I have posted a couple more here...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1012&thread=41535352

-=[ Joms ]=-

Silent Oracle
Senior MemberPosts: 2,913
Like?

J, I agree with Simon - all are OOF except the second shot and it has distracting elements to the left. The third subject is 'on the edge', but all lack brilliant detail.

As with birds, macro doesn't work well with cropping; the entire frame needs to be filled with the insect.

If you posted to show the capability of this camera, then what time of day were the images shot? Did you use an auxiliary lens? Why did you use specific settings on your camera? Did you use a tripod? The area of DPR is reserved for those seeking information about particular cameras and gear and that type of informaiton would be helpful.

Personally speaking, I haven't seen anything to date from this camera that is mind-blowing. The results are reminding me of the HS10, pre-FW and that is concerning.

DS21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,492Gear list
Like?
In reply to Silent Oracle, May 20, 2012

Silent Oracle wrote:

J, I agree with Simon - all are OOF except the second shot and it has distracting elements to the left. The third subject is 'on the edge', but all lack brilliant detail.

As with birds, macro doesn't work well with cropping; the entire frame needs to be filled with the insect.

If you posted to show the capability of this camera, then what time of day were the images shot? Did you use an auxiliary lens? Why did you use specific settings on your camera? Did you use a tripod? The area of DPR is reserved for those seeking information about particular cameras and gear and that type of informaiton would be helpful.

Personally speaking, I haven't seen anything to date from this camera that is mind-blowing. The results are reminding me of the HS10, pre-FW and that is concerning.

If camera was used with conservative settings (to allow more room for PP), that could mean sharpening was set to low also, explaining rather soft (or maybe subdued) look. These cams are obviously not meant to be used SOOC, you can choose sharpening in camera and water painting look, or sharpening in PP and soft output SOOC. The days of S100fs sharp SOOC output are gone forever, I am afraid.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
Silent Oracle
Like?
In reply to DS21, May 20, 2012

DS21 wrote:

Silent Oracle wrote:

If camera was used with conservative settings (to allow more room for PP), that could mean sharpening was set to low also, explaining rather soft (or maybe subdued) look. These cams are obviously not meant to be used SOOC, you can choose sharpening in camera and water painting look, or sharpening in PP and soft output SOOC. The days of S100fs sharp SOOC output are gone forever, I am afraid.

DS, that's a shame - but now I'm wondering about the ability to further pp these images. I saved the second one; it's exceptionally noisy in comparison to my Fuji cameras with artifacting which is generally associated with something that was rendered amid the pp phase. I did a general unsharp mask; there was minimal difference in the images. In addition, there is not a lot of detail in the bee - but the most concerning issue is the smearing in the image. There is quite a bit.

The issue here is that my comments will be skewed by some as an attack on Joms which couldn't be further from the truth. If this were the SHARING SECTION of DPR - I would not even comment on the IQ of an image. But this section is indeed about discussion on the performance of Fuji gear.

I am interested in this camera; I would like to see it perform well - and the reason that it isn't remains a question of the camera's ability or the user's. Neither is a good situation.

jcmarfilph
Like?

Silent Oracle wrote:

You need a macro lens for that.

Around 3pm EST no macro or close-up lens, no tripod, P-Mode.

I just posted real-world snapshot results now if I want mind-blowing result, I will dedicate time and use RAW.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph
Like?

Silent Oracle wrote:

DS21 wrote:

Silent Oracle wrote:

DS, that's a shame - but now I'm wondering about the ability to further pp these images. I saved the second one; it's exceptionally noisy in comparison to my Fuji cameras with artifacting which is generally associated with something that was rendered amid the pp phase. I did a general unsharp mask; there was minimal difference in the images. In addition, there is not a lot of detail in the bee - but the most concerning issue is the smearing in the image. There is quite a bit.

The issue here is that my comments will be skewed by some as an attack on Joms which couldn't be further from the truth. If this were the SHARING SECTION of DPR - I would not even comment on the IQ of an image. But this section is indeed about discussion on the performance of Fuji gear.

I am interested in this camera; I would like to see it perform well - and the reason that it isn't remains a question of the camera's ability or the user's. Neither is a good situation.

Here is a comparative shot from HS10 though not same settings, time, location and bee.

-=[ Joms ]=-

DS21
Like?

jcmarfilph wrote:

Silent Oracle wrote:

DS21 wrote:

Silent Oracle wrote:

Here is a comparative shot from HS10 though not same settings, time, location and bee.

-=[ Joms ]=-

I like this one better. Makes me wonder if HS10 is the better deal if one can tolerate shutter lag and general slowness of operation. Thanks for posting this.

Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
DS21
Like?

Silent Oracle wrote:

DS21 wrote:

Silent Oracle wrote:

From what I have seen so far, I am giving up on the HS20/HS30 line, maybe I look for a cheap HS10 as an alternative.

Gary N W
Forum ProPosts: 10,444
Like?
Re: Macro shots (HS30)--Hi Joms

I am a big fan of your photography=believe me on that. Simply put Lady Silent Oracle are right on the missing clarity of these bee images you have posted here. Further I believe you need to look @ your uploading procedure. Maybe make the file size smaller. Last but not least You should not have to do a magnificent RAW on images like this in order to get a really nice and sharp small sized .jpg for uploading to this forum. This is just my opinion. I am not familiar with any benefits and negative issues with the HS30 currently. Colors and framing appear quite nice in general. So I feel you are the artist and you should frame the image as you see fit and the opportunity is best.

Yet some of your critter shots have been really great.

Sorry my friend these images just do not pass muster this time.

Mabuhay and all my best to You and Your's Joms,

Gary N W SFO

jcmarfilph wrote:

Silent Oracle wrote:

I just posted real-world snapshot results now if I want mind-blowing result, I will dedicate time and use RAW.

-=[ Joms ]=-

Silent Oracle
Like?

jcmarfilph wrote:

Silent Oracle wrote:

Actually that's a misconception. I posted a series here in 2010 showing the capability of the HS10 native lens - without the use of a macro lens. You can easily view the history here to verify if you so choose. And it's quite easy to fill the frame. There were posters here who didn't have money for a macro lens, therefore that post. An example from that series after pp (basic sharpening, NR) - and these are test shots only:

And another:

Thanks. That is very useful information.

I don't understand why you'd not wish to make EVERY shot mind-blowing. It seems - given this area of DPR, that the posters want to see the full capabilities of this camera - not snapshots. So I don't get it....nor the attitude. And no, I'm not saying that every shot WILL BE mind-blowing - but why set the bar so low?

The HS30 has a faster focus than the HS10, so that's a plus right out of the gate. But the smearing and artifacting in your image #2 is concerning, placing it no better than the HS10. So why spend the money if there is not a significant leap, personally speaking.

Surely this camera is capable of producing stunning images?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads