NX20 Initial Use Impressions Part 1 - General Comments

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions
HankK
Regular MemberPosts: 389
Like?
NX20 Initial Use Impressions Part 1 - General Comments
May 20, 2012

NOTE: I am not a professional tester but life long prosumer and have owned the Canon 5Dm2, Fuji X100, and GH2 kit.

I shoot RAW only, sorry JPG'ers. I have been using the NX200 as my primary camera but felt I still needed a viewfinder. I had added a bubble level and Clearview finder to my NX200 to make up for the shortcomings. On the other hand I really have liked the images from the NX200 and I liked using the camera.

I received the NX20 on Friday afternoon. So the comments are based on one day of use. I will do this in parts and in the last part provide my first day overall opinion. I know everyone will want photos posted but I will have to see. I tried different lenses, my usual test landscape with buildings scenes, etc and can see no difference in image quality. See more of my comments in following parts.

General Notes

1. Compared to the NX200, the NX20 body is a bit larger and heavier than I was expecting (like a little brick). The NX20 feels well made, is nice to hold, and as a left hander the EVF is in a nice location. It will not fit (with the 30mm) in my present jacket pocket or my water bottle holder, the NX200 did fit and felt light enough to carry all the time. What a difference just a couple of millimeters and ounces make.

2. The EVF was what I was waiting for and I am satisfied, but not impressed like with the AMOLED display. It appears sharp enough, refresh rate seems acceptable (will need a bit more time to test the refresh), and gain-up in near darkness is good. I was hoping for a bit better EVF in 2012 but it is still good. I wear glasses and as usual it is a little difficult to get a full view of the EVF. I think this is because of the larger rubber opening protector. I have this problem with all viewfinders. So this is just a personal comment.

3. EVF is better than the AMOLED screen for manual focus, it is more detailed. Can manually focus very quickly and precisely.

4. The electronic level is great but you do loose all of the screen information because it is a separate display option. I can see that it is something I will be using most of the time.

5. The swivel screen is very nice. As of now, I cannot see a difference in the AMOLED screens of the NX20 and NX200. I used the Clearviewer on both cameras and still could not see a difference. I will have to spend more time in the sun to see if maybe it is different in bright light.
6. Omitted by me. Six was a duplicate comment.
7. The RAW files are 33-36MB so the same size as the NX200 files.

8. RAW file write seems to be about the same for NX20 and NX200 (basic comparison of release shutters on both cameras after both cameras are focused. The camera seems just a bit more responsive but this could be psychological on my want since I just bought the NX20.

9. Battery life was on full after 172 shots and a lot of messing around learning the camera etc. At 201 shots the battery is showing one-quarter left. I have to say that this is first charge of only two hours and I have been doing a lot of manual focusing with my tests. More real shooting sessions are needed.

10. I took a few minutes to try the WiFi remote with my Samsung Galaxy Note phone. It worked but switched my images to JPEG. That was a surprise.

11. I tried to get file transfer to PC to work using WiFi but have not succeeded yet. I need more time to see if this is worth doing. I am hoping for a faster than USB file transfer.

12. At first look, I am not sure that I will be using Wifi much. It is complicated as heck to setup and get working. I only got the remote function to work.

13. MISSING OPTION -- One wish is that in Auto ISO you could set a minimum shutter speed. My Fuji X100 had this and it worked great. The shutter speed the NX20 sets before switching to a higher ISO is to low for me.

14. ONE PROBLEM – When using manual focus after magnification the exposure locks up and will not change until you turn off the camera. Since I like to use manual lenses about 20% of the time, this is a nasty bug for me.

-- hide signature --

Hank K
Samsung NX200 Kit (former 5DM2, GH2 Kit, and Fujifilm X100 shooter)

645D
Regular MemberPosts: 311Gear list
Like?
Re: NX20 Initial Use Impressions Part 1 - General Comments
In reply to HankK, May 20, 2012

Great! Thanks for the review. I just bought an NX200 but good the know the comparison.

-- hide signature --

Muzi

645D's gear list:645D's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Samsung NX200 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
HankK
Like?
In reply to 645D, May 20, 2012

I think you made an excellent decision. The NX200 is a best value, high image quality camera in a compact, lightweight body.
--
Hank K

Thomas Wieser
Contributing MemberPosts: 696Gear list
Like?

Thank you for sharing your experience with the NX20!

Nice to hear that the electronic level works the treat but I am astonished that one looses all the screen info - hope a firmware update can change it.

13. MISSING OPTION -- One wish is that in Auto ISO you could set a minimum shutter speed. My Fuji X100 had this and it worked great. The shutter speed the NX20 sets before switching to a higher ISO is to low for me.

This sure would be a great idea - another point for firmware update.

14. ONE PROBLEM – When using manual focus after magnification the exposure locks up and will not change until you turn off the camera. Since I like to use manual lenses about 20% of the time, this is a nasty bug for me.

Hooe they will fix this with firmware update!

Hank K

As I want the NX20 because of viewfinder and electronic level and both seem to work OK this is very reassuring. Maybe you could keep us updated about battery performance?

Thomas

Thomas Wieser's gear list:Thomas Wieser's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Samsung NX10 Samsung NX11 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +3 more
normsmith
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,372
Like?
In reply to Thomas Wieser, May 20, 2012

Thanks for sharing, I like user reviews, very helpful.
--
my blog http://pinkfootstudio.blogspot.com
never more than 3 posts per page so you will not be overloaded with images.

mhike
Regular MemberPosts: 366
Like?

HankK wrote:

I think you made an excellent decision. The NX200 is a best value, high image quality camera in a compact, lightweight body.
--
Hank K

hah!

AndricD
Regular MemberPosts: 222Gear list
Like?

"10. I took a few minutes to try the WiFi remote with my Samsung Galaxy Note phone. It worked but switched my images to JPEG. That was a surprise. "

thats bad news - really hope they can change that. Want a remote release but now jpeg :/

AndricD's gear list:AndricD's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 ED OIS Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED +3 more
wictred
Contributing MemberPosts: 835Gear list
Like?

Hank,
thanks for the review

Does the NX20 still block menu access / AF selection during processing or is this solved now?

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
MGJA
Regular MemberPosts: 303Gear list
Like?

HankK wrote:

3. EVF is better than the AMOLED screen for manual focus, it is more detailed. Can manually focus very quickly and precisely.

Did you use magnification for manual focus, or does the camera provide other MF assistance modes?

And thanks for a dispassionate, reasonable and focused-on-the-photographer run-down. Truly a pleasure to partake of.

tjobbe
Contributing MemberPosts: 983Gear list
Like?
In reply to MGJA, May 20, 2012

MGJA wrote:

HankK wrote:

Did you use magnification for manual focus, or does the camera provide other MF assistance modes?

And thanks for a dispassionate, reasonable and focused-on-the-photographer run-down. Truly a pleasure to partake of.

as you can check the user guide since a while you will see that the NX200 and the new ones will share the same DNA when it comes to firmware. As the user guide states all that you will find no difference to the NX200 here

regards the WiFi the user guide states that for the remote view finder the NX20 will allow 20Mpiux and 2Mpix JPG only

tjobbe's gear list:tjobbe's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +16 more
HankK
Like?
Manual Focus
In reply to MGJA, May 20, 2012

I am using focus magnification (7X center of image) for manual focus on the NX20. You press the "OK" button in the center of the control dial to enlarge the image (this is for my Contax/Zeiss lenses. For the Samsung lenses, it is basically the same except when the camera is placed in manual mode you just turn the lens ring for range adjustment and the EVF/LED pop into magnification mode. You do not have to press the OK button.
--
Hank K

HankK
Like?
NX20 still blocks access to functions
In reply to wictred, May 20, 2012

Sadly, the NX20 still blocks menu access / AF selection during processing. It appears to be the same limitations as my NX200. You can take more photos but changes during processing are very limited.
--
Hank K

HankK
Like?
In reply to tjobbe, May 20, 2012

Thanks for pointing out the limitations of JPG only on the wireless remote. I missed this point. I need to spend more time on the WiFi.
--
Hank K

alex_virt
Contributing MemberPosts: 561
Like?

Thank you very much for the review Hank! Can you please clarify about this bug: how often does it happen? Only with third party manual lenses or with Samsung lenses too?

HankK wrote:

mhike
Like?
In reply to alex_virt, May 20, 2012

OP:

How many stars would you give this camera out of 5?

Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?
In reply to mhike, May 20, 2012

mhike_b wrote:

OP:

He'd give it 4 or 5 more stars than you ever would, snake.

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 12,553Gear list
Like?
In reply to AndricD, May 20, 2012

AndricD wrote:

"10. I took a few minutes to try the WiFi remote with my Samsung Galaxy Note phone. It worked but switched my images to JPEG. That was a surprise. "

thats bad news - really hope they can change that. Want a remote release but now jpeg :/

How is that bad news? The owners manual says JPEG only for WiFi to Phone/Tablet. It is supposed to work with RAW for PC connection maybe.

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +7 more
HankK
Like?
Manual focus exposure problem
In reply to alex_virt, May 20, 2012

Thus far I seeing the problem in "A" mode with my third party lenses (Contax in my case). It does not seem to be a problem with the Samsung lenses. I still have not been able to recreate all the settings associated with the problem. There does not appear to be a problem with third party lenses if I go to "M" mode but that is not a mode I like using. The problem occurs sometimes and wants to set the shutter speed at 1/1000. I still do not have enough details.

Again, manual focus appears to work ok with the Samsung lenses.

alex_virt wrote:

Thank you very much for the review Hank! Can you please clarify about this bug: how often does it happen? Only with third party manual lenses or with Samsung lenses too?

HankK wrote:

-- hide signature --

Hank K

mhike
Like?
In reply to Billx08, May 20, 2012

Huh?

Does that mean you're giving it between 4-5 stars?

Billx08 wrote:

mhike_b wrote:

OP:

He'd give it 4 or 5 more stars than you ever would, snake.

HankK
Like?
In reply to mhike, May 20, 2012

It is too early to give it a star rating. All I offered were my first day impressions.
--
Hank K

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads