For every three DSLRs one Compact System Camera is sold - how long till this reverts

Started May 19, 2012 | Discussions
expressocoffee
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
For every three DSLRs one Compact System Camera is sold - how long till this reverts
May 19, 2012

In terms of worldwide market share DSLR cameras are still on the lead when compared to Compact System Cameras representing now a 3 to 1 ration (3 DSLR cameras sold for each Compact System Camera) as discussed here http://www.cscrumors.com/2012/05/19/compact-system-cameras-and-dslr-cameras-in-2011-david-vs-goliath/ .

How long you think will take till this trend reverses (expected to help once Canon releases its compact system camera lineup and Nikon invests in another system) and Compact System Cameras take the lead?

Makinations
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,688Gear list
Like?
123 days.
In reply to expressocoffee, May 19, 2012

Sometime in the morning, I think.

Makinations's gear list:Makinations's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 40D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Holloman
Regular MemberPosts: 140
Like?
Re: 189 days
In reply to expressocoffee, May 19, 2012

In the afternoon.

Makinations
Like?
Re: 189 days
In reply to Jim Holloman, May 19, 2012

You're clearly a stooge of the DSLR industry. (;)

Jim Holloman wrote:

In the afternoon.

Canon PowerShot G9 Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 40D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,053Gear list
Like?
Mirror-less is already a SUCCESS....with or without beating dSLR
In reply to expressocoffee, May 20, 2012

Honest, I think this is a stupid question. I say this NOT because I'm a m4/3 fanboys, but because I'm a Canon Fanboys who just bought a m4/3 for traveling.

Poll like this are stupid because it make a 2 major false assumption:

• (1) Mirrorless must beat dlsr to succeed in the marketplace when in fact, almost everyone who bought a DSLR will also buy a smaller mirror-less for traveling. They co-exist more than they compete, because each platform has its unique advantage: dslr for fast sports photography, mirror-less for lightweight travels

• (2) Mirrorless must beat dslr in percentage, or died and fade away Stupid post like this annoying me to no end. So what IF mirror-less never exceed beyond 33% (1/3) of the market placed. No One is going to abandon their Mirror-less in panic because it couldn't beat dslr in percentage poll. Like it or not, mirror-less is staying like a nasty wart that won't go away. Neither is DSLR, success of failure of one doesn't mean success or failure of others

Also consider this: most people here in m4/3 forum has/had several DSLR. The ardent m4/3 supporters here tend to also own/had own a big heavy Full Frame DLSR. In another words, DSLR sales = Mirrorless Sales down the road: the more dslr get sold, the more mirror-less get sold ( down the road ) as well.

• Wall Street Financials expect Point/Shoot -> Mirror-less transition

• Reality point to Point/Shoot -> DSLR -> Mirror-less transition

When people upgrade from point/shoot they inevitably jump/or push into Canon / Nikon DSLR. They're happy for a while, bought several lens, flash, tripod. Then they Bitch & Moan about their WEIGHT and BULK. Finally, they break own and buy their first mirror-less camera.

In another words, owning a bulky DSLR = precursor to owing a mirror-less . The more bulky dslr get sold, the more mirror-less get sold as well. That is why in Japan, the mirror-less capture 50% of marketplace, but stay there. You need bulky dslr to feed the appetite for mirrorless.

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,469Gear list
Like?
Re: For every three DSLRs one Compact System Camera is sold - how long till this reve

In 4 years it will be 1:1
--
I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
MAubrey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,479Gear list
Like?
Re: Mirror-less is already a SUCCESS....with or without beating dSLR
In reply to 007peter, May 20, 2012

I'm glad I skipped the bulky DSLR stage and when straight to mirrorless.
--
--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +7 more
njlarsen
Regular MemberPosts: 261
Like?
In reply to MAubrey, May 20, 2012

MAubrey wrote:

--
--Mike

Me too. On the other hand, I had a film SLR with a number of lenses including a 450 mm, so maybe not completely

Niels

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,465Gear list
Like?
Re: Mirror-less is already a SUCCESS - AGREE (nt)
In reply to 007peter, May 20, 2012

007peter wrote:

Honest, I think this is a stupid question. I say this NOT because I'm a m4/3 fanboys, but because I'm a Canon Fanboys who just bought a m4/3 for traveling.

Poll like this are stupid because it make a 2 major false assumption:

• (1) Mirrorless must beat dlsr to succeed in the marketplace when in fact, almost everyone who bought a DSLR will also buy a smaller mirror-less for traveling. They co-exist more than they compete, because each platform has its unique advantage: dslr for fast sports photography, mirror-less for lightweight travels

• (2) Mirrorless must beat dslr in percentage, or died and fade away Stupid post like this annoying me to no end. So what IF mirror-less never exceed beyond 33% (1/3) of the market placed. No One is going to abandon their Mirror-less in panic because it couldn't beat dslr in percentage poll. Like it or not, mirror-less is staying like a nasty wart that won't go away. Neither is DSLR, success of failure of one doesn't mean success or failure of others

Also consider this: most people here in m4/3 forum has/had several DSLR. The ardent m4/3 supporters here tend to also own/had own a big heavy Full Frame DLSR. In another words, DSLR sales = Mirrorless Sales down the road: the more dslr get sold, the more mirror-less get sold ( down the road ) as well.

• Wall Street Financials expect Point/Shoot -> Mirror-less transition

• Reality point to Point/Shoot -> DSLR -> Mirror-less transition

When people upgrade from point/shoot they inevitably jump/or push into Canon / Nikon DSLR. They're happy for a while, bought several lens, flash, tripod. Then they Bitch & Moan about their WEIGHT and BULK. Finally, they break own and buy their first mirror-less camera.

In another words, owning a bulky DSLR = precursor to owing a mirror-less . The more bulky dslr get sold, the more mirror-less get sold as well. That is why in Japan, the mirror-less capture 50% of marketplace, but stay there. You need bulky dslr to feed the appetite for mirrorless.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,465Gear list
Like?

MAubrey wrote:

--
--Mike

Yeah, you saved time and money

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Michael Kaufman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,592Gear list
Like?
Re: 123 days.
In reply to Makinations, May 20, 2012

Makinations wrote:

Sometime in the morning, I think.

Well done. First time I've actually laughed form some comment here.

Michael Kaufman's gear list:Michael Kaufman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S RX100 III Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +4 more
zxaar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,243
Like?
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, May 20, 2012

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

MAubrey wrote:

Yeah, you saved time and money

He could have done even better by directly skipping to cellphones because thats where things are heading.

-- hide signature --

::> I make spelling mistakes. May Dog forgive me for this.

MAubrey
Like?
In reply to zxaar, May 20, 2012

I proudly haven't had a cellphone since 2008.

I use VOIP at home with no need for having people contacting me wherever I go.
--
--Mike

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +7 more
Makinations
Like?

Why is that a point of pride?

MAubrey wrote:

--
--Mike

zxaar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,243
Like?

MAubrey wrote:

You don't have to talk on cellphone to take pictures. You can still sip this compact camera system and buy a cellphone and be even more prouder.

Look at this way after 5 years you can boast here that how you were smarty pants to skip whole dslrs and mirrorless to arrive at cellphones before everyone else.

-- hide signature --

::> I make spelling mistakes. May Dog forgive me for this.

Ollie 2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364Gear list
Like?
"reverts"??

I don't recall when it was the other way around.

Ollie 2's gear list:Ollie 2's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus PEN E-P2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +16 more
MAubrey
Like?

It really isn't. It's just a result of being a poor grad student.

Beyond that, it simply seemed apt to respond to zxaar's nonsense with more nonsense.
--
--Mike

MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,062Gear list
Like?
Re: For every three DSLRs one Compact System Camera is sold - how long till this reve

How long you think will take till this trend reverses (expected to help once Canon releases its compact system camera lineup and Nikon invests in another system) and Compact System Cameras take the lead?

The percent increase was much larger for CSC sales (60%) than it was for DLSRs (18%). Thus, your question makes no sense.

The increase in DSLRs is somewhat surprising, but IMO a good thing because it indicates that more people are becoming interested in moving up from a P&S (or iPhone). As mirroless cameras continue to get better, they will eventually become the dominant ILC format.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
DonTom
Contributing MemberPosts: 506Gear list
Like?

Actually, it's a point of jealousy for me, well done. A cellphone is just a bloody remote control for wives and workmates...

Makinations wrote:
Why is that a point of pride?

MAubrey wrote:

--
--Mike

-- hide signature --

"Is that a Filofax?"
"No, it's a Moleskine with interchangeable leaves....."

DonTom's gear list:DonTom's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Makinations
Like?

Fair enough. Was just wondering.

MAubrey wrote:

It really isn't. It's just a result of being a poor grad student.

Beyond that, it simply seemed apt to respond to zxaar's nonsense with more nonsense.
--
--Mike

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads