Anyone knows the real cost of 5D Mark iii?

Started May 19, 2012 | Discussions
New Guy Wanna Learn
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Anyone knows the real cost of 5D Mark iii?
May 19, 2012

Hi all,

I see there are a lot different prices of the 5D Mark iii, in my country and else where...some too high, some moderate and others reasonably low.

Is there anyone who knows the real cost of it, and willing to tell me? Tq.

It doesnt matter which country you are from...if you do know, pls share with me...i can convert it to my local currency to get a rough estimate. Tq again.

New Guy Wanna Learn's gear list:New Guy Wanna Learn's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +3 more
Fred Klaiss
Senior MemberPosts: 1,919
Like?
What is your definition of ...
In reply to New Guy Wanna Learn, May 19, 2012

"real" cost?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
New Guy Wanna Learn
Like?
Re: What is your definition of ...
In reply to Fred Klaiss, May 19, 2012

Fred Klaiss wrote:

"real" cost?

Er, i would say the non-imported version of it...meaning straight from official Canon supplier for a specific country.

That's all.

Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +3 more
Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?

My old Economics teacher would endlessly tell us the real price of anything is what you pay for it. I know of no other definition that has any more validity.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

ZorSy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,941Gear list
Like?

New Guy Wanna Learn wrote:

Fred Klaiss wrote:

"real" cost?

Er, i would say the non-imported version of it...meaning straight from official Canon supplier for a specific country.

That's all.

MSRP - Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price is usually used in "channelled" economy model, where OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) sells through official retail channel (partners). This MSRP take n account about 25% "commission" retailers earn by selling items - however, retailers are free to pass some of it to the buyer. They are as well free to charge more than MSRP, making larger profit. You will be given MSRP if you contact your country Canon HQ sales team (but very likely they will suggest you local retailer based where you live).

Now, you would probably ask "how much it cost Canon XYZcountry to get it from Canon OEM" - note Canon OEM and Canon XYZcountry are not the same entity.

Canon XYZcountry buys goods from OEM and the pricing structure vary for goods - some would include OEM warranties (most likely PRO stuff), consumer stuff comes with no OEM warranties - these are provided through XYZcountry franchise, hence pricing structure between countries vary. In Australia, employees are guaranteed certain minimum wages, have health cover, superannuation etc - making "labour" more expensive compared to some other country (without naming it) where people may be paid less, have no retirement plans or health plans. Other factors include cost of premises, transportation - basically economic surrounding. OEM pricing is not relevant to consumers, regardless how low it may be.

All this is as well reason or better say explanation why pricing varies between countries and why XYZcountry "franchise" will only service items sold through their official channel.

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D7100
mandm
Regular MemberPosts: 464Gear list
Like?
In the US dealers make around 15% on bodies & SLR kits.
In reply to ZorSy, May 20, 2012

MSRP - Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price in the US gives dealers selling Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax and Olympus around a 15%* profit on SLR Bodies and the SLR Kits, the dealer will get a 3%* discount for paying on time, usually due 75 days after receiving the product. The dealer may get an advertising kickback.
Varies by US distributor.

-- hide signature --

mandmp; 100% of my income since 1972 has been due to a camera. My hobby turned into an enjoyable & profitable career.

ZorSy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,941Gear list
Like?
In reply to ZorSy, May 20, 2012

ZorSy wrote:

New Guy Wanna Learn wrote:

Fred Klaiss wrote:

"real" cost?

That's all.

MSRP - Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price is usually used in "channelled" economy model, where OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) sells through official retail channel (partners). This MSRP take n account about 25% "commission" retailers earn by selling items - however, retailers are free to pass some of it to the buyer. They are as well free to charge more than MSRP, making larger profit. You will be given MSRP if you contact your country Canon HQ sales team (but very likely they will suggest you local retailer based where you live).

Now, you would probably ask "how much it cost Canon XYZcountry to get it from Canon OEM" - note Canon OEM and Canon XYZcountry are not the same entity.

Canon XYZcountry buys goods from OEM and the pricing structure vary for goods - some would include OEM warranties (most likely PRO stuff), consumer stuff comes with no OEM warranties - these are provided through XYZcountry franchise, hence pricing structure between countries vary. In Australia, employees are guaranteed certain minimum wages, have health cover, superannuation etc - making "labour" more expensive compared to some other country (without naming it) where people may be paid less, have no retirement plans or health plans. Other factors include cost of premises, transportation - basically economic surrounding. OEM pricing is not relevant to consumers, regardless how low it may be.

All this is as well reason or better say explanation why pricing varies between countries and why XYZcountry "franchise" will only service items sold through their official channel.

EDIT: commission "UP TO" instead "about" - depends on the position in the chain...

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D7100
YoHahnMD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,954
Like?
Re: Anyone knows the real cost of 5D Mark iii?
In reply to New Guy Wanna Learn, May 20, 2012

Yes!

Here in the USA, if the Canon 5D III is not selling at $3499.99 for the body or $4299.99 with the Canon 24-105 f/4L . . . then it is not a reputable dealer!

And not worth taking your chances buying it (most especially if it turns out to be one with the imfamous 'light leak')!

Oh . . . I sell cameras for a living at an authorized Canon dealer!
--

Vote NoBama for Ex-President in 2012

rsn48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,127
Like?
Saving money......
In reply to New Guy Wanna Learn, May 20, 2012

The best way to save money is to purchase used locally. If you purchase locally, you can go pick up the product, use it to see if it works, then pay for it.

The best way to lose money is to purchase a new camera and very low, never before seen low prices. Over the years, I don't know how many threads I have read where the person bought a "great" camera for a "great" price, never to receive it. England for some reason seems to be particularly bad for this.

Within months there will be used 5D 3's out there. Lets say you see one "used" at only $150 below the listed price everywhere (lets say B&H list price). In Canada, don't know all the other countries laws, if I were to purchase a used camera from you, not a retailer, I don't have to pay taxes (the taxes were already paid at the time of original purchase). So, in Canada, lets say British Columbia with taxes being 12%, you would save $150, plus the tax savings to get that camera used at "only" $150 of B&H's list price.

So B&H listed price, $3500 (In BC at Broadway Camera $3800).

Taxes in British Columbia on B&H list price $420. Add the $150 to the tax for a total savings of $570.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is, indeed, an inclusive language."
Ansel Adams

YoHahnMD
Like?
Re: Saving money......Not really!
In reply to rsn48, May 21, 2012

This is also the best way to NOT get a warranty on a new model that already has problems!

rsn48 wrote:

The best way to save money is to purchase used locally. If you purchase locally, you can go pick up the product, use it to see if it works, then pay for it.

The best way to lose money is to purchase a new camera and very low, never before seen low prices. Over the years, I don't know how many threads I have read where the person bought a "great" camera for a "great" price, never to receive it. England for some reason seems to be particularly bad for this.

Within months there will be used 5D 3's out there. Lets say you see one "used" at only $150 below the listed price everywhere (lets say B&H list price). In Canada, don't know all the other countries laws, if I were to purchase a used camera from you, not a retailer, I don't have to pay taxes (the taxes were already paid at the time of original purchase). So, in Canada, lets say British Columbia with taxes being 12%, you would save $150, plus the tax savings to get that camera used at "only" $150 of B&H's list price.

So B&H listed price, $3500 (In BC at Broadway Camera $3800).

Taxes in British Columbia on B&H list price $420. Add the $150 to the tax for a total savings of $570.

-- hide signature --

Ansel Adams

-- hide signature --

Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 11,334
Like?
In reply to YoHahnMD, May 21, 2012

YoHahnMD wrote:

Here in the USA, if the Canon 5D III is not selling at $3499.99 for the body or $4299.99 with the Canon 24-105 f/4L . . . then it is not a reputable dealer!

You mean advertising the Canon 5D III for less than $3499.99 - it can be sold for less if the dealer wishes to give up his profit. Most commonly the "street" price for a camera in the USA is also the "minimum advertised price". This is also why some online retailers have an "add to cart to see" price option as that's their equivalent of the in-store "just for you" haggling price.

-- hide signature --

Erik

YoHahnMD
Like?
In reply to Erik Magnuson, May 21, 2012

Erik Magnuson wrote:

YoHahnMD wrote:

You mean advertising the Canon 5D III for less than $3499.99 - it can be sold for less if the dealer wishes to give up his profit. Most commonly the "street" price for a camera in the USA is also the "minimum advertised price". This is also why some online retailers have an "add to cart to see" price option as that's their equivalent of the in-store "just for you" haggling price.

If you say so.

And that is not what I meant at all.

-- hide signature --

rsn48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,127
Like?
It came with three year transferable...
In reply to YoHahnMD, May 21, 2012

My used 5D 2 came with a transferable 3 year warranty which expires in late 2013. You can still get a camera with a warranty if you know what to look for.

-- hide signature --

Ansel Adams

New Guy Wanna Learn
Like?
In reply to New Guy Wanna Learn, May 22, 2012

Ok, thanks everybody for trying ur best to explain the cost issue on 5D3.

I think i more or less geddit, what u all meant...

No, i dont plan to buy one...just curious to know the cost of it, and maybe how the company, dealer n customer relate to one another in financial terms...like what one of u mentioned the dealers in US get 15% of the sale of the DSLR body alone...another said sth like 25%...yet another mentioned its actually up to the dealer to sacrifice his profit and the likes. Ya, things like that i would like to know.

Many thanks again for the feedback. If anyone else want to add any more info, feel free to do so. If not, its fine too.

Cheers!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads