We've all been duped....

Started May 19, 2012 | Discussions
DonTom
Contributing MemberPosts: 506Gear list
Like?
We've all been duped....
May 19, 2012

Into thinking we are buying an interchangeable lens camera....

For many of us, the lenses stay the same, but the camera body is interchangeable...

Bloody engineers and marketing guys. It's a conspiracy I tell ya....

-- hide signature --

"Is that a Filofax?"
"No, it's a Moleskine with interchangeable leaves....."

DonTom's gear list:DonTom's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 3,960
Like?
Interchangeable bodies.
In reply to DonTom, May 19, 2012

DonTom wrote:

For many of us, the lenses stay the same, but the camera body is interchangeable...

I totally agree.

Case in point : just now I swapped my e-pL2 body onto my 17mm (from e-P1 daytime body) so I could use that lens with a bounced flash.

I have FAR too many bodies right now ...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,181Gear list
Like?
Really depends on your own buying desires.

I have been a Canon dslr user for 8 years. In those 8 years I bought 2 camera bodies (300D and 450D) and I bought 10 lenses (but never had more than 4 at the same time).
So for me it really was a camera with interchangeable lenses.

I sold everything and got the E-M5 with three lenses (12-50, 20mm and 75-300). So I have one camera with 3 interchangeable lenses and if I buy anything more in the next few years it will not be a body but will be lenses.

However for some people it will be the opposite: they stick with the lenses they have and continuously upgrade bodies (whereas I skip at least 2, preferably 3 generations).

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/ .

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,120Gear list
Like?
Re: Really depends on your own buying desires.
In reply to Paul De Bra, May 19, 2012

Paul De Bra wrote:

I have been a Canon dslr user for 8 years. In those 8 years I bought 2 camera bodies (300D and 450D) and I bought 10 lenses (but never had more than 4 at the same time).

I sold everything and got the E-M5 with three lenses (12-50, 20mm and 75-300). So I have one camera with 3 interchangeable lenses and if I buy anything more in the next few years it will not be a body but will be lenses.

However for some people it will be the opposite: they stick with the lenses they have and continuously upgrade bodies (whereas I skip at least 2, preferably 3 generations).

You need a 60 mm lens...

Erik Johansen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,271Gear list
Like?
Joke to revolver.......

Everyone (?) knows optics has been prima for the last 50 yrs.
Yes, som coating has been added, but labor has been reduced...to keep cost down.

Bodies, (wives aside) has gone through a tremendous change.
2012 is almost up to pair with a 35 yrs. OM 4 Ti with Fuji Reala.

But, my Zuiko's (with MC) can still deliver, even beat, the modern cakes......

So, who the hell is selling the great glass? I don't.
--
It is never too late to give up your prejudices.

Thorgrem
Regular MemberPosts: 387Gear list
Like?
Wrong forum

DonTom wrote:

-- hide signature --

"Is that a Filofax?"

You are at the wrong forum. You must post at the other MILC forum -> "Sony NEX talk"

Thorgrem's gear list:Thorgrem's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +2 more
Mike_PEAT
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,977Gear list
Like?
nt)Not for me, eight 4-3 lenses, not to mention OM & Lensbaby!

nt=No text

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
Like?
In reply to Paul De Bra, May 19, 2012

I've had two Canon bodies (D60 and 5D) since 2001, but many more lenses (something like 8). But since I've bought into mft cameras in 2009, I've already had four bodies and have an E-M5 hopefully coming soon, but I have a lot of mft lenses too (five primes and several zooms).

There are two reasons why things are so :

1) The cameras were still in a developping state. Each one brought something I felt I needed : E-P1 had many flaws, it lacked the plug for the VF and it was slow. The G1 had the articulated lcd and its AF was far more responsive and it had a good VF. Then the G3 had a better sensor.. Then the E-P3 had a much better AF and I prefered the Olympus ergonimic to the Panasonic one. Finally I've ordered the E-M5 because I think it is really a well thought camera, taking benefit of all the technologies advances.

2) With respect to my Canon cameras, the mft ones are way cheaper, they cost between 1/4th and 1/8th what the Canon cameras costed at the time.

All this push you toward gear acquisition. However I hope that now that the E-M5 has all you would ever need in a camera, the photo expenses should diminish and get near what the Canon was.

Paul De Bra wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

George Spencer
Contributing MemberPosts: 544Gear list
Like?
Re: We've all been duped....

DonTom wrote:

Leica is a perfect example of that. My lenses have remained the same for years but the bodies have changed.

George Spencer's gear list:George Spencer's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Leica M8 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EOS 6D
Mike Ronesia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,538Gear list
Like?

2 bodies GF1 and GH2 Which are both used by my wife and I. 8 lenses which are all used except for the 14-42 kit. My next purchase will be the 75 1.8 if it is indeed $800.
--
It's easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission.

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Mike Ronesia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,538Gear list
Like?
In reply to George Spencer, May 19, 2012

George Spencer wrote:

DonTom wrote:

Leica is a perfect example of that. My lenses have remained the same for years but the bodies have changed.

For me this is still a young system and I am still sorting out my lens collection. I'm sure at some point I'll have the glass selection I want and then my buying will shift to bodies. I think I'm getting close to rounding out my lenses, but I still have a few on my list.
--
It's easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission.

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
jcuknz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,992Gear list
Like?
Re: We've all been duped....No it is the nature of the beast
In reply to Mike Ronesia, May 19, 2012

People collect or change bodies others change lenses while others concentrate on taking photographs ....I have two M4/3 lens and two bodies to use them on. The second body as having a spare lens sitting in its wrapper in the draw.

jcuknz's gear list:jcuknz's gear list
Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,285Gear list
Like?
Re: Lenses are the system.

DonTom wrote:

When cameras were mechanical, you'd plan to keep one for years and would. Very little would change from model to model, year to year, so there wasn't this hyper, frantic upgrade cycle and compulsion of today. Over time you'd add a few lenses. Eventually, you'd replace the camera and use the same lenses.

The lenses were the system.

The only difference now is that cameras are now electronic devices, handheld computers you attach lenses to. As features are refined... speed, ISO and AF performance improve, you upgrade the camera and keep using the lenses.

Not much has changed except for the accelerated upgrade cycle.

The cool thing about using the M4/3 system is that now I can merge past systems into the current system. The Nikon lenses I bought in the late 80s I use with the Pentax lenses my late father-in-law bought in 1970 along side the Olympus OM telephoto my late grandfather bought in the early 80s. All those work with my new, electronic M4/3 camera and lenses.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +24 more
happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,766Gear list
Like?
Huh

It's still an interchangable lens system ...it's not up to the manufacturer's to make you buy a lens ...or do wnat every camera body to come with at least two lenses?

Note to marketers - here is a guy who just helped you out with selling an extra lens for every body bought.

DonTom wrote:

-- hide signature --

"Is that a Filofax?"

-- hide signature --

http://www.wanderinground.wordpress.com
http://www.pbase.com/happypoppeye

It's almost all opinion folks, gonna have to deal with it.

Equipment: 1 Finger, an eye, a camera body and 50mm (equivalent) lens, half a brain, and a lot of money leftover to spend on using that equipment

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,787Gear list
Like?
Re: Wrong forum
In reply to Thorgrem, May 20, 2012

Thorgrem wrote:

DonTom wrote:

You are at the wrong forum. You must post at the other MILC forum -> "Sony NEX talk"

LOL, I've bought 5 native lenses since February and run 6-7 lenses (+2 converters) in my bag at all times. I was almost talked into a 6th native lens, but I decided to wait and see what comes out at the end of this year.

I'm not gonna be a dick about it, but I do find this irony sweet.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +16 more
Susan G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,439
Like?
In reply to Paul De Bra, May 20, 2012

Been thinking about selling all my DSLR lenses and cameras, too, to get the OMD -- but I'm wondering if you miss not having something in between the 50 and 75 mm available? (i.e., 12-50 and 75-300) Seems like that 55-75 range is missing and only covered by the 40-150, which I've heard isn't all that good. (Is that true?)

Susan
--

http://www.pbase.com/susan_gordon

berni29
Senior MemberPosts: 1,343Gear list
Like?
In reply to Susan G, May 20, 2012

Hi

I remember on the 4/3 forum that people said that good glass never really becomes outdated, but actually t is not true, and it is m4/3 that has made it so. What use is an Olympus 14-54, or 12-60mm on an OMD or Pen given the size and AF performance limitations vs the m4/3 equivalents? this will become more true as time goes on.

-- hide signature --

Berni29

OMD, GH1 + Pana 20mm & 14-45mm (prev E30, E510, E1)

berni29's gear list:berni29's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Thorgrem
Regular MemberPosts: 387Gear list
Like?
In reply to DtEW, May 20, 2012

DtEW wrote:

LOL, I've bought 5 native lenses since February and run 6-7 lenses (+2 converters) in my bag at all times. I was almost talked into a 6th native lens, but I decided to wait and see what comes out at the end of this year.

So you have almost al the native NEX lensens. Good for you.

Let mee see:
16mm
18-55mm
18-200mm
30mm
55-210mm
24mm
50mm
18-200mm tamron
30mm sigma
19mm sigma

10 lenses and you have 7 of them (and some are even still not available) . You must be a very good costumer. Contrary to almost all other NEX owners who are complaining about the available lenses. To little, to late and a lot who don't have enough quality for the money.

NEX-3
NEX-5
NEX-C3
NEX-5N
NEX-7
NEX-F3
FX-1000

7 camera's (1 announcement , 1 other announcement will follow soon, NEX-F5).

Almost a real Mirrorless Interchangeable-Body Camera (MIBC)

Thorgrem's gear list:Thorgrem's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +2 more
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,181Gear list
Like?
Don't worry about making the move to m43. I'm happy I did.
In reply to Susan G, May 20, 2012

With 16MP there is so much cropping power that when 50mm is just not long enough I tend to just crop a bit. So no the gap between 50 and 75mm is not a problem at all. But I think the gap between 50 and 100 would have been more of a problem, had I gone for the Pana 100-300.

Soon the gap will be filled by the new Pana 35-100 which should be very good and very expensive. So I tried to anticipate this and got the 75-300 in order not to be tempted to get the 35-100.

-- hide signature --

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,787Gear list
Like?
In reply to Thorgrem, May 20, 2012

Thorgrem wrote:

10 lenses and you have 7 of them (and some are even still not available) . You must be a very good costumer. Contrary to almost all other NEX owners who are complaining about the available lenses. To little, to late and a lot who don't have enough quality for the money.

NEX-3
NEX-5
NEX-C3
NEX-5N
NEX-7
NEX-F3
FX-1000

7 camera's (1 announcement , 1 other announcement will follow soon, NEX-F5).

Still doesn't change the irony.

And if there's any doubt of availability and whether I have them, my gallery features samples w/EXIFs from every one of them.

It's funny that you're choosing to include bodies that have long gone out of production (3 and 5), and ones that haven't hit the market (F3) nor even announced (F5) to exaggerate your point. Is winning an argument by any means possible that important to you?

Almost a real Mirrorless Interchangeable-Body Camera (MIBC)

Again, this is the irony I'm pointing out. Because by your standard, the system as I have realized it is much more of interchangeable lens system than most people here. So that says something about your standard, or rather double-standard.

And I'm in the process of pruning lenses from my bag to take for my bike tour of Angel Island with a photography group tomorrow. Traveling light. Taking only 3 lenses and two converters.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads