canon question from a Nikon guy.

Started May 19, 2012 | Discussions
bobcat3610
Contributing MemberPosts: 706
Like?
canon question from a Nikon guy.
May 19, 2012

Greetings, I come in peace. A friend of mine wants to buy his wife a dslr for her birthday and she is a Canon girl. He asked me for advise on which one to get her but honestly I don't know the Canon system. I'm thinking something in the entry level, T3i - T2 - T2i. Which of the three would you guys choose and why? In the Nikon line up I would have chosen a D3100 or D5100 for her but I don't know what the Canon equivalent of those would be. Thank you so much for your help.

Digirame
Forum ProPosts: 28,473
Like?
Re: canon question from a Nikon guy.
In reply to bobcat3610, May 19, 2012

Either the T2i (550D) or T3i (600D) camera with the dual kit EF-S lenses would be good. These would be the 18-55mm IS lens and 55-250mm IS lens. Or some prefer just one EF-S lens, and that would be the 18-135mm IS lens.

That's a good starting point. Of course, there's more expensive lenses available, but these EF-S lenses are high quality and are relatively small & lightweight. I decided on the Canon T2i (550D) over the Canon T3i (600D) because I didn't need the extra features and the specifications were similar. The Canon T2i cost less, and eventually I got another one.

You might have your friend check the reviews of both of these cameras from Dpreview. They both got very high marks. I've been using this system for about 5 months now, in addition to the Olympus DSLR cameras that I also use.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photonius
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,076
Like?
In reply to Digirame, May 19, 2012

Digirame wrote:

Either the T2i (550D) or T3i (600D) camera with the dual kit EF-S lenses would be good. These would be the 18-55mm IS lens and 55-250mm IS lens. Or some prefer just one EF-S lens, and that would be the 18-135mm IS lens.

Yes, I agree with this statement.

The main difference between the 550D and the 600D is the movable screen. Useful for life-view macros when shooting near the ground, or holding the camera high over crowds, and of course useful for video shooting. Otherwise, a movable screen is something that can break, so if you don't need it...

the 550D and 600D have slightly different hand-grips (600D deeper), so the person should perhaps try which lies better in the hand.

That's a good starting point. Of course, there's more expensive lenses available, but these EF-S lenses are high quality and are relatively small & lightweight. I decided on the Canon T2i (550D) over the Canon T3i (600D) because I didn't need the extra features and the specifications were similar. The Canon T2i cost less, and eventually I got another one.

You might have your friend check the reviews of both of these cameras from Dpreview. They both got very high marks. I've been using this system for about 5 months now, in addition to the Olympus DSLR cameras that I also use.

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

Narcosynthesis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,458
Like?
In reply to photonius, May 19, 2012

Canon are slightly awkward in that they have two naming systems depending on whether you are in the US or the rest of the world, and also seem to have a couple of generations currently available, not just the latest (so you can pick up the previous model for a decent price). To try and give a rough comparison:

The Nikon 3000 series would be roughly comparable to the base model Canon, the 1000d/XS (the older model) and the 1100d/T3 (the current model

The Nikon 5000 series would be roughly comparable to the Canon 550d/T2i (the previous model) and the Canon 600d/T3i (the current model)

The European naming system tends to be the simplest - the less digits in the name, the better the camera (The 60d is better than the 600d, which is better than the 1100d) and within a series the highest number is typically the newest (the 600d is newer than the 550d, which is newer than the 500d, all the way back to the 300d)

The US naming seems somewhat idiotic in comparison, especially as it has evolved over time. In terms of the xxxd series, it has evolved as: Canon Digital Rebel, Rebel XT, XTi, XSi, T1i, T2i, T3i, with the more basic model being the non 'i' equivalent of the current model at that point. The xxd and other higher models have all stuck to the European convention.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/narcosynthesis
http://www.illaname.deviantart.com

Sam_Oslo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,417Gear list
Like?

I don't have enough hands on experience or information about technical differences between Canon 5x, 6x or 7x, but they are all using the same sensor with same IQ. I've seen many good deals on 550D lately, some with lenses-bundle too.

If you follow with sales-events you may find a good deal on 550D. That's how I got my 550D + 18-135mm IS for a couple of weeks ago.

Sam_Oslo's gear list:Sam_Oslo's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 20mm F2.8 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +2 more
guinness2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,597
Like?

I would choose last or before-last model od xxxD, I mean 600D or 550D with kit lens or double kit. Aviod cut-off versions like 1000D od 1100D , when money is not critical. I am not saying they are bad, but downsized.
Modern Canon kit lenses are fine.

WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,204Gear list
Like?
In reply to bobcat3610, May 20, 2012

I wouldn't buy her a camera unless I knew which one, or at least fairly specifically what kind, she wants.

-- hide signature --

Check out the unofficial Rebel forum FAQ - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Iron Mike
Regular MemberPosts: 154Gear list
Like?
Re: camera purchase for partner
In reply to WilbaW, May 20, 2012

A DSLR is a pretty big purchase...I agree with WilbaW; if you get her something and its not what she wants/has in mind, she might be annoyed. For the sake of your relationship, find out what she wants first...

Mike

Iron Mike's gear list:Iron Mike's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +1 more
bobcat3610
Contributing MemberPosts: 706
Like?
Thanks for your help everybody.
In reply to WilbaW, May 20, 2012

I told him the T2i offered alotta bang for the buck. He said she had used one that a friend owned and she really liked it. That and the 18-55 kit lens should get her off to a good start. Thanks again.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads