D800 or used D3X?

Started May 18, 2012 | Discussions
russbarnes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,076Gear list
Like?
D800 or used D3X?
May 18, 2012

I have a D800 already, but I'm considering a second body. I lusted after a D3X for 2 years right up to the point the D800 was unveiled. If you were offered a lightly used D3X today for the same price as a new D800 which would you buy?

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +3 more
The Big One
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,360Gear list
Like?
D800
In reply to russbarnes, May 18, 2012
-- hide signature --

--Wyatt
http://photos.digitalcave.ca
All images (c) unless otherwise specified, please ask me before editing.

The Big One's gear list:The Big One's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wanchese
Senior MemberPosts: 2,206
Like?
Re: D800 or used D3X?

Great question. For the same price, I think I'd go D3X. I have one on loan now, and have rented them occasionally. The quality of the D3X files is superb, the ergos are top notch and I prefer the dual CF cards and the trusty En-El4 batteries. So for the same price, I'd be tilting towards the D3X.

Here in Los Angeles, the CL prices for the D3X though are still around $4500. At that price, I will just have to make do with an extra 12mpx, better AF and high ISO performance and 1080p video.

The sacrifices I am willing to make......

-- hide signature --

You Will Never Walk Alone

russbarnes
Like?
In reply to Wanchese, May 18, 2012

The argument is even narrower for me - I don't want or need video which means I'm pretty much at full pro build quality + 24MP against great DR, sensor cleaning, lighter body + 36MP.

I don't actually this it's a very straight forward choice....

Wanchese wrote:

Great question. For the same price, I think I'd go D3X. I have one on loan now, and have rented them occasionally. The quality of the D3X files is superb, the ergos are top notch and I prefer the dual CF cards and the trusty En-El4 batteries. So for the same price, I'd be tilting towards the D3X.

Here in Los Angeles, the CL prices for the D3X though are still around $4500. At that price, I will just have to make do with an extra 12mpx, better AF and high ISO performance and 1080p video.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +3 more
jadot
Regular MemberPosts: 130Gear list
Like?
D800 NT
-- hide signature --

examples of my photography at http://www.alexanderleaman.co.uk

Flashlight
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,216
Like?
For landscapes? D3200 n/t
-- hide signature --

Philip

HobbiesAreFun
Senior MemberPosts: 2,384Gear list
Like?

A good question to ask yourself is what do you want it for? Are you going to go to the roughest conditions? Do you want to be able to have a lighter or heavier body depending on the situation? Would you rather go for build quality over image quality, though perhaps at a more manageable file size?

You've got a lot of questions to ask yourself. I would say that for most people, the D800 is the way to go over the D3x. Better DR at all ISOs, much better high ISO performance, a new AF system, and more resolution. The downsides are a D(X)00 body instead of a D(X) body and the increased file size (which is a joy and a burden).

It's up to you.

Figure out what you're going to do the most and what you need to do that best.
Then you can decide. Trust your gut and don't turn back.
--
-Eric (17 years old with tons of things I can't wait to learn)
http://eswenson.smugmug.com

HobbiesAreFun's gear list:HobbiesAreFun's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +5 more
Doug Pitts
Senior MemberPosts: 2,089
Like?
In reply to HobbiesAreFun, May 18, 2012

...I just picked up a pre-owned D3s (I have a D3), and am thoroughly enjoying it....it all depends on what subject matter you normally shoot.

mwphotog
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?

D3x, no doubt about it.

I'm currently using a D3s alongside my D800 and much prefer the pro body style. Since I shoot from a tripod I'm not concerned about size or weight. The D3s is a real joy to use; solid, built like a tank, buttons aren't crammed together like they are on the smaller body styles. I also would feel more confident in the D3s/D3x ability to withstand harsh weather conditions as compared to the D800.

The difference in image quality between the D3x and D800 should be rather small.

An alternative choice for a second body would be the 800E.

CaryTheLabelGuy
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?
In reply to mwphotog, May 18, 2012

D800, hands-down. I own a D3s and a D800 and have zero problems with the build quality and ergonomics of the D800. With the MB-D12 battery grip, the D800 is very solid and handles very well. In some ways, I prefer the D800's ergonomics to the D3s/x. I shot with the D800 in pouring rain yesterday and had no issues. I would have no problems doing this ith the D3s, but it's nice to know the D800 can handle the extremes as well.

The D3x can't come close to the D800 in image quality. Don't get me wrong, I love the D3x, but the D800's sensor makes it look silly.

My D800 copy has over 7200 clicks and not a single issue thus far.

CaryTheLabelGuy's gear list:CaryTheLabelGuy's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +19 more
m_appeal
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,434
Like?
I wouldn't even consider a D3x for the same price
In reply to russbarnes, May 19, 2012

It's not the most current technology. Only get it if you like the gripped body/controls/and abuse your camera like hell.

HobbiesAreFun
Senior MemberPosts: 2,384Gear list
Like?
In reply to Doug Pitts, May 19, 2012

True, but that's a totally different story. Picking up a D3s instead of a D800 is different from a D3x and a D800. The D3s is not attempting to do the same things as the D800. It's a high ISO, High FPS, Autofocus accuracy and tracking sports camera. The D3x is more for high resolution and dynamic range, and is outclassed in both by the D800. The D800 can't fill the role of a D3s, but it can fill the role of a D3x.

Doug Pitts wrote:

...I just picked up a pre-owned D3s (I have a D3), and am thoroughly enjoying it....it all depends on what subject matter you normally shoot.

-- hide signature --

-Eric (17 years old with tons of things I can't wait to learn)
http://eswenson.smugmug.com

HobbiesAreFun's gear list:HobbiesAreFun's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +5 more
Tizzio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,929
Like?
D3X

If you already have a D800 already... why not get that D3x for the pro body built, and I dont need 36MP all the time to be frank. At the same price of a D800; I would snap it in a heart beat .

russbarnes wrote:

The argument is even narrower for me - I don't want or need video which means I'm pretty much at full pro build quality + 24MP against great DR, sensor cleaning, lighter body + 36MP.

I don't actually this it's a very straight forward choice....

Wanchese wrote:

-- hide signature --

steveperry
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?

I had a D3x (two in fact) and now own a aD800. The D3x is a killer camera with better build, better viewfinder, better crop overlays, better battery cover, better ergonomics, and I'd be willing to bet it's not only more rugged but also more weather sealed. Honestly, when I got my D800 all I could say was, "Yeah, it's nice"

That said - the files from the D800 are better. Not worlds better, but they are nicer to work with. Less noise, more resolution, and I love the DR and color.

But I miss - really miss - that pro body.

So, it all depends on what you want.

Teila Day
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,239
Like?
D800 unless you really need pro body

I love the pro bodies far better than the other bodies. I like the integrated vertical grip, the quick controls/buttons, etc... but there is no way I'd pay the same price for a D3x as a D800.

I would go with a D800 unless I had a really, really pressing need for the pro body in addition to the resolution OR unless the pro body offered real-world performance differences heads above the D800 (e.g. 6fps shooting raw with a 20 frame buffer, etc..)
Otherwise... no way.

-- hide signature --
gnagel
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,559
Like?

For the same price, it's a no brainer--D800.

Glenn

russbarnes wrote:

I have a D800 already, but I'm considering a second body. I lusted after a D3X for 2 years right up to the point the D800 was unveiled. If you were offered a lightly used D3X today for the same price as a new D800 which would you buy?

brokensocialscenester
Regular MemberPosts: 410
Like?

Between the two, D800, easily. The D3x was basically good for one thing: resolution. However, the D800 beats it there and in nearly every other functional category.
--
dekalb wedding photography
chicago wedding photographer
http://www.mikeandfrida.com

russbarnes
Like?
Re: Interesting set of views...
In reply to gnagel, May 19, 2012

Maybe a D800E and grip after all... Hmmmmmmmmmmm. It's interesting to hear from people who have owned the D3X talking about the latitude of D800 files. At the end of the day that's what it's all about isn't it?

bbbinohio
Contributing MemberPosts: 956Gear list
Like?
EASILY the D800 (for me)

iI am not a video fan either, but even when I give that up, this is absolute "No Brainer" for me.

1) Much Better in Low Light.

2) Smaller, Lighter Body

3) Built in Sensor Cleaning

4) Pop-Up Flash (very useful in multiple ways)

5) Much Better Dynamic Range

6) Better IQ in EVERY Respect. (according to Pros who have Owned them Both)

7) Considerably Sharper Images.

8) TWO Cameras in One (Crop + Full Frame)

9) The Ability to Make Much Larger, High Quality Prints.

10) The Option to Get Rid of the AA Filter (D800E)

Bob

bbbinohio's gear list:bbbinohio's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
studio460
Contributing MemberPosts: 612Gear list
Like?
Re: Interesting set of views...

russbarnes wrote:

Maybe a D800E and grip after all... Hmmmmmmmmmmm. It's interesting to hear from people who have owned the D3X talking about the latitude of D800 files. At the end of the day that's what it's all about isn't it?

Just get the D800e and the (over-priced) grip. You won't regret it. Dynamic range, superior SNR, dust thingie, and improved AF. Those are significant benefits. I bought a D800 last night (mainly just because I could), then immediately regretted it. I got lucky and read the Best Buy post tonight, then ordered a D800e instead (I ordered the grip weeks ago in anticipation of someday owning a D800e).

studio460's gear list:studio460's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D3S Nikon D800E
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads