How to turn off auto save

Started May 18, 2012 | Discussions
Simon57
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
How to turn off auto save
May 18, 2012

Can some one please help me. How do I turn off auto save in Lion. My Pages document keeps auto saving every few seconds and I can't find where to disable the auto save feature, I'm assuming it is somewhere in the OS?

Robert Peters
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,330Gear list
Like?
Re: How to turn off auto save
In reply to Simon57, May 18, 2012

There have been some lengthy and heated discussions in the Apple discussions group about "versions" and "auto-save". As far as I know an application can give you the option to disable those Great New Features but beyond that you (and I) can do nothing.

Personally, I think those "features" are an abomination!

Robert Peters's gear list:Robert Peters's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,757
Like?

What is the problem with the autosave? You can lock a document from autosave...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4753?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Michael Eckstein
Senior MemberPosts: 2,073Gear list
Like?
In reply to webfrasse, May 18, 2012

webfrasse wrote:

What is the problem with the autosave? You can lock a document from autosave...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4753?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Thanks! This was a great tip.
--
http://photo.net/photos/Michael%20Eckstein

Michael Eckstein's gear list:Michael Eckstein's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +8 more
Simon57
Like?

I am using Pages. Every few seconds I get the spinning wheel as it appears to be auto saving. If I don't notice and keep typing I loose what I typed. Locking means I can't edit. How do I turn off autosave?

Robert Peters
Like?

If someone wants to use auto-save then fine. There needs to be an option to disable these "features".

Idon't want OS X to become some version of Operating-System-As-Nanny.

Nikon D70 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +11 more
Peter Rongsted
Senior MemberPosts: 1,641Gear list
Like?

Simon57 wrote:

Can some one please help me. How do I turn off auto save in Lion. My Pages document keeps auto saving every few seconds and I can't find where to disable the auto save feature, I'm assuming it is somewhere in the OS?

Something else must be wrong. The auto-save should run in the background and not stop you from working. You should certainly not see a spinning wheel.

That said I don't think you can turn it off. But if you can its in the preferences for Pages (I don't have Pages).

Peter

Peter Rongsted's gear list:Peter Rongsted's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D70 Nikon D1X Nikon D700 Olympus E-500 +35 more
Peter Rongsted
Senior MemberPosts: 1,641Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robert Peters, May 18, 2012

Robert Peters wrote:

If someone wants to use auto-save then fine. There needs to be an option to disable these "features".

Its up to each app to decide how (if at all) to use auto save.

The OS has services to support auto save but the app must call them. The OS does not auto save on it own, so it has not started to act as a nanny.

Anyway what is the problem with auto save? It happens all the time in Aperture or Lightroom but I don't hear anyone complain about it!

Peter

Peter Rongsted's gear list:Peter Rongsted's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D70 Nikon D1X Nikon D700 Olympus E-500 +35 more
webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,757
Like?

I don't see that behavior. I think there is something else going on.

How much memory and disk (left) do you have? What kind of machine is this?

Simon57 wrote:

I am using Pages. Every few seconds I get the spinning wheel as it appears to be auto saving. If I don't notice and keep typing I loose what I typed. Locking means I can't edit. How do I turn off autosave?

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Simon57
Like?

I have found a work around on the Apple support web site that seems to work. Duplicate the page document and close the original. No auto save or spinning wheel until you next save the file. When you save it, auto save starts again - in the foreground and stops you working, but duplicate again and it goes away. Not a fix but as a work around, it works!

Robert Peters
Like?
In reply to Peter Rongsted, May 19, 2012

Fine, fine. It is up to the application to offer auto-save, etc, or not. Any application that offers this "feature" should also allow the user to not make use of it. That's what is know as my opinion.

And Lightroom does not, to my knowledge, automatically save anything unless requested to automatically update XMP files.

Peter Rongsted wrote:

Robert Peters wrote:

Its up to each app to decide how (if at all) to use auto save.

The OS has services to support auto save but the app must call them. The OS does not auto save on it own, so it has not started to act as a nanny.

Anyway what is the problem with auto save? It happens all the time in Aperture or Lightroom but I don't hear anyone complain about it!

Peter

Robert Peters
Like?

Go to the Apple Discussion forums and look for threads from users who have large Keynote presentations. Auto-save can be very intrusive.

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 10,767
Like?
In reply to Robert Peters, May 19, 2012

Robert Peters wrote:

Fine, fine. It is up to the application to offer auto-save, etc, or not. Any application that offers this "feature" should also allow the user to not make use of it. That's what is know as my opinion.

And Lightroom does not, to my knowledge, automatically save anything unless requested to automatically update XMP files.

Doesn't it update its database file in real time? Doesn't it update its previews, thumbnails etc. in real time?

noirdesir
Like?

Robert Peters wrote:

Go to the Apple Discussion forums and look for threads from users who have large Keynote presentations. Auto-save can be very intrusive.

I understand that it can (ie, make the file large enough but then Keynote and pages files aren't actual files, they are compressed folders of lots of little files, though I don't know whether it has recompres the whole folder with every autosave), but I have never noticed anything. It naturally all depends on your disk speed and whether you have some drives that spin down (though I would hope that auto-save does not require a spin-up of all connected drives that any file open or save dialogue needs, the latter brings up the beachball on my system).

Conchita
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,909
Like?

Anyway what is the problem with auto save?

I've already lost nearly 30 gigs of hard drive space to versions in Pages and ibooks author, for one thing (and if you think it's easy to delete unwanted versions you clearly have never tried it). And I don't want to auto save anything. If they'd just let us disable it I would a whole lot less disgusted about lion.

Robert Peters
Like?
In reply to noirdesir, May 19, 2012

I'll check tomorrow. Whatever happens, it's not intrusive.

noirdesir wrote:

Robert Peters wrote:

Doesn't it update its database file in real time? Doesn't it update its previews, thumbnails etc. in real time?

noirdesir
Like?
In reply to Conchita, May 19, 2012

Conchita wrote:

I've already lost nearly 30 gigs of hard drive space to versions in Pages and ibooks author, for one thing (and if you think it's easy to delete unwanted versions you clearly have never tried it).

I would have thought a simple duplicate should get rid of the versions but maybe I am wrong.

And I don't want to auto save anything. If they'd just let us disable it I would a whole lot less disgusted about lion.

Auto-save and versions are two separate things. Lot's of applications had auto-save for many, many years. The noticeable downside of HDD space requirements comes to a very large extents from the versions not the auto-save.

noirdesir
Like?

Robert Peters wrote:

I'll check tomorrow. Whatever happens, it's not intrusive.

And neither is Auto-save in Pages for most people (I have never noticed anything on my system). Lion has been out for close to a year (I had access to Lion for over a year now), and this is the first time I hear from people about the application beachballing due to auto-save.

Tom M1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,692
Like?
In reply to Conchita, May 19, 2012

Conchita wrote:

Anyway what is the problem with auto save?

I've already lost nearly 30 gigs of hard drive space to versions in Pages and ibooks author, for one thing (and if you think it's easy to delete unwanted versions you clearly have never tried it). And I don't want to auto save anything. If they'd just let us disable it I would a whole lot less disgusted about lion.

There is a command to delete old versions at once.
--
-- show signature --

Conchita
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,909
Like?
In reply to Tom M1, May 19, 2012

That depends. You can delete all the versions for one document, but you must do it over and over and over for each document individually.

Duplicate doesn't stop version creation. You either have a whole new document every time, which takes up as much space as if you did a save as every time you edited a document, or you have a new document that is making its own versions if you don't duplicate every single time, and remember to do it before you start working.

I just see not one desirable thing about this whole implementation, and I've seen enough complaints even from major fanboys like Gruber, too, to know it's not just a quirk of my own workflows. It's absurd not to let us disable this in apple software. Most non-apple software I've used that was foolish enough to buy into it (pixelmator, for example) has found it essential to add an off switch if they want to keep their customer base.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads