Anyone using the SEL50F18 much?

Started May 18, 2012 | Discussions
Jonathan_Whiteman
Contributing MemberPosts: 802Gear list
Like?
Anyone using the SEL50F18 much?
May 18, 2012

I bought the 30mm Sigma and the SEL50F18 at the same time. I've had an old ROKKOR 50mm f1.4 as well. What I'm finding is that since I got the 30mm I haven't used a bunch of lenses much. The only other lens getting an outing from time to time is the 18-200mm. I went to take some shots with the 50mm and they were great but for the shots I was taking I couldn't help thinking that the ROKKOR and it's manual everything would have been easier, taken more interesting shots and would have been more fun. I don't have this problem with other focal lengths so wondering if it's the use case (indoor casual portraits mostly). I'm starting to think that I should sell the SEL50F18 even though it's a better lens than the ROKKOR IQ wise.

Is anyone else finding that the native 50's great but they're still using a legacy lens instead?

MBRuss
Regular MemberPosts: 266
Like?
Re: Anyone using the SEL50F18 much?
In reply to Jonathan_Whiteman, May 18, 2012

Is it better than the Rokkor IQ wise? I honestly have no idea, nor have I seen any comparisons. Funny enough, the last 3 lenses I bought were; Rokkor f1.4, SEL50F18, and Sigma 30mm, plus I have the 18-200 as well. Sounds like we have a very similar collection.

At the moment though, the SEL50F18 is the lens on my camera, but probably only because it was the last to arrive. Last night I was trying to use it again and I just find it takes forever to focus, which makes it pretty useless for anything that moves, such as pets. I actually picked up the Sigma to switch over, as the 50mm focal length was too long for what I was doing anyway, but then I got side-tracked and didn't end up using the camera any more last night.

As for the Rokkor, I have no idea why, but I do find the photos look nicer than the newer lenses. Not optically better as such, but they just look nicer and I have no idea why. I'm sure it's a character of the lens of some sort, but I'm not knowledgable enough to know what's actually different that I'm liking. I probably need to get my photos up on my laptop and analyse them, but these days they go straight from camera to iPad, and the iPad doesn't appear to show them at full res.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jonathan_Whiteman
Like?
In reply to MBRuss, May 18, 2012

I think the IQ is sharper for sure. Better? Dunno - that's pretty subjective. I like the softness of the ROKKOR wide open. It's not soft in a bad way but almost organic and makes photos feel "classic" somehow. My favourite shot of my daughter was taken with the ROKKOR.

MBRuss
Like?

Hmm. It's a nice lens, that's for sure. I think I need to play with the SEL50F18 a bit more though, as I've not used it much.

Jonathan_Whiteman
Like?
In reply to MBRuss, May 18, 2012

That's kind of my point. I really couldn't wait for the lens to be in stock and then here in my hands and now that it is, well, I'm just not using it. I'm wondering if others are finding the same or if it's just that they haven't gotten around to it much yet.

MBRuss
Like?

I'm the latter - but mine only arrived last Saturday, so I've not had it a week yet, and don't use my camera much during the week.

I'm shooting a lot indoors at the moment though, due to the weather, and the 50mm range can be a bit awkward indoors. 30mm will probably suit me better until I can get outside a bit more.

zubs
Regular MemberPosts: 378Gear list
Like?

Ditto, it's probably me not getting out much to use it. I am travelling to Turkey soon, so look forward to playing with it then.
--
Keep It snappy

zubs's gear list:zubs's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Samsung Galaxy S III +3 more
Jonathan_Whiteman
Like?
In reply to zubs, May 18, 2012

Please let me know how you get on. I'm interested to see if you use it much or not.

cheers

Lng0004
Senior MemberPosts: 2,602
Like?

I don't see how the Rokkor would've taken more interesting shots... Ultimately, it's the photographer who will take the photos. The SEL50f18 is no doubt the better lens. AF will allow you to quickly snap a street shot wide open . Can you do that with the Rokkor?

SparkleHedgehog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,289
Like?

i was desperate for the 50mm for ages then when the 30mm sigma came out at the same time i bought it based on recommendations and am very glad i did.

its awesome the sigma, totally surprised me and is now my main lens even though i didn't think i needed one

JunzInc
Regular MemberPosts: 126Gear list
Like?
In reply to SparkleHedgehog, May 19, 2012

I love the lens but I am not able to use it much. Mostly i use the 30mm Sigma or the Kit lens. But on the rare occasions when i do take it out it gives me very nice pictures.

Here is one from yesterday.

Regards
JM

JunzInc's gear list:JunzInc's gear list
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Corel PaintShop Pro X4
V1V1D
Contributing MemberPosts: 655Gear list
Like?
In reply to JunzInc, May 19, 2012

I've been using mine more than the Sig 30 lately. Not sure why though.

V1V1D's gear list:V1V1D's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
rrfischer
Regular MemberPosts: 232
Like?
In reply to V1V1D, May 19, 2012

I doubt that the Rokkor 50/1.4 (MD or MC?) would produce lower image quality than the SEL50F18. I don't own the latter, but I do own an MC Rokkor 50/1.4. At f/4, it's nothing short of amazing, corners included. At f/2 it's already very very good -- it's only soft at 1.4. Not only resolution, but the whole image rendering is very nice.

From what I've read ( http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/04/nex-7-lens-imatest-resolution-comparison ), the resolution of the SEL50F18 is comparable to the kit lens at 30mm. This doesn't mean the rest of the image isn't well rendered (constrast, bokeh, etc), but it's disappointing.

Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,926
Like?
At 1/13 hand-held the SEL50F18 is a low-light monster
In reply to Jonathan_Whiteman, May 19, 2012

I have the Minolta Rokkor-X 50mm f/1.4 MC and love it but the SEL50F18's OSS makes it my go-to lens for low-light shooting. I get near 100% sharp photos at 1/13 hand-held, which is just over 2 stops of usable stabilization. I haven't compared the two lenses but the SEL50F18 is usably sharp wide-open whereas I usually have to stop the Rokkor down to f/2.

mrkhong
Regular MemberPosts: 333Gear list
Like?

I own both Sigma 19mm & 30mm and mostly use them for landscape photos. For portrait and flowers shots, the Sony SEL50F18 would be my first choice.

Snapped these photos this morning at a local Homedepot with Sony SEL50F18

mrkhong's gear list:mrkhong's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Bill McClung
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,364
Like?
The Sony 50mm f/1.8 is good, but don't count out the Rokkor!

I use the Sony 50mm quite a bit, but I also use my 38-year-old Minolta Rokkor MD 50mm f/1.4. I have found them both to be excellent lenses on my NEX-7. But, the Rokkor lens is amazingly sharp and has gorgeous bokeh.

An example of just how sharp the Rokkor lens is may be found in the image below, taken with the Rokkor f/1.4. No post-processing sharpening was done.

ORIGINAL IMAGE: (IF YOU LOOK CLOSELY, YOU CAN JUST MAKE OUT AN ANT CLIMBING UP THE LEFT SIDE OF THE PLANT, ABOUT MID-WAY UP)

EXTREME CROP IMAGE: (NOTE THE ANT IS NOW CLEARLY VISABLE)

-- hide signature --

Bill McClung (a.k.a. 'NC BILL')
Image galleries at http://www.pbase.com/nc_bill

NEVER BE AFRAID TO TRY SOMETHING NEW.
REMEMBER, AMATEURS BUILT THE ARK.
PROFESSIONALS BUILT THE TITANIC!

Gomez Garcia Gonzalez
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?

I used it today after picking up my new NEX 7, trying out the mini-mode.

Gomez Garcia Gonzalez's gear list:Gomez Garcia Gonzalez's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
doughead
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
In reply to Gomez Garcia Gonzalez, May 19, 2012

I am sourcing for one and even so don't expect it to be my everyday walkabout lens. My past experience with fast long prime lenses has shown they are for specific purposes, and I wont feel bad if it stays in the drybox for long periods. My old Canon 135mm F/2 sees limited use but nevertheless was good to have when the situations requires.

weavster
Contributing MemberPosts: 913Gear list
Like?
In reply to doughead, May 19, 2012

I've found the e50 is great for low light video, wide open in full manual focus mode. It gives a magical shallow dof quality to the video where the background melts away into that lovely bokeh seen in seen with stills, or starting with the subject out of focus and gently allowing it to emerge out of the fog of soft hexagons. Unless I'm wanting to track hyper mobile kids or dogs in which case use the tap screen focus tracking. Generally its low light OSS combined with shallow dof make it a great video proposition - I just wish it had a 30mm fov!

weavster's gear list:weavster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3
headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,222Gear list
Like?

I use my Sigma 30 most of the time, with my Sigma 19 and Sony 50 only for occasional subjects. I often bring the Sigma 30 as my only lens.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads