HX5V vs HX20V zoom

Started May 17, 2012 | Discussions
DigitalAl
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
HX5V vs HX20V zoom
May 17, 2012

What is the longest digital lenth on these Sony (HX20/ 30V) cameras? I have a HX5V with a 10X optical zoom, but it's able to reach 57X (?) with the resolution set to VGA and digital zoom.

I know the quality isn't that good, but if I spot Bigfoot in the far off woods , I want to be able to take the pic.

Any other thoughts on the leap from the HX5V to HX20/30V?

JordanAT
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
Re: HX5V vs HX20V zoom
In reply to DigitalAl, May 17, 2012

I don't know about the 5, but the 20/30v has a 20x zoom that goes out to a 500mm equivalent. Don't plan on using the digital zoom / re-cropping to a tighter field, though, as the pixel level performance is hampered by extremely aggressive noise reduction, contrast enhancement, and it uses very high compression ratios on jpg resulting in visible artifacting. All of this occurs even at ISO100. The 30v produces wonderfully sharp, contrasty images at 4-5MP, though. And if you hate post-processing, the output kicks butt.

-- hide signature --

Okay, rather than speculate, here's the result (you can ignore my rant above once you see the pictures):

I took two shots, one at full wide, then from the same spot, VGA size, ISO100, which was a 153X zoom. Yeah, that's somewhere around 3800mm equivalent (but with pixels and such, not really). Anyway - suffice to say that you've got to have uber-steady hands for that one. I set it down on a piece of furniture for the exposure:

See that grandfather clock on the far side of the room? Yeah, well here's what 153X zoom looks like:

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 31,871Gear list
Like?
In reply to JordanAT, May 19, 2012

Nice comparisons

JordanAT wrote:

I don't know about the 5, but the 20/30v has a 20x zoom that goes out to a 500mm equivalent. Don't plan on using the digital zoom / re-cropping to a tighter field, though, as the pixel level performance is hampered by extremely aggressive noise reduction, contrast enhancement, and it uses very high compression ratios on jpg resulting in visible artifacting. All of this occurs even at ISO100. The 30v produces wonderfully sharp, contrasty images at 4-5MP, though. And if you hate post-processing, the output kicks butt.

-- hide signature --

Okay, rather than speculate, here's the result (you can ignore my rant above once you see the pictures):

I took two shots, one at full wide, then from the same spot, VGA size, ISO100, which was a 153X zoom. Yeah, that's somewhere around 3800mm equivalent (but with pixels and such, not really). Anyway - suffice to say that you've got to have uber-steady hands for that one. I set it down on a piece of furniture for the exposure:

See that grandfather clock on the far side of the room? Yeah, well here's what 153X zoom looks like:

-- hide signature --

Alan.

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II Canon EOS 6D +7 more
mvpers
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
In reply to DigitalAl, May 20, 2012

i am pretty sure when i tried it out at Best Buy i saw 304X zoom on VGA