WHAT is so great about the D7000

Started May 17, 2012 | Discussions
RLV4422
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
WHAT is so great about the D7000
May 17, 2012

This is a Rant, so I apologize in advance.

I'm going crazy. I love photography. There isn't a day (or even a minute for that matter) that passes where I'm not shooting something. I recently updated my camera to a D7000 - and ALL of my photos are disappointing. I've asked my FIL who is a professional photographer and he says "The don't look that bad"... ugh. He's such a nice guy I think he's trying to spare my feelings. But he doesn't shoot D7000 or DX for that matter at all. Here is my point... don't you think out of a thousand shots, two different lenses, indoor and outdoor shooting - that ONE of my photos would be sharp and decent. Even my husband who randomly grabs the camera and shoots recklessly gets a good shot now and then.

I fully understand that this is likely operator error, but it's so frustrating after several years of being really proud of my work to have nothing from this new camera. I even tried emailing Portland area shops to see if I can find someone with experience with this camera to help me No luck. I'm so stuck and frustrated!

There... Rant complete. The photo included isn't horrible, but nothing is really in focus - and since I like to make desktop wallpapers from my stuff... it's really awful when made large. I know it's a shallow depth of field, but it should at least give me a foot of good focus, right?

-- hide signature --

• Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better... it's not!" - Dr. Suess

RLV4422's gear list:RLV4422's gear list
Nikon D3100 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II
draacor
Contributing MemberPosts: 882Gear list
Like?
Re: WHAT is so great about the D7000
In reply to RLV4422, May 17, 2012

what mode do you primarily shoot in? Also your aperture seems a little too big and may be slightly over exposed as well.
--
D7000
50mm 1.8D
18-105mm
55-200mm
10-24mm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/finalimpact

draacor's gear list:draacor's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Shakens
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?
In reply to draacor, May 17, 2012

the D7000 does seem to over expose with stardard setting
Nikon D5100...Canon SX230HS...Panasonic FZ48/TZ6
Hi from England

Shakens's gear list:Shakens's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +6 more
nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,067
Like?
In reply to Shakens, May 17, 2012

Shakens wrote:

the D7000 does seem to over expose with stardard setting
Nikon D5100...Canon SX230HS...Panasonic FZ48/TZ6
Hi from England

No camera overexposes.

jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,769Gear list
Like?

There is more wrong with this photo than just focusing, but let us concentrate on focus for the time being. I am guessing that your subject is moving toward you. In that case you should have your camera focusing set to Continuous servo autofocus (AF-C). I recommend you avoid using AF-A focus mode as it is prone to errors.
I also suggest you try my focus settings before giving up on your camera.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=40054546

If your camera is functioning properly, you should be able to get some decently sharp images from it, such as this one I had taken at 240mm handheld at the Oregon zoo.

-- hide signature --

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! The Great Oz has spoken!"

• Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
kgbruce01
Senior MemberPosts: 1,245
Like?
In reply to nfpotter, May 17, 2012

nfpotter wrote:

No camera overexposes.

Never a truer word spoken.

nfpotter
Like?
I'll help you out.

We need more information, and probably more examples. EXIF data alone does not usually tell the full story.

-what lens or lenses are you using?
-what focus mode and settings?
-what is your in-camera sharpening?
-are you shooting RAW or jpeg?
-what PP software and process are you using?

Also, under your profile, find the setting that says "allow download of originals", or something similar, and check that box. That way, we can download your originals to view them in ViewNX2 or similar, to possibly gain more info.

mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,447Gear list
Like?

You might want to contact the Newspace Center for Photography on the East Side of downtown PDX. They can probably point you to someone knowledgeable with the D7000 that can help you over the initial learning curve. It may cost you a little for this, but in comparison to the cost of the camera it's peanuts, and free advice is worth what you pay for it.

Better photoshops are more than willing to give small amounts of help to their customers. ProPhoto is great, but I run from Ritz. Shutterbug is at least decent and semilocal.

The shot you posted is suffering from a lot more than just image softness, but you also haven't told us from what camera you are coming, whether you're running with Picture Control defaults, etc., etc. It's possible that you're having AF problems, but not enough evidence yet.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
RLV4422
Like?
Re: I'll help you out.

Excellent point:

The lens here was my Nikkor 18-200, but mostly because the 35MM 1.8 had already upset me I felt like neither were very sharp.

I did have this in AF-A at the time, but I've since tried AF-S (which I like because I can recompose) and AF-C, but it keeps picking the wrong focus points for some reason... which makes me a little crazy.

I shoot in A priority because I like to control my depth of field, and I have noticed that when comparing the shutter speeds to my D3100, the D7000 picks much slower speeds and it seems overexposed a lot. I found that a little odd. Shooting Manual takes me a while still and I always seem to miss my shots.

In camera sharpening was set to normal

Shooting RAW

Post Processing is lightroom (which I removed the automatic sharpening from that as well since it made it very grainy and I'm already seeing too much grain).

Keep it coming! This is so helpful you all!! I love that photo from the zoo by the way, very sharp!

-- hide signature --

• Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better... it's not!" - Dr. Suess

Nikon D3100 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II
TFergus
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?
In reply to kgbruce01, May 17, 2012

kgbruce01 wrote:

nfpotter wrote:

No camera overexposes.

Never a truer word spoken.

Actually....

Won't argue with you on this but we all know he means with the automatic features of the camera, the exposure settings IT comes up with based on the information IT reads from the scene.... there is a tendency to overexpose.
A lot of cameras "do" this.... one way or another.

Obviously saying the photographer overexposes is simplifying the reality that this person is experiencing.

Saying "No camera overexposes" is like saying "no camera shoots back-focused images" or "no camera takes pictures".... or "my D7000 takes good pictures".

Obviously the person pushing the buttons does, but his comment was obviously in regard to the camera making the settings in it's auto modes.

So logic says if the D7000 doesn't overexpose... then the D7000 doesn't take good photos.

RLV4422
Like?
In reply to mosswings, May 17, 2012

Lol - I already emailed them! I haven't heard back. They are probably like "Oh great... crazy lady thinks her camera is broken".

-- hide signature --

foodsci
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?

They do if you are shooting on AUTO, P, and sometimes S mode. While most cameras will correctly expose for the scene being focused on, the end results to our eyes look overexposed. Also, some light meters will expose for a scene and the end results will look like the sample supplied by the OP.

Tee1up
Regular MemberPosts: 460Gear list
Like?

In this photo you have a pretty bright background and well lit foreground subjects so there you and the child don't really jump out of the picture. I am guessing this is close to mid-day which is a tough time to get great shots. I find that so-so shots done mid-day can sometimes benefit from some B&W treatment.

Otherwise it looks pretty sharp to me. Post some more of your stuff.

jimbo68
Senior MemberPosts: 1,270
Like?

The 18-200 is a very good lens. I was wondering why you use manual WB?

Here are some 18-200 pics from another poster.

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 14,421
Like?
Diffrent settings required

RLV4422 wrote:

Excellent point:

The lens here was my Nikkor 18-200, but mostly because the 35MM 1.8 had already upset me I felt like neither were very sharp.

To get all the inforamtion we need to help, you need to upload a OOC Jpeg with no manipulation other than a simple raw to Jpeg conversion. Done with ViewNX2 would be best.

Then go here http://www.dpreview.com/members/settings/profile

And under the "Privacy and Safety" tab check "Allow" under "Allow visitors to download full size original images from your gallery" That way we can download the pic to ViewNX2 and check the camera settings you used. That assumes you uploaded pics/files as they came from the camera vs any change in Photoshop or the like.

I did have this in AF-A at the time, but I've since tried AF-S (which I like because I can recompose) and AF-C, but it keeps picking the wrong focus points for some reason... which makes me a little crazy.

It's picking the wrong focus point, most likely, because you are selecting the wrong AF-Area mode. It sounds as if you have "auto" set. Try Af-S and Af-Area mode "single" and go from there.

I shoot in A priority because I like to control my depth of field, and I have noticed that when comparing the shutter speeds to my D3100, the D7000 picks much slower speeds and it seems overexposed a lot. I found that a little odd.

You may have a setting off. Here is a good basic set up to start from then work out your own personal preferences

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=37815130
Good Luck.

Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 7,709Gear list
Like?

Well this is a bit out of focus, but can still be made to look decent. Lightroom is great for turning trash to treasure!

The 18-200 is a worthy all around optic for sure, but it is no speed demon for focus. Whatever you do, don't start shooting rows of batteries or deodorant cans, you'll go postal. Get the flat focus chart, tape it to the wall and compare live view manual on a tripod with remote shutter delay to autofocus at 100% in ViewNX2 or whatever (AFC 9 points a3 to off, AF On button per the godfather Ray Soares. It works.) You probably won't have to adjust the camera, but it is good to check.

Keep after it and you'll get hi res soon enough, because the D7000 is plenty sharp...

TOR8472
Senior MemberPosts: 1,506Gear list
Like?
Re: WHAT is so frustrating about MY D7000

My D7000 routinely stops focusing and will still take a photo in with focus priority set to on. I have the focus delay set to zero and have to constantly listen or force it to refocus to make sure the focus isn't "sleeping". I suspect some people who are frustrated with theirs going from fantastic shots to horribly out of focus ones may have this problem. My focus issue is not related to light levels. It looks you may have other focus issues that others will help you sort out, but I wanted to mention this possibility to eliminate as well.

I have learned to use it so that I rarely get out of focus shots, but I could never hand it off to my wife to use without having to check after the fact. Awhile ago this "sleep" mode occurred so infrequently that I didn't want to send it to Nikon because they could test for 5 minutes straight and never see the problem (and send it back with an "in spec" notice). My call to Nikon support did not give me confidence in their ability to understand the issue. However, I think it is getting worse now such that they might be able to detect the problem in brief testing and I plan to send it in after I get back from vacation.

I put up with it because I like its output better than my D300.

TOR8472's gear list:TOR8472's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
lee lindquist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,751
Like?
In reply to TOR8472, May 17, 2012

TOR8472 wrote:

My D7000 routinely stops focusing and will still take a photo in with focus priority set to on. I have the focus delay set to zero and have to constantly listen or force it to refocus to make sure the focus isn't "sleeping".

I had to return my D7000 to Nikon service three times, but
eventually, they fixed this problem for me.

nfpotter
Like?
Re: I'll help you out.

RLV4422 wrote:

Excellent point:

I shoot in A priority because I like to control my depth of field, and I have noticed that when comparing the shutter speeds to my D3100, the D7000 picks much slower speeds and it seems overexposed a lot. I found that a little odd. Shooting Manual takes me a while still and I always seem to miss my shots.

In camera sharpening was set to normal

Shooting RAW

Post Processing is lightroom (which I removed the automatic sharpening from that as well since it made it very grainy and I'm already seeing too much grain).

Keep it coming! This is so helpful you all!! I love that photo from the zoo by the way, very sharp!

-- hide signature --

Ok, a couple things here:

I would never use AF-A. That's letting the camera decide what to focus on, and it rarely gets what you want.

A Mode is fine, and many people use it. However, you also see a LOT of people say "I use A Mode", or similar, as if it's the ONLY mode to use. Each mode has a purpose, and should be used that way. However, as you've seen, A Mode will often allow the camera to pick a shutter speed to slow for the focal length in use, the subject's motion, or both.

I shoot 95% of the time in M Mode, with Auto-ISO on. This allows me to set aperture for the DOF and/or sharpness I want, and a shutter speed that is appropriate for the focal length in use (look up the "rule about setting the SS at 1.5 times focal length on DX for hand-held shots) and/or to freeze subject motion, BUT, with Auto-ISO on, the camera still "helps" me to nail the exposure.

Many people think the D7K "over-exposes". This is simply not true - no camera over-exposes, only the person behind the camera can do that. Now, with that said, the D7K DOES tend to expose for shadow detail (like many of the "pro" cameras do), so you need to be aware of that. If you're shooting a high contrast scene, you may want to apply some negative exposure compensation to keep from blowing out highs.

Another problem you're likely having is PP sharpening. The D7K's stock RAW's are often quite soft, and LOVE some PP sharpening. I don't use Lightroom, I use Capture NX2 for RAW development (which is nice, because it remembers your in-camera settings as a starting point to work from), and Photoshop CS5 for a few things occasionally, like area-specific sharpening and noise reduction. I use +7 Sharpening as a starting point, and often go up to +8. You'll want to figure this out in Lightroom, as to what works best, because LR won't remember your settings (I think). Noise from under-exposure and/or high ISO's, and whether or not you're using any noise reduction will also affect your shots' sharpness.

TOR8472
Senior MemberPosts: 1,506Gear list
Like?
In reply to lee lindquist, May 17, 2012

Glad to hear they were able to fix it, that gives me hope. Did the "fix" invoice have any info on it that I could use to help them understand what the problem is?

The main reasons I don't dare send it in is that it is difficult to reproduce as a tester, and I don't want to snap and start one of those "NIKON SERVICE ^& ^ !!!" threads when I have to send it in 3 times to get it fixed.

lee lindquist wrote:

TOR8472 wrote:

My D7000 routinely stops focusing and will still take a photo in with focus priority set to on. I have the focus delay set to zero and have to constantly listen or force it to refocus to make sure the focus isn't "sleeping".

I had to return my D7000 to Nikon service three times, but
eventually, they fixed this problem for me.

TOR8472's gear list:TOR8472's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads