Who's using the D800 for wedding photography?

Started May 17, 2012 | Discussions
eNo
eNo
Forum ProPosts: 11,732
Like?
Who's using the D800 for wedding photography?
May 17, 2012

Now that it's been out a few weeks, I'm wondering how many out there have shot one or more weddings with it. If so,

• What would you say are its strengths and weaknesses, taking into account the entire workflow, from capture to delivered photo?

• What other cameras, if any, did you use during the same shoot, and what criteria did you use to select one camera vs. the other for a given shot?

• What other impressions did you come up with that you would want others considering the D800 for wedding photography to know?

-- hide signature --
bmcdad
Regular MemberPosts: 273
Like?
Re: Who's using the D800 for wedding photography?
In reply to eNo, May 17, 2012
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eNo
eNo
Like?
In reply to bmcdad, May 17, 2012

bmcdad wrote:

Check these out..
Two wedding with it so far.. great but live view focusing only!

Wow. Not sure I'd want want to shoot an entire wedding that way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Home page: http://imagesbyeduardo.com
Portfolio page: http://downeyweddingphotography.com/wedfolio

M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,803
Like?

I've used the camera once for a friends wedding last April.

I'm not a wedding photographer but a PJ, I've made also images at high iso during the party at night,, reduced to about 4500px widest, it gives very good image quality at ISO 6400 in relation to noise.

Oh, and I did use optical focusing (mostly 21 and 9 in C)

Camera is focusing very well even in dark situations, as long as you stay away (at least on mine) from the outer left focus points in combination with wide angle lenses.

Michel

eNo wrote:

Now that it's been out a few weeks, I'm wondering how many out there have shot one or more weddings with it. If so,

• What would you say are its strengths and weaknesses, taking into account the entire workflow, from capture to delivered photo?

• What other cameras, if any, did you use during the same shoot, and what criteria did you use to select one camera vs. the other for a given shot?

• What other impressions did you come up with that you would want others considering the D800 for wedding photography to know?

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
GAK753
Contributing MemberPosts: 814
Like?

I haven't used it for a wedding yet, but I am going to do such in early June. My plan is to use the 20mpx setting for most of the wedding itself and the reception. I'll switch it to 36mpx for the planned/posed portraits. I'm looking forward to using it for this occasion.
--
GG

eNo
eNo
Like?
In reply to GAK753, May 18, 2012

GAK753 wrote:

I haven't used it for a wedding yet, but I am going to do such in early June. My plan is to use the 20mpx setting for most of the wedding itself and the reception. I'll switch it to 36mpx for the planned/posed portraits. I'm looking forward to using it for this occasion.

Is this the only camera you have? Especially for FF, wondering why you would want to shoot it at a reduced frame size.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Home page: http://imagesbyeduardo.com
Portfolio page: http://downeyweddingphotography.com/wedfolio

GAK753
Contributing MemberPosts: 814
Like?
In reply to eNo, May 19, 2012

No, this is not the only camera I have. I will be using my d300 as a backup. From my experience, most people don't order larger copies of the shots that are, for the most part, informal. And if they do, the 20mpx will be just fine. I want to use the 36mpx for the portraits. Those, people usually want larger prints of. By mixing the sizes, it will save me hard drive space and PP time/space of DVD's for storing, etc. etc.
--
GG

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads