First takes with Sony 55-210

Started May 17, 2012 | Discussions
ChefAlex
Contributing MemberPosts: 557Gear list
Like?
First takes with Sony 55-210
May 17, 2012

I give many props to Danny who takes a lot of wildlife and bird photography. It is no easy task... But I decided to give it a shot today at the park and see what happens. I know these are nowhere near to par with what some of you on this forum can produce, but lets not forget that I am a novice. I think I might just stick to food photography. I am dying to try out HDR photography too but I think its a bit out of my league right now. If only I had a sensei lol

ChefAlex's gear list:ChefAlex's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM
Venture Montana
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Re: First takes with Sony 55-210
In reply to ChefAlex, May 17, 2012

Well they look good to my eye and I'm a novice too awaiting delivery.

Is photo 5 a little less sharp than the others due to noise at the higher ISO or is it the fact that it is at maximum zoom and hand held?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lng0004
Senior MemberPosts: 2,602
Like?
In reply to Venture Montana, May 17, 2012

That last one looks OOF then sharpened to me, and yeah probably some blur as well.

Venture Montana wrote:

Well they look good to my eye and I'm a novice too awaiting delivery.

Is photo 5 a little less sharp than the others due to noise at the higher ISO or is it the fact that it is at maximum zoom and hand held?

nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,718Gear list
Like?
Great stuff

This is exactly why its so great in here for us nature nutters. To see subjects well taken that others don't have. I would love to have a crack at that last bird there Alex. Those colours and details are a stunner.

The other ducks we don't seem to have here either, well the first Mallard is it, we do. We have a gorgeous Paradise duck here, the colours and markings are gorgeous in the Paradise.

Just keep them coming when you can, its always great to see and very nicely done. Some great sharp feathering details in there and the colours are great. I'll actually get that 55-210 when I can find it here. So nice to see thanks. Hard to find though !!

All the best Alex

Danny.
http://www.birdsinaction.com

http://www.macrophotos.com/g2macro

Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

ChefAlex
Like?
Re: Great stuff
In reply to nzmacro, May 17, 2012

Thanks. How do you capture these birds in flight? It was really hard keeping my eye on them especially when zoomed in.

Sony SLT-A77 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,051Gear list
Like?

A fine start - no worries. Wildlife and bird shooting takes a few steps - once you get the lens, and find the subjects, then you start capturing them in the best light you can and getting the sharpest details you can...once you start nailing that, then you start working on catching the best poses, angles, framing, etc. I think you're well into the first few steps already as a first-timer to it, so congrats!

The lens really can perform when everything comes together.

-- hide signature --
 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,718Gear list
Like?
BIF's
In reply to ChefAlex, May 18, 2012

ChefAlex wrote:

Thanks. How do you capture these birds in flight? It was really hard keeping my eye on them especially when zoomed in.

Aww sorry Alex, different time zones

NEX is the way to go for BIF's with legacy lenses, in fact IMO its the only way to go and that comes down to focus peaking. I can easily take BIF's compared to the m4/3 camera with the NEX. I would never have believed it was that good.

However, this is about AF and the 55-210. Justin is the one to ask there for this. I see he has commented below in the thread. He really gets some amazing shots and in flight from the 55-210.

So the problem here Alex, is that I don't use AF at all. Just a me thing and its about the feel and challenge.

So for legacy lenses I set the focus peaking to yellow and I find it pretty accurate for BIF's. I use shutter priority and shutter speed is always above 1/1600th, always and the ISO I lock on 200. For a lot of the shots of the Sparrows for example, those are pre focused on a branch and I just wait for them to come into land or take off.

Sparrows, Swallows, Starlings, etc are small and fly at high speeds Alex, those I honestly wouldn't even attempt to track, not even with PDAF using Canon and Nikon gear. I doubt anyone does..

The larger birds are so easy in comparison. So I would suggest you (might be wrong here) set your ISO to 400, set the shutter speed to at least 1/1200th in shutter priority, switch off AF (maybe), use peaking and remember to be patient. If a bird is on the ground or water, eventually it will take off. The AF I'm just not sure of with that lens Alex.

All the best Alex, long winded I guess, but its not exactly an easy answer. Justin is superb with AF lenses and not just NEX.

Danny.

ChefAlex
Like?
Re: BIF's
In reply to nzmacro, May 18, 2012

nzmacro wrote:

ChefAlex wrote:

Aww sorry Alex, different time zones

NEX is the way to go for BIF's with legacy lenses, in fact IMO its the only way to go and that comes down to focus peaking. I can easily take BIF's compared to the m4/3 camera with the NEX. I would never have believed it was that good.

However, this is about AF and the 55-210. Justin is the one to ask there for this. I see he has commented below in the thread. He really gets some amazing shots and in flight from the 55-210.

So the problem here Alex, is that I don't use AF at all. Just a me thing and its about the feel and challenge.

So for legacy lenses I set the focus peaking to yellow and I find it pretty accurate for BIF's. I use shutter priority and shutter speed is always above 1/1600th, always and the ISO I lock on 200. For a lot of the shots of the Sparrows for example, those are pre focused on a branch and I just wait for them to come into land or take off.

Sparrows, Swallows, Starlings, etc are small and fly at high speeds Alex, those I honestly wouldn't even attempt to track, not even with PDAF using Canon and Nikon gear. I doubt anyone does..

The larger birds are so easy in comparison. So I would suggest you (might be wrong here) set your ISO to 400, set the shutter speed to at least 1/1200th in shutter priority, switch off AF (maybe), use peaking and remember to be patient. If a bird is on the ground or water, eventually it will take off. The AF I'm just not sure of with that lens Alex.

All the best Alex, long winded I guess, but its not exactly an easy answer. Justin is superb with AF lenses and not just NEX.

Danny.

Thanks for the response Danny. Long winded or not, it was very informative. I was looking in buying a legacy lense too, just don't know which one. I know I need a nice macro and I also want a nice zoom lens. As for the birds, just have to be patient I guess huh?

Gomez Garcia Gonzalez
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?
In reply to ChefAlex, May 18, 2012

Here's one I got yesterday with the 55-210. I know, seagulls are easy because you can get close...

Gomez Garcia Gonzalez's gear list:Gomez Garcia Gonzalez's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads