Sony PLEEZE stop us from taking pics w/no card!!!

Started May 16, 2012 | Discussions
billorg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,094
Like?
Sony PLEEZE stop us from taking pics w/no card!!!
May 16, 2012

Happened to me today and SO FRUSTRATING. Can you tell me why Sony cameras all let you take pictures happily when there is no card inserted?? It is very easy to miss the "no card" words especially when not using the LCD. My Canons all are cool in this way - no card, no shutter release (you can set this). Am I missing a setting somewhere? Seems all my Sonys have done this...

Bill

ArtiTO
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
+1
In reply to billorg, May 16, 2012

+1 (before it happens to me

But somehow I have doubts that Sony listens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,245Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony PLEEZE stop us from taking pics w/no card!!!
In reply to billorg, May 16, 2012

Using the LCD or not, the "no card" flashes right in my viewfinder. So it makes it hard to miss.

Of course, that must mean you are still using an OVF.
--
Paul

 VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stflbn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,137Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony PLEEZE stop us from taking pics w/no card!!!
In reply to billorg, May 16, 2012

I believe others have said in other threads, there's a setting in the preferences that will not allow photo's if there is no card. It's allowed on purpose so that camera's can be on Demo in stores without cards in them, and then people stealing the cards.

 Stflbn's gear list:Stflbn's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cyainparadise
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,577
Like?
Guess you've never used an OVF
In reply to VirtualMirage, May 16, 2012

Why would you say that? Just because one uses an OVF, it doesn't mean that you can't have a 'flashing' icon in the viewfinder. If you ever used an OVF, you'll see all kinds of info in there.

VirtualMirage wrote:

Using the LCD or not, the "no card" flashes right in my viewfinder. So it makes it hard to miss.

Of course, that must mean you are still using an OVF.
--
Paul

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kzoozoomer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,493Gear list
Like?
Have you read your user manual?
In reply to billorg, May 16, 2012

My A700 has a "Release w/o card" enable/disable setting. Disabled, it will not release the shutter with no memory card inserted.

 Kzoozoomer's gear list:Kzoozoomer's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sybersitizen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,265
Like?
Re: Sony PLEEZE stop us from taking pics w/no card!!!
In reply to Stflbn, May 16, 2012

Stflbn wrote:

I believe others have said in other threads, there's a setting in the preferences that will not allow photo's if there is no card.

People who say that are wrong concerning the recent SLT models. They have no such setting.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,245Gear list
Like?
Re: Guess you've never used an OVF
In reply to cyainparadise, May 16, 2012

cyainparadise wrote:

Why would you say that? Just because one uses an OVF, it doesn't mean that you can't have a 'flashing' icon in the viewfinder. If you ever used an OVF, you'll see all kinds of info in there.

Harsh!

1) My comment was meant as a little tongue in cheek humor, hence the .

2) Way to assume I've never used an OVF. Very baseless and short sighted of you. If you would have taken even a second to look at my profile, you would have seen that my last camera was an A700 but I am now using an A77.

I at least took a moment to look at the OP's profile which showed no listing of gear, so I hadn't a clue what they were using except to guess given the sparse details in their post.

Since I HAVE used an OVF camera, If I recall correctly the shots remaining indicator flashes when there is no card. But there is nothing that flashes "No Card" on the screen, which grabs your attention a lot more than a flashing '0' or '-'. But since my last camera had two memory slots, I always had at least one card at the ready.

So next time before you go on the defensive, do the following: stop, think, take a deep breath, maybe even laugh, then post.

-- hide signature --

Paul

 VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
HobbiesAreFun
Senior MemberPosts: 2,420Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony PLEEZE stop us from taking pics w/no card!!!
In reply to billorg, May 16, 2012

It's useful when you want to test something but don't need to view the shots at 100% later. If you can't remember to put the card back in the camera, don't blame the manufacturer for not saving you...

-- hide signature --

-Eric (17 years old with tons of things I can't wait to learn)
http://eswenson.smugmug.com

 HobbiesAreFun's gear list:HobbiesAreFun's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dlkeller
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,151
Like?
My A700 Doesn't
In reply to billorg, May 16, 2012

When did they change?
--
Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dlkeller
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,151
Like?
Re: Guess you've never used an OVF
In reply to VirtualMirage, May 16, 2012

Posted this already but hadn't read yours yet. My A700 doesn't fire the shutter without a card. Wheni push the shutter and it doesn't do anything I know I need to put a card in. It also stops bracketing when the card is almost full.
--
Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cyainparadise
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,577
Like?
Re: Guess you've never used an OVF
In reply to VirtualMirage, May 16, 2012

Just because you used an emoticon, doesn't mean that it is a universally accepted symbol for 'tongue in cheek' remark. I think 'LOL' is better for a 'tongue in cheek' remark.

The problem with posting (or tweeting or emailing), is that you cannot see the other person face, so you cannot accurately judge what the basis for a comment is, as shown in this case.

I suggest you take a little bit of your own advice before getting so angry.

VirtualMirage wrote:

cyainparadise wrote:

Why would you say that? Just because one uses an OVF, it doesn't mean that you can't have a 'flashing' icon in the viewfinder. If you ever used an OVF, you'll see all kinds of info in there.

Harsh!

1) My comment was meant as a little tongue in cheek humor, hence the .

2) Way to assume I've never used an OVF. Very baseless and short sighted of you. If you would have taken even a second to look at my profile, you would have seen that my last camera was an A700 but I am now using an A77.

I at least took a moment to look at the OP's profile which showed no listing of gear, so I hadn't a clue what they were using except to guess given the sparse details in their post.

Since I HAVE used an OVF camera, If I recall correctly the shots remaining indicator flashes when there is no card. But there is nothing that flashes "No Card" on the screen, which grabs your attention a lot more than a flashing '0' or '-'. But since my last camera had two memory slots, I always had at least one card at the ready.

So next time before you go on the defensive, do the following: stop, think, take a deep breath, maybe even laugh, then post.

-- hide signature --

Paul

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,245Gear list
Like?
Re: Guess you've never used an OVF
In reply to cyainparadise, May 16, 2012

cyainparadise wrote:

The problem with posting (or tweeting or emailing), is that you cannot see the other person face, so you cannot accurately judge what the basis for a comment is, as shown in this case.

Odd...I would think a would have been a pretty good interpretation of seeing my face understanding my interpretation and as easily understandable (if not easier) than an LOL, J/K, LMFAO, or OMGWTFBBQ. Maybe you're just not good at reading faces but are one heck of an interpreter of abbreviations?

As good ol' Foghorn would say:
"That's a joke, I say, that's a joke, son."
--
Paul

 VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fotohouse
Regular MemberPosts: 299Gear list
Like?
+1, don't blame Sony
In reply to HobbiesAreFun, May 16, 2012

+1, why do people think smeone should think for them and protect them from themselves.

 Fotohouse's gear list:Fotohouse's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
billorg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,094
Like?
Yes I blame Sony
In reply to Fotohouse, May 16, 2012

That's a ridiculous statement. Canon just added a locked mode dial to the 5DMIII because apparently people are careless and the dial was always getting hit and the mode was changing. In all my years I have NEVER bumped the dial by mistake - since 1974 when I got my first SLR! So I asked a few people and they all said they were so glad Canon did this so they didn't have the dial move by mistake! So apparently people are not all perfect and some camera mfg's are apparently trying to help when they get these kinds of requests - even if it pis* es people like me off because it is now harder to use and does me no good...Sony could certainly update firmware to fix this. Yes sometimes people are id*ots and they need protection from themselves!

Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kzoozoomer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,493Gear list
Like?
Re: Have you read your user manual?
In reply to Kzoozoomer, May 16, 2012

It appears that the newer SLT's don't offer this setting. Still another case of Sony engineers removing a feature for new apparent reason--and without asking users whether they consider the feature useful. Sony continually does the worst job of identifying and responding to user requirements and preferences of any major company I can think of. "Sony Listens"--what a laugh!

 Kzoozoomer's gear list:Kzoozoomer's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Karl Scharf
Senior MemberPosts: 3,037Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony PLEEZE stop us from taking pics w/no card!!!
In reply to billorg, May 16, 2012

I have a hard time grasping that someone that is smart enough to work with a DSLR camera, does not know when he does not have a card in his camera, and needs to have the camera remind him of this! What's next, a reminder that there is no battery in the camera?
--

Sony SLT-A77 / Rokinon 8mm / Sigma 10-20 f4.0-5.6 / Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3 / Sigma 50-500 f4.5-6.3 OS / Minolta 70-210 f4.0 / Minolta 50 f1.7 / Kenko MC4 AF 1.4 / Sony HVL- F56AM flash Karl Scharf

 Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Antonlm
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?
Re: Guess you've never used an OVF
In reply to cyainparadise, May 16, 2012

cyainparadise wrote:

Just because you used an emoticon, doesn't mean that it is a universally accepted symbol for 'tongue in cheek' remark. I think 'LOL' is better for a 'tongue in cheek' remark.

Hmmm..I read his post, saw the emoticon and knew right away he was joking. But to the op..I have done it but out of habit I always look at the very least my first shot and see the no card flashing. How many shots do you normally take before previewing them? At any rate I definitely can agree it can be frustrating.

-- hide signature --

Sony A-580
Sony A-100
Tamron 17-50 2.8
Tamron 70-200 2.8
Minolta 50 1.7
Minolta 35-105
Tamron 70-300 LD DI
Minolta 28-85
Sony HVL-F42AM

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,118Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony PLEEZE stop us from taking pics w/no card!!!
In reply to billorg, May 16, 2012

billorg wrote:

Happened to me today and SO FRUSTRATING. Can you tell me why Sony cameras all let you take pictures happily when there is no card inserted??

Interesting. My A55 and A65 flash "NO CARD" in red letters that are hard to miss. I have had 3 Sony's, an A100, A55 and A65 over 5 years and never once did I mistakenly take photos without a card inserted. That said it seems that it would be a good idea not to allow shutter release without a card.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,118Gear list
Like?
Re: Have you read your user manual?
In reply to Kzoozoomer, May 16, 2012

Kzoozoomer wrote:

It appears that the newer SLT's don't offer this setting. Still another case of Sony engineers removing a feature for new apparent reason--and without asking users whether they consider the feature useful. Sony continually does the worst job of identifying and responding to user requirements and preferences of any major company I can think of. "Sony Listens"--what a laugh!

The SLT's flash "NO CARD" in red letters in both the EVF and LCD that is almost impossible to miss so IMO the on-off feature is not needed.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads