Any interest in a custom cable release adapter for Nex 7?

Started May 16, 2012 | Discussions
JohnNewman
Regular MemberPosts: 268Gear list
Like?
Any interest in a custom cable release adapter for Nex 7?
May 16, 2012

I have commented recently about using a cable release adapter on my Nex 7 to circumvent some of Sony's strange decisions which don't allow use of the wireless adapter in some modes, notable auto-HDR and AEB. I recently contacted Richard Franiec http://www.kleptography.com/rf/ who kindly replied and said that he had had some enquiries for a custom cable release adapter but not enough to warrant a project to make one at this time similar to the ones on his website.

With Richard's kind permission, I have therefore started this thread (and will send Richard a link) to ask whether any other users would be willing or interested in such an adapter if it was available.

I'd therefore ask that if anyone is interested, they could make a comment on this thread to signify interest. Please don't hijack the thread for other purposes as this is only likely to have a negative effect.

Richard (rightly in my view) hasn't said exactly how many would need to express firm interest. I imagine that, if the project proceeded, he would need to spend considerable time in design and manufacture so obviously the more of you that do show interest, the better. He will then be able to make a decision whether to proceed or not.

Thanks for looking

John

Ezra R
Senior MemberPosts: 2,270Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes - I'd buy one.
In reply to JohnNewman, May 16, 2012

Yes - I'd buy one. Thanks.

Ezra R's gear list:Ezra R's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
walnorth
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
I'm interested (nt)

I'd pre order.

Mike Wee
Contributing MemberPosts: 657Gear list
Like?
Re: Any interest in a custom cable release adapter for Nex 7?

I would be interested in a cable release for under $20. With the requisite curses aimed toward Japan as I enter my credit card info!

-- hide signature --

Ex-Tee-Eye * 50 1,8 * 17-85
En-Ee-Ex-5 * 16 * 18-55 * 55-210 * CV 35 1,4 * FD 50 1,4

Mike Wee's gear list:Mike Wee's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 400D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +10 more
Venture Montana
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
In reply to Mike Wee, May 16, 2012

I'd be interested as I worry about battery power using a remote.

Also looking at timelapse and only the tempus infared looks any good.

Buc522
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
In reply to Venture Montana, May 17, 2012

For sure.

john1027
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to Buc522, May 17, 2012

Yes - interested.

El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,950Gear list
Like?
In reply to JohnNewman, May 17, 2012

Very interested, especially if a timelapse function isn't included in the next firmware update (which probably won't happen anyway). If this is an actual adapter, unlike this "hard" modification to the camera body itself ( http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2012/04/sony-nex-7-wired-shutter-release-by.html ), then that'd be great. I would love to get back into timelapses like I did with my d300.

http://matthewdurrphotography.wordpress.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,600Gear list
Like?
Yep John
In reply to JohnNewman, May 17, 2012

JohnNewman wrote:

I have commented recently about using a cable release adapter on my Nex 7 to circumvent some of Sony's strange decisions which don't allow use of the wireless adapter in some modes, notable auto-HDR and AEB. I recently contacted Richard Franiec http://www.kleptography.com/rf/ who kindly replied and said that he had had some enquiries for a custom cable release adapter but not enough to warrant a project to make one at this time similar to the ones on his website.

With Richard's kind permission, I have therefore started this thread (and will send Richard a link) to ask whether any other users would be willing or interested in such an adapter if it was available.

I'd therefore ask that if anyone is interested, they could make a comment on this thread to signify interest. Please don't hijack the thread for other purposes as this is only likely to have a negative effect.

Richard (rightly in my view) hasn't said exactly how many would need to express firm interest. I imagine that, if the project proceeded, he would need to spend considerable time in design and manufacture so obviously the more of you that do show interest, the better. He will then be able to make a decision whether to proceed or not.

Thanks for looking

John

The only issue I have now with the NEX-7, is the ability to take a burst of shots using a remote of some sort. For some crazy reason Sony has that wireless release mixed in with the burst mode capability.

When on a tripod I want to be able to shoot a fast burst 9-10 fps with a remote.

So yes, very interested in the idea.

Danny.
http://www.birdsinaction.com

http://www.macrophotos.com/g2macro

Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

JohnNewman
Like?
In reply to JohnNewman, May 19, 2012

Thanks for the responses guys. Especially pleased to see replies from a couple of the forum's most respected contributors.

I don't know if there's enough interest though so will see what happens over the weekend and then send Richard a link to see what his thoughts are.

Anyone else interested, please add a response to see if we can get the numbers up.

Thanks

John

nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,600Gear list
Like?

JohnNewman wrote:

Thanks for the responses guys. Especially pleased to see replies from a couple of the forum's most respected contributors.

I don't know if there's enough interest though so will see what happens over the weekend and then send Richard a link to see what his thoughts are.

Anyone else interested, please add a response to see if we can get the numbers up.

Thanks

John

Thanks for your time on it John, it is appreciated. I guess for some it really doesn't matter much and maybe we are hoping for a fix via firmware, but I wouldn't put my trust in that either ;). I actually do have a real problem with this for what I take. With m4/3 I used the wireless remote and just wish NEX had that instead of dumping the ability into the same menu as burst speeds. So now we have a choice of burst speeds or remote in the same menu, so you can't have both used together. Crazy idea for nature and sports IMO.

Anyway, thanks for your time John.

Danny.
http://www.birdsinaction.com

http://www.macrophotos.com/g2macro

Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

JimJ46
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?

Just in case he needs one more person to get him started, I'll put in my request. I just got my 7 yesterday, and the lack of a cable release was the one thing that I truly miss. If they had at least put a remote sensor on the back of the camera, I would have been happy.

Jerry R
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,430
Like?
If it would work for the C3, I'm in.
-- hide signature --

Canon A2E, Sony R1, Panny TZ5, Nikon D5000, & NEX C3/Zeiss 24mm E Lens

pmow
Contributing MemberPosts: 718Gear list
Like?
Re: If it would work for the C3, I'm in.
In reply to Jerry R, May 21, 2012

I'm in.

pmow's gear list:pmow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM +7 more
john-photoguy
Regular MemberPosts: 398Gear list
Like?
In reply to JohnNewman, May 21, 2012

that would be FaNtAbUlOuS! I want one too!
--
Let just all take more photographs!

john-photoguy's gear list:john-photoguy's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D5000 Nikon D300S Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha 7 +19 more
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,410Gear list
Like?
In reply to john-photoguy, May 21, 2012

If the price isn't unreasonable, I'd be interested in one.
--

Nex-7 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Gian Franco Costa
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?

Id buy one

wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?

JohnNewman wrote:

Thanks

John

I have a NEX5n, but if this product http://www.nexproshop.com/ is real and comes to pass I would get one to use on my 5n for product table top shooting.

wll

JohnNewman
Like?

Just to let those who have responded know that I have sent Richard Franiec a link to this thread. Whether he will consider the replies here indicative of a wider demand, I don't know but let's keep our fingers crossed as it seems the best solution for the problem.

Regards

John

felixdacat
Regular MemberPosts: 187
Like?

John...Thank you for this very functional thread.
This is just one photographer's opinion.

If the cable would cost $30 or less I would order one immediatley. Between $30-$50 I would considerate it. More than $50 and I doubt I would get one.
--
FX

NEX-7, 18-55, 55-200
Canon Powershot S3
Former Pro Photographer
Nikon User 1977-2012
I know the difference between an F Stop and a Bus Stop

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads