Blown Highlights / Overexposure in EXR Auto (X10)

Started May 16, 2012 | Discussions
hpscott
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
Blown Highlights / Overexposure in EXR Auto (X10)
May 16, 2012

I've had my X10 for a couple of weeks now, and have been, for the most part, very happy with it.

I particularly enjoy taking quick shots using the optical viewfinder in EXR Auto mode with the LCD turned completely off. Generally, the EXR Auto mode works very well.

However, at a recent commencement ceremony, I was disappointed to see that many shots were overexposed, particularly faces, thus making the images unusable.

That's really too bad, because otherwise I was amazed by the camera's ability to get acceptably sharp images even though due to the limited telephoto range I had to do a good bit of cropping for students on stage.

As far as I can tell, there's no way to do exposure compensation in EXR Auto, is there?

In such a situation, would I be better off to specify EXR SN priority and then use exposure compensation? Or, perhaps I should be using a different mode altogether?

Any tips appreciated.

wymjym
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,266Gear list
Like?
Re: Blown Highlights / Overexposure in EXR Auto (X10)
In reply to hpscott, May 16, 2012

don't know about exr auto but I use exr sn in low light and exr dr outside during the day and with both of these the ev comp dial works as expected.

note...the x10, with that great 2.0-2.8 lens + orby sensor is a bit more prone to blowing highlights if you don't watch (the lcd) it.

wj
--
nikonandricoh

wymjym's gear list:wymjym's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PhotOptimist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,709
Like?

I use X10 in A mode, DR 4000%.
Very rarely I have to dial -0.7 EV to avoid blown highlights.
That way it works for me very well.

CAcreeks
Senior MemberPosts: 6,182
Like?

hpscott wrote:

Generally, the EXR Auto mode works very well.

Not as well as certain other modes, however.

Any tips appreciated.

http://kimletkeman.blogspot.com/2009/10/fuji-f70exr-how-to-shoot-it-mkii.html

max metz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,644
Like?
In reply to hpscott, May 17, 2012

When using the optical viewfinder, you are in part shooting blind and have to be cognisant of that. Either occasionally check how the shots are coming out on the rear screen and/or underexpose for later shadow recovery. No camera will perform as its optimum in a blind mode - hope this helps.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads