Nikon travel lenses

Started May 16, 2012 | Discussions
ppronovo
Forum MemberPosts: 74Gear list
Like?
Nikon travel lenses
May 16, 2012

We're taking a big family trip to Alaska soon and will head inland. Have many traveled with the Nikon 70 - 200/2.8? It seems to be a beast! I've heard of a better strap to support it around your shoulder but the lens is still huge. I'm thinking of purchasing the 28-300/3.5 but don't want to be wasteful and purchase things I don't need. I guess the corollary is, is there a big difference in image quality between the Nikon 28-300/3.5 versus the 70-200/2.8 and 24-70/2.8 to justify bringing one lens rather than two, one of which is huge. If traveling with the beast is doable, the less expensive option to purchasing a new lens is to get a teleconverter. Thanks.

ppronovo's gear list:ppronovo's gear list
Nikon D800 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Windancer
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,648Gear list
Like?
An Alternative......
In reply to ppronovo, May 16, 2012

ppronovo wrote:

Have many traveled with the Nikon 70 - 200/2.8? It seems to be a beast! I've heard of a better strap to support it around your shoulder but the lens is still huge.

This is just an alternative suggestion, I recently was fortunate enough to win a Cotton Carrier Vest at a local Trade Show. Originally I was not overly impressed with it, but when I used it and watched the videos on it I am a convert.

If you watch the video about 1:15 into it they are using a D700 c/w the MB-10 grip and a Nikon 70 - 200/2.8 lens. I have also used the exact same combo and it worked well.
http://www.cottoncarrier.com/video/videos-intro-to-the-cotton-carrier/

I am not suggesting this is the answe, just an alternative.

Terry
--
Graham Fine Art Photography
http://www.pbase.com/windancer
http://gallery.reginaphotoclub.com/TGraham

Remember, it's not the CPU that's in your camera that makes great images, it's the one located about 4" behind the viewfinder that does.

Disclaimer: This e-mail is intended to impart a sense of humor. Given e-mail's inability to carry inflections, tone and facial expressions it may fail miserably in its intent. The sender acknowledges the limitations of the technology and assigns to the software in which this message was composed any ill feelings that may arise.

Windancer's gear list:Windancer's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V2 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ppronovo
Forum MemberPosts: 74Gear list
Like?
Re: An Alternative......
In reply to Windancer, May 16, 2012

Thanks! That looks interesting. Do you know anything about the lens mount for the 70-200? Does the lens always need the support of a tripod/monopod? I'm afraid that heavy lens would break the f-mount.

ppronovo's gear list:ppronovo's gear list
Nikon D800 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads