Which flash?

Started May 16, 2012 | Discussions
Brentliris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,992Gear list
Like?
Which flash?
May 16, 2012

I'm getting my gear sorted so I can branch out into other areas of work instead of just street, and landscape botanica.

In this connection I'm looking to get an external flash. I envision a 2 or three flash setup eventually to get main light fill and hair light. So perhaps less expensive units are the way to go..

Radio triggers on generic flashes?

A used Studio strobe setup?

Pentax 1 top model top model and two more basic?

Reflectors or soft boxes?

It's a jungle out there!

The setup should firstly be adequate for portraiture.. Outdoor fill and event..

Brent

-- hide signature --

Reflections, understandings, discoveries and intimations..

Brentliris's gear list:Brentliris's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K200D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,673Gear list
Like?
Re: Which flash?
In reply to Brentliris, May 16, 2012
 awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NotSteve
Regular MemberPosts: 194Gear list
Like?

Hi Brent. The Yongnuo YN-560 II gets good reviews as a cheap ($75 on ebay) flash. I can't remember which camera you have, but if you've got the K-5, then you'd only be able to use it off camera. As of one of recent firmware updates, the flash requires a modification to work properly on the hotshoe (soldering in a resistor into the flash). I have one, but haven't modded it yet.

Even though the quality is not the best, the price can't be beat.

NotSteve's gear list:NotSteve's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-01
pundit
Senior MemberPosts: 1,477
Like?

I have one Metz 58 AF1 (Pentax version) and 3 old Vivitar 285's. I use a set of Yongnuo RF602 radio triggers. The Metz rarely gets used in anything but manual mode as I use a flash meter and meter everything out.

I also have three studio monoblocs 1 x 600w/s & 2 x 300w/s.

They have more power than battery speedlights when you need to cover larger groups.

Speedlights are less powerful but portable. Unless you need to shoot large groups I would maybe get two or three cheap manual flashes and invest in a flash meter rather than spend big money on a smart flash that is only used in manual most of the time.

Check out Zack Arias "One Light Workshop"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm1puuyojiE

There's many styles of softboxes and light modifiers available. If you get a softbox make sure it is suited for use with battery speedlights (if that's the route you choose) rather than studio heads/monoblocs.

I can recommend the Photek Softlighter.

http://www.photekusa.com/Softlighter.html

Annie Leibovitz seems to like it. She used one to shoot Keith Richards (probably because he needs real soft light to smooth out that leather face!)

Honl make a range of snoots and speedlight modifiers accessories also.
http://www.honlphoto.com/

There's a lot you can create with a few cheap speedlights and radio triggers!

kikivrany
Senior MemberPosts: 2,773
Like?
In reply to Brentliris, May 17, 2012

Hello Brentliris

I'm getting my gear sorted so I can branch out into other areas of work instead of just street, and landscape botanica.

In this connection I'm looking to get an external flash. I envision a 2 or three flash setup eventually to get main light fill and hair light. So perhaps less expensive units are the way to go..

Radio triggers on generic flashes?

A used Studio strobe setup?

An advantage of the studio strobes are the permenent-adjusting-light (ok don't know the right word). I mean you can't see the flashlight, and therefor it's not easy to place the lights at the right place. With a studio strobe and it's permanent-adjusting light you can see the effect of the illumination befor the shot.
One example:

I could adjust easily the studio strobe via the adjusting permanent light, so that the shadow of the noise didn't cover the eye. If I had used only a flashlight, it have been a try and error, befor I had found the right place for the flash, so that the noise-shadow do not cover the eye.

Pentax 1 top model top model and two more basic?

Reflectors or soft boxes?

A link for a example:
http://www.flash2softbox.com/index-en.php

It's a jungle out there!

The setup should firstly be adequate for portraiture.. Outdoor fill and event..

Maybe look at the Studio & Lighting Technique Forum

best regards kikivrany
--
carpe noctem

Unexpresivecanvas
Contributing MemberPosts: 965
Like?
Pundit, which Yongnuo RF-602 Wireless Flash Trigger?
In reply to pundit, May 18, 2012

Hi Pundit,

The timing of this thread is perfect for me, as I have considered for a couple of months the option of getting some remote triggers (as I have so many old flashes lying around) and I have read some positive reviews about the Yongnuo RF-602 Wireless Flash Triggers.

It seems they don't come as a Pentax model and people buy either the Canon or Nikon ones. Could you please tell me which one you bought and from which store? I appreciate it.

Thanks.

pundit
Senior MemberPosts: 1,477
Like?
Re: Pundit, which Yongnuo RF-602 Wireless Flash Trigger?
In reply to Unexpresivecanvas, May 18, 2012

From memory I bought the Canon version as I believe there were issues with hotshoe contact misalignment with the Nikon version on the Pentax.

I bought my triggers here about two and a half years ago...

http://stores.ebay.com.au/hkyongnuophotoequipment

The RF602's are limited to 1/125th sync on both my K5 and K7 otherwise shutter banding occurs.

There are now more cheap wireless triggers available so I suggest you look for a trigger that will sync cleanly at 1/180th with Pentax DSLR's.

Make sure any old flashes you use are low voltage sync ie. around 12volts or less.

Some older flashes run up 300volts in their sync trigger circuits which can fry camera electronics and also some triggers.

Unexpresivecanvas wrote:

Hi Pundit,

The timing of this thread is perfect for me, as I have considered for a couple of months the option of getting some remote triggers (as I have so many old flashes lying around) and I have read some positive reviews about the Yongnuo RF-602 Wireless Flash Triggers.

It seems they don't come as a Pentax model and people buy either the Canon or Nikon ones. Could you please tell me which one you bought and from which store? I appreciate it.

Thanks.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads