Samsung WB850 battery problem

Started May 16, 2012 | Discussions
mhike
Regular MemberPosts: 366
Like?
Re: Samsung WB850 battery problem
In reply to peewit, May 23, 2012

This really does not sound right. Sure, batteries do discharge some spontaneously, but you seem to have a drain. Hopefully it's internal in the battery, which could be remedied with a new one. Hopefully Samsung won't balk on doing an exchange.

peewit wrote:
Hi
Me again. I posted the original query about the battery.

I did like the new WB850F camera despite some features that did not meet my expectations.

I also liked the WB650 with GPS and it served me well for 18 months or so but I felt happy to invest in the newer model that has a better optical zoom (x21) and a higher resolution.

It is the fact that every time I come to use the WB850F I find the battery has gone flat and it will not even switch on that made me decide to seek advice from Amazon who I purchased it from.

The advice came back from the third party supplier and simply asks me to contact the UK Samsung support telephone numbers.

I gave Samsung a ring and they do not seem to understand how this new model works and were blaming a faulty battery and saying that the led should go green when the battery is charged. Well the user manual (page 20) just says that the red led goes out when the battery is fully charged. That is what I get. Also if I turn the camera on at this stage, the on screen battery indicator shows a full charge. To me this shows that the battery is correctly and fully charged. So the battery goes flat in a few days even though it is switched off (Not a problem on my WB650 with GPS). Samsung are reluctant to replace my camera and I am awaiting news from them on what they will do. In the meantime I will fully charge the battery again and then remove it from the camera. I will measure the voltage with my super accurate voltmeter over a period of days. If the voltage stays up then it must be the camera that is draining the battery.
Peewit

hotsteper wrote:

I had a similar experience with another GPS model before (can’t recall the model number).

Anyhow, I called the contact centre for advise and they gave me the solution straight away.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?
Re: Samsung basher problem
In reply to peewit, May 23, 2012

peewit wrote:

. . .

It is the fact that every time I come to use the WB850F I find the battery has gone flat and it will not even switch on that made me decide to seek advice from Amazon who I purchased it from.

The advice came back from the third party supplier and simply asks me to contact the UK Samsung support telephone numbers.

I gave Samsung a ring and they do not seem to understand how this new model works and were blaming a faulty battery and saying that the led should go green when the battery is charged. Well the user manual (page 20) just says that the red led goes out when the battery is fully charged. That is what I get. Also if I turn the camera on at this stage, the on screen battery indicator shows a full charge. To me this shows that the battery is correctly and fully charged. So the battery goes flat in a few days even though it is switched off (Not a problem on my WB650 with GPS). Samsung are reluctant to replace my camera and I am awaiting news from them on what they will do. In the meantime I will fully charge the battery again and then remove it from the camera. I will measure the voltage with my super accurate voltmeter over a period of days. If the voltage stays up then it must be the camera that is draining the battery.

My WB750 is like the WB850. It doesn't come with a battery charger, just an AC adapter that allows the camera to recharge the battery inside. I've never charged batteries this way since I bought a separate external charger for about $15. But I had the same battery problem with the Fuji F550 and was told the same thing, that the camera couldn't be at fault, that the battery must be defective. Fortunately, I had several similar cameras that used the same battery and my own tests showed that the battery that came with the F550 retained its charge when it was used in any of the other cameras, and all of the good batteries from the other cameras lost their charge after sitting unused in the F550 overnight. So I was able to prove that the first two cameras I got were defective.

If I was in your situation, I'd return the camera for an exchange if your dealer allows it. If not, I assume that you'll eventually get your WB850 repaired or exchanged by Samsung. I'd then buy another battery and a battery charger (a relatively small investment, and a backup battery is generally worth having for many reasons) and if things go the way I think they will, you'll find that your new battery as well as the one that came with the camera, after being charged in the new battery charger will both drain much too quickly when placed in the camera, but after being charged, if they aren't placed in the camera, they'll be able to hold their charge for weeks or months. Assuming that this is what you find, you'll be well equipped to tell Samsung's technicians that they need to repair the camera, since the batteries have been proved to be working properly.

Jvronis
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to mhike, May 24, 2012

Here is a thought. The Camera is sitting on desk for 24 hours showing 4 bars full charge still. If you press the picture preview button the camera turns on but does not expand lenses since its in view mode. It is possible this is happening in a case as mine was when I found it dead both times. I had checked it 3 time (still 4 bars) and it was fully charged in closet in camera bag when it happened last. The 4th time I checked it was stone dead.

peewit
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
In reply to Jvronis, May 24, 2012

Thought that I would post a few photos comparing the WB650 with the new WB850F that I am having a problem with.

This photo shows the differing charging cables. They plug into a USB port and the battery is charged in the camera.

Top view

Front view

Back view

Reviewing a photo on the WB850F

Peewit

peewit
Like?
In reply to peewit, May 28, 2012

The camera Samsung WB850F

I have now sent this camera to the Samsung repair department.
The problem

From just fully charging the battery in the camera (red charge indicator light goes out as per page 10 of user manual), the battery goes flat in about five days even though the camera is switched off. This makes the camera pretty useless.

This problem does not occur on my Samsung WB650 camera that has GPS enabled.

Note WB850f camera uses Samsung SLB-10A battery whereas WB650 uses SLB-11A battery.

Tests carried out.

SLB-10A battery fully charged in WB850F camera and then removed. Initial voltage 4.18 volts. Battery voltage after five days with battery not in camera is 4.17 volts.

Possible cause of problem.
1) WB850F causes high battery drain even with camera switched off.

2) WB850F does not suffiently charge the battery. Note the WB650 seems to charge it's battery to a higher voltage.
3) Both 1) and 2) above

Peewit

Loring von Palleske
Contributing MemberPosts: 501Gear list
Like?

Thank you for doing this peewit - I have received a similar query from a customer in Vancouver and we as a company need to know if it's a faulty battery batch or a camera problem. I asked her to fully charge the battery and wait 4 or 5 days (with the battery out of the camera) and check the battery level. Hopefully it is a limited problem and you will be looked after with warranty.

If it does turn out to be far reaching - I am hoping firmware will clean it up. I only heard of the issue very recently so I am trying to gather as much info as possible to send back to Korea.

Loring von Palleske's gear list:Loring von Palleske's gear list
Samsung NX1
Billx08
Like?

peewit wrote:

The camera Samsung WB850F

I have now sent this camera to the Samsung repair department.
The problem

From just fully charging the battery in the camera (red charge indicator light goes out as per page 10 of user manual), the battery goes flat in about five days even though the camera is switched off. This makes the camera pretty useless.

This problem does not occur on my Samsung WB650 camera that has GPS enabled.

Note WB850f camera uses Samsung SLB-10A battery whereas WB650 uses SLB-11A battery.

Tests carried out.

SLB-10A battery fully charged in WB850F camera and then removed. Initial voltage 4.18 volts. Battery voltage after five days with battery not in camera is 4.17 volts.

Possible cause of problem.
1) WB850F causes high battery drain even with camera switched off.

2) WB850F does not suffiently charge the battery. Note the WB650 seems to charge it's battery to a higher voltage.
3) Both 1) and 2) above

It's unfortunate that you already sent the WB850f back for repair. The SLB-10A and SLB-11A are compatible with both cameras. You could have charged both batteries in the cameras you normally use them in and when both are charged, swap the batteries between the cameras. This could have told you whether the WB850's charging circuit was working properly or if the WB850 was draining all batteries at an excessive rate. My guess is that the SLB-11A would have worked properly in your WB650 and that the WB850 was charging it properly, but would have drained any fully charged battery after several days. If that was the case, sending the camera back to Samsung probably was the right course of action, but you could have had more information about the problem before sending it back.

Billx08
Like?
In reply to Loring von Palleske, May 28, 2012

Loring von Palleske wrote:

Thank you for doing this peewit - I have received a similar query from a customer in Vancouver and we as a company need to know if it's a faulty battery batch or a camera problem. I asked her to fully charge the battery and wait 4 or 5 days (with the battery out of the camera) and check the battery level. Hopefully it is a limited problem and you will be looked after with warranty.

If it does turn out to be far reaching - I am hoping firmware will clean it up. I only heard of the issue very recently so I am trying to gather as much info as possible to send back to Korea.

Fuji had the same or a very similar problem with their F550EXR, their first to have GPS functionality. The problem was more severe because the batteries would go dead overnight after a full charge even with all GPS functions disabled. It was eventually "fixed" by a firmware upgrade, but it was really caused by defective hardware. My first two F550's had this problem. They were both black, the only available color when it was introduced. Within a week or two B&H announced "limited availability" for red F550s (red F500s were always available but not for the F550) so I figured that they might have been produced from a different batch that didn't have the same problem and I was right. No more battery drain. The firmware 'cure' was released soon afterward, but my red F550 had the original firmware, so the firmware was only necessary for F550s that had the defective circuits. I don't really know which circuits were responsible but assume that they were GPS related. It turned out that the "limited availability" wasn't correct. FWIW, within days of exchanging cameras, the website removed that notice and red became a regular color option.

bpmrt
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to peewit, May 30, 2012

I just bought the WB850. I am having a similar problem with the battery. I contacted Samsung Tech Support and was appalled at their lack of response. They are sending a new battery, but I was told that I should take the battery out of the camera and only install it when I want to take a picture. It is "normal" for the battery to be drained even when the camera is off.

Have you gotten a response from them after sending your camera for repair?

peewit
Like?
In reply to bpmrt, May 30, 2012

Hi bpmrt
I only posted the camera on Monday 28th so no response yet.

It is definitely not normal to have to keep the battery out of the camera. I am surprised that Samsung support suggested that.

Samsung support originally wanted to send me a replacement battery so I had a 35 minute discussion with them about why I thought that it was not a battery fault. During this time they suggested that I may have damaged the battery by leaving it on charge for too long, they also insisted that a green light should come on when the battery is fully charged even though the user manual does not say this. Eventually they requested proof of purchase and then a day or so later they said that they would post me a return carton. They do seem like rank amateus with regard to this model.

Unfortunately I suspect that there will be no quick solution as a firmware change may be needed. I still have my WB650 with GPS enabled and it has no battery problems.

Peewit

mhike
Like?
In reply to bpmrt, May 30, 2012

So will they act when someone who carries the battery separately has it explode in their back or pocket due to shorted terminals?

Record them after calling them again and post it to Youtube. Guaranteed, you'll get a response, if not, the CPSC will force a recall for safety.

bpmrt wrote:

I just bought the WB850. I am having a similar problem with the battery. I contacted Samsung Tech Support and was appalled at their lack of response. They are sending a new battery, but I was told that I should take the battery out of the camera and only install it when I want to take a picture. It is "normal" for the battery to be drained even when the camera is off.

Have you gotten a response from them after sending your camera for repair?

Loring von Palleske
Like?
In reply to mhike, May 31, 2012

The firmware update on the UK site is supposed to take care of the battery issue...

Samsung NX1
mhike
Like?
In reply to Loring von Palleske, May 31, 2012

Why does firmware get released in different places all the time?

The firmware update on the UK site is supposed to take care of the battery issue...

swampcat
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to mhike, May 31, 2012

I'm having the exact same problem - battery draining over a period of 2 to 3 days even with gps etc all turned off.

I called the Samsung UK tech support & like others was told the led should go green when fully charged until I pointed out the manual says it'll just go from red to nothing.

At first the operator (who was not a native english speaker) tried telling me the battery drain was normal. WHAT!! I said "am I understanding you correctly? You're seriously trying to tell me this is acceptable and normal???" She said Yes!!!

I went mad at that point, pointed out that in that case I'd be returning the camera as under the Sale of Goods act it's clearly neither of merchantable quality nor is it fit for purpose. At that point she put me on hold for a while then came back, all nice & helpful & said she was committed to helping me and would send out a new battery so I can try that to see if the fault is camera-related or just a faulty battery.

I suspect the camera but we'll see. In the meantime I'm going to upgrade the firmware to a new version released a few days ago.

One possibility...I do use the wireless viewfinder & wireless transfer from camera to my samsung smartphone. After a full charge I checked the cam over 2 days & the battery was looking ok. Then I used the wifi transfer feature & closed everything properly but this morning all was dead - no turn-on! I'm wondering if the fault is related to the wifi not correctly shutting down after use?

What I wouldn't advise any UK owners to do though is to allow their camera to go back to Samsung for repair or investigation. This harms your consumer rights and prevents you later being able to demand a refund or replacement. Your legal rights lie between you and your retailer, not between you & Samsung.

JuanJ
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to Loring von Palleske, Jun 1, 2012

Loring, can you please elaborate on exactly what this firmware update entails as the samsung site is extremely vague not making mention of any battery problems.

I am experiencing the same issue on my wb850f even with the firmware upgrade.

Loring von Palleske
Like?
In reply to JuanJ, Jun 1, 2012

PM sent

Samsung NX1
ssshadow
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
In reply to JuanJ, Jun 2, 2012

I too am having the same battery issues even after updating to the latest firmware (version 205096). This is rather unfortunate, because the rest of the camera is pretty solid. If it is not fixed soon I will have no other choice but to return it, because in this state it is fairly useless.

camomille
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
In reply to ssshadow, Jun 2, 2012

As shown on page 20, you've charged the battery before use.
Batteries are often delivered at half load.

Devices often memorized the maximum voltage at the load before the first use and serves as a reference.
Excuse me for my bad english

peewit
Like?
In reply to camomille, Jun 2, 2012

I got my WB850F back from Samsung Support this morning.
I had sent it to them because of the short battery life problem.
The advice note says that the Main PCB Assembly was replaced.

I checked and it did not have the latest firmware version so you would have thought that they would have updated it if the new firmware was the cure to the problem.

I have now updated the firmware using Intelli-studio.

So we will see if with a new PCB and the latest firmware if the problem has gone away.

Peewit

bpmrt
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to peewit, Jun 2, 2012

Please let us know if it solves the problem. I have also posted this issue on Amazon where I purchased it and others have indicated having the same issue. My experience with Samsung Support has been horrific. I hope this fixes the problem and we can put this to rest.

Thanks

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads