OM-D screen protectors.

Started May 16, 2012 | Discussions
Ollie 2
Contributing MemberPosts: 997Gear list
Like?
OM-D screen protectors.
May 16, 2012

...don’t work.

The camera appears to have some kind of glass that prevents the film from adhering properly.

Anyone using something that works?

Ollie 2's gear list:Ollie 2's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +11 more
boyzo
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,516
Like?
Re: OM-D screen protectors.
In reply to Ollie 2, May 16, 2012

I use TEKCOMM (Off Ebay) made by Fuji film .. they adhere fine and touch works
--
John

http://boyzo.smugmug.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48966961@N00/sets/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JoeSchmoe
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,145
Like?

I've never used a screen protector for any of my cameras or phones, and none of the screens have been received more than a few cosmetic scratches, if any, over years of use. On the other hand, over those years, I've enjoyed viewing the screens without anything diminishing their image quality.

I guess to each his own. I prefer to enjoy my screens in all their naked glory, even if there is a slight risk that they might get scratched or worse (but if worse, I'm not sure a screen protector would do the trick either).

Ollie 2
Like?
In reply to JoeSchmoe, May 16, 2012

Well, that’s simply foolhardy.

Screen protectors cost next to nothing and diminish the IQ not one iota.

JoeSchmoe wrote:

I've never used a screen protector for any of my cameras or phones, and none of the screens have been received more than a few cosmetic scratches, if any, over years of use. On the other hand, over those years, I've enjoyed viewing the screens without anything diminishing their image quality.

I guess to each his own. I prefer to enjoy my screens in all their naked glory, even if there is a slight risk that they might get scratched or worse (but if worse, I'm not sure a screen protector would do the trick either).

Olympus PEN E-P2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +11 more
apekkpul
Regular MemberPosts: 422Gear list
Like?

But are screen protectors really needed?

I have been using touch-based mobile phones several years but never ever I have needed a screen protector. I frequently need to clean the display but probably it is as easy with or without a screen protector.

Pekka

apekkpul's gear list:apekkpul's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Ollie 2
Like?
In reply to apekkpul, May 16, 2012

a) Put you phone in your pocket with your keys and run for the bus, knock into the busty blonde and run up the stairs to work.

b) Remove phone from pocket.

c) Observe with dismay the scratches on the display that weren't there at breakfast.

d) Apply a similar unforeseen scenario to your schmick new OM-D..

...and then consider your options.

apekkpul wrote:

But are screen protectors really needed?

I have been using touch-based mobile phones several years but never ever I have needed a screen protector. I frequently need to clean the display but probably it is as easy with or without a screen protector.

Pekka

JoeSchmoe
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,145
Like?

As I said, to each their own. Some folks also like to cover their sofas. My parents do, and when they're ready to replace it, it's still as good as new. On the other hand, I think they're not fully enjoying what they spent their money on, but protecting it for the next owners to enjoy. But I get that from their perspective, enjoyment comes partly from keeping it "protected" and as good as new.

As for foolhardy, well, I've never had a scratch or damage to any of my screens (camera, phone, or anything else) that's affected the function one bit. And I don't walk on egg shells either. So I think it's more about personality than real risk. Again, to each their own.

SidSnot
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?

Phone protection is probably a good thing, cameras like these are not going to be in your pocket jiggling around with your keys...

jacquelyn
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?

I had a zagg shield protector put on mine, did the same thing with my pen-3.

Does it need it...?, hard to tell , but I like to take really good care of my equipment and so for me it is worth the extra cost.

I keep a protector on the LCD of my d700, altho, it came with the camera and is plastic. So basically Nikon has provide that for a reason and I am not going to disagree with the experts

Ollie 2
Like?

Well, if these folks are traveling the world, hiking through alps, kayaking in fjords and generally tramping through the wild using their couch to record their adventures I'd suggest they are sensibly cautious.

On the other hand...this is a silly analogy.

JoeSchmoe wrote:
Some folks also like to cover their sofas.

Oly500Enew
Senior MemberPosts: 1,004Gear list
Like?

It's unlikely Gorilla glass is going to scratch. I have a mobile phone with it and I have dropped it on pavement around 20 times, hard floors and carry it in pocket and not a single blemish. This glass is nothing like your E1-E3 etc.

I certainly understand being extra cautious, but I'm not the least bit concerned about scratching the OM-D glass and I baby my equipment.
--
I'm not a professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night.

http://www.2112photography.net
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21868346@N00/

Oly500Enew's gear list:Oly500Enew's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
P S
P S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,308Gear list
Like?
Are you implying the E-M5 screen uses Gorilla glass?
In reply to Oly500Enew, May 16, 2012

If it is true, and I kind of doubt it, then you don't need screen protector.
--
PS

P S's gear list:P S's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +7 more
Ollie 2
Like?
In reply to Oly500Enew, May 16, 2012

Well, at the risk of sounding like the guy with a response to every naysayer, I have already managed to place a scratch on the glass centre-top of my viewfinder.

...thus my original question.

Oly500Enew wrote:

It's unlikely Gorilla glass is going to scratch. I have a mobile phone with it and I have dropped it on pavement around 20 times, hard floors and carry it in pocket and not a single blemish. This glass is nothing like your E1-E3 etc.

I certainly understand being extra cautious, but I'm not the least bit concerned about scratching the OM-D glass and I baby my equipment.
--
I'm not a professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night.

http://www.2112photography.net
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21868346@N00/

KidMoe85
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?

I can agree with this to an extent. What annoys me the most is those people who buy a really nice looking car and then stick one of those ugly ass bumper protector things on it - I can never understand that.

But in the case of a screen protector, it really does not diminish the look of the camera in any way so it makes sense to have one.

JoeSchmoe wrote:

As I said, to each their own. Some folks also like to cover their sofas. My parents do, and when they're ready to replace it, it's still as good as new. On the other hand, I think they're not fully enjoying what they spent their money on, but protecting it for the next owners to enjoy. But I get that from their perspective, enjoyment comes partly from keeping it "protected" and as good as new.

As for foolhardy, well, I've never had a scratch or damage to any of my screens (camera, phone, or anything else) that's affected the function one bit. And I don't walk on egg shells either. So I think it's more about personality than real risk. Again, to each their own.

cmorse
Regular MemberPosts: 475Gear list
Like?
i-phone protector

I picked up a case-mate i-phone screen protector and cut it to size. Works perfectly. I went with the anti-finger print, matte finish, anti-glare, bubble free version and I think the lcd is easier to see in the sun than it was without the screen protector. Set of 3 from walmart for $7, perfect for when you mess up cutting the first one like I did.

cmorse's gear list:cmorse's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Ollie 2
Like?
In reply to KidMoe85, May 16, 2012

Oh, I agree with the couch/bumper protector scenarios as being ludicrous and ugly and ultimately self defeating to a degree.

But putting something invisible onto something that you need clear in order for it to function makes those things a false analogy.

I see it more like scotch-guarding my pants before a wilderness trek or carrying a beacon if soloing through mountains.

...but as the other poster said, each to their own.

KidMoe85 wrote:

I can agree with this to an extent. What annoys me the most is those people who buy a really nice looking car and then stick one of those ugly ass bumper protector things on it - I can never understand that.

But in the case of a screen protector, it really does not diminish the look of the camera in any way so it makes sense to have one.

blacklodge
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?

From another OMD screen protector thread I got the AC-MAXX Hard LCD protector off eBay, it's easy to apply, doesn't affect viewing and the touch screen still works great.

I think it's like $9, well worth it since I tend to abuse my cameras and without any protection, my screens always get scratched.

javafool
Regular MemberPosts: 337Gear list
Like?

I have a Vikuiti 3M protector ready to place on the display of my silver OM-D, that is assuming it finally arrives. It'll make me feel better if nothing else.

B&H just shipped the spare battery for my backordered camera! WOHOO. FL-600R, battery grip, screen protestor, spare battery and a Domke camera strap. Everything but the camers.

-- hide signature --

E-620 & E-30 DSLRs, E-PL2 & E-P3, Canon S95 & SD4000 P&S

gollywop
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,298
Like?
Screenpatronus
In reply to Ollie 2, May 17, 2012

I've got a ScreenPatronis on mine. They're not the easiest to apply -- although not that bad. And they have a number of very nice characteristics:

1. They are absolutely clear and diminish the look on the OLED not at all.
2. They are glare free.
3. They stick well, but are removable without any damage to the OLED
4. The touch sensitivity is unaffected.
5. They come 3 to the pack for only $12.99, so you can afford to make mistakes.
6. The company is very responsive.
7. Once on, you don't know they are there.

I have no interest in this company, other than I've got their protectors on a number of my electronic items. They all work well, but you do have to take care in applying them.

-- hide signature --

gollywop

-----------

William Ing
Regular MemberPosts: 416
Like?
In reply to Ollie 2, May 18, 2012

Yesterday I bought a 5-1/2 x 9-1/2" sheet of protective tissue manufactured by Gadget Guard for $19.95. From this oversize piece you could easily custom-cut at least a half-dozen 2 x 3" protective strips like the one I just laid over my OMD-E5 LCD screen.

Gadget Guard makes no claims about anti-glare or other super-duper properties associated with their product. The tissue is simply super clear, doesn't interfere with the OMD's touch-screen capabilities, and is near bulletproof. Goes on super easy, without fingerprint problems whatsoever (because you apply a light mist of water to your fingertips and to the adhesive side of the tissue before installation), and it's simple to make alignment adjustments before you finish up by squeegeeing out the tiny droplets of water. Once dried, there are no air bubbles and the product will NOT work loose at the edges and corners after only a few weeks. Yet can be removed intact without leaving any residue on the camera.

Check out their installation video at

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads