Where are the Oly 12mm pics ??

Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions
ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,482Gear list
Like?
Where are the Oly 12mm pics ??
May 15, 2012

It's one of those things I just cannot seem to make up my mind about.. I've had a lot of excellent use and excellent pics from the Pannie 20mm and also the 14mm Pancakes, for near enough a couple of years now. This sort of FL suits me fine..no desire for longer FL as I seem to enjoy the close-up or generally "street-type" sort of situations... but since I first saw some superb pics from the Oly 12mm in a post just awhile ago now...I just felt it was surely one that I would truly enjoy...

But without a hope of a chance of being able to see or try one - we have NO camera shop in town now - since Jessops departed to a new location some months ago - so I have to rely on what samples I can see and hope to make a good decision on that.

But there just don't seem to be very much to look at !!!.. am I just not looking in the right place - the right time ??

Can anybody who may have had this lens awhile.. pass on any comments, thoughts, judgements about it .. with regard of course to what IS a fairly stiff price in UK...

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

ericN2's gear list:ericN2's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,390Gear list
Like?
Re: Where are the Oly 12mm pics ??
In reply to ericN2, May 15, 2012

I started a folder of images I have captured with the 12mm f2 a while ago. Like so many projects, I stopped adding to it after a while, so tonight (around 5-6 hours from now) I will update this folder..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other/12mm-f2-M-Zuiko/18521453_RDQzcX# !i=1756770303&k=9t9Vkg2

...with a significant number of additional, more recent images I have captured with the 12/2 on my E-P3. At the end of May it's going to be my primary wide lens for 9 days in Paris at a variety of places, from museums to churches, cheateaus, etc, etc.

The files in the above folder are all full resolution uploads you can view at full size from there, or you can download all you want if you'd rather do it that way. They are all jpegs from raw processed in Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 4 or, recently, PS CS6.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark9473
Contributing MemberPosts: 728Gear list
Like?

Click on "user images" half way down this page:
http://www.dpreview.com/products/olympus/lenses/olympus_m_12_2

-- hide signature --
 Mark9473's gear list:Mark9473's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus E-30 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus SZ-10 +1 more
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Here you go, sort of.

Not sure it is the ideal lens test, I very rarely sharpen things, which it seems is what people wish to see in photography forums, and I'm often using NDs which tend to give you a cast, and I often add a bit of vignetting...

ericN2
Like?
In reply to Gregm61, May 15, 2012

Gregm61 wrote:

I started a folder of images I have captured with the 12mm f2 a while ago. Like so many projects, I stopped adding to it after a while, so tonight (around 5-6 hours from now) I will update this folder..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other/12mm-f2-M-Zuiko/18521453_RDQzcX# !i=1756770303&k=9t9Vkg2

...with a significant number of additional, more recent images I have captured with the 12/2 on my E-P3. At the end of May it's going to be my primary wide lens for 9 days in Paris at a variety of places, from museums to churches, cheateaus, etc, etc.

The files in the above folder are all full resolution uploads you can view at full size from there, or you can download all you want if you'd rather do it that way. They are all jpegs from raw processed in Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 4 or, recently, PS CS6.

Greg -

This is a wonderful set of photos that I really enjoyed. There are many that are just great to look at, although a type...and location-cum-general quality of light, that I feel sure I'd never have chance to benefit from here in our grotty conditions.. but some DO give me that type of thing I may do quite often..it's certainly a very nice set and more particularly I think it again gives me that immediate feeling of this 12mm being one that I would surely enjoy.

In the present album I do see quite a few that I'm sure are very likely a similar kind to that other one-and-only set I mentioned and which immediately gave me such interest.. taken at the Geneva Show perhaps ???.. perhaps if so, it was indeed YOURS that I first saw and was so enthused about...

Many thanks for giving me chance to view these and as it IS possible to d/load a few as originals I can then see just how they do appear in that better full state.
Thanks again.. this is what I have really been looking for.

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
benwood
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gregm61, May 15, 2012

Thanks for posting that gallery. I've been seriously thinking of ordering a 12mm before a trip to France and Italy this summer, along with a 25 & 45.

-- hide signature --

-- Ben

benwood's gear list:benwood's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +2 more
ericN2
Like?
In reply to Mark9473, May 15, 2012

Mark9473 wrote:

Click on "user images" half way down this page:
http://www.dpreview.com/products/olympus/lenses/olympus_m_12_2

Thanks Mark - but already been there/done that.. as the saying goes.

In fact JUST earlier today I made up a comparison page showing how the 12mm stands in direct side-by-side against my present favourite - the Pannie 20mm f1.7... and was REALLY surprised how it showed up a few things.. such as the quite modest difference in overall depth/length of the 12mm..not such a big difference to that of the 20mm..so it's clearly not THAT much more 'huge' to pack on the front for carrying..and I was MORE amazed to see that it is in fact LESS diameter !!... but as another BIG plus in a way..SAME front diameter for such as a Filter/lens cap (better type that the fairly plain one I presume supplied..I can use one of my spare clip-in fasten type that are much better and easier..with a string attachment.

It's a lot lot less of a size than I've generally had in mind - never having had chance to SEE one as yet.

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
ericN2
Like?
Re: Here you go, sort of.
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 15, 2012

Thanks Louis.. all making a nice addition to the sort of feelings I'm getting moreso on this.

The second one of yours is the better one I feel.. first one does show the sort of detail I'd expect but maybe the ND (if used here) has taken away a bit of detail and 'life' that I'd myself be looking for in those big foremost rocks....

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,390Gear list
Like?
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 15, 2012

Beautiful, Louis. I have admired more than a few of your images captured with the 12mm f2. The two you posted here are excellent.
--
"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +11 more
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,547Gear list
Like?

Here are a few. The first is a panorama from a set of 12mm shots, the rest are normal.

Whenever I use this lens, I am so very impressed with the beautiful color, detail, and microcontrast it renders....It is also really quite small. It's definitely a keeper.

-Janet

Louis_Dobson
Like?

Oh I much prefer the first. But I'm trying to create an alien landscape feel, and that does not show off lenses well.

ericN2 wrote:

Thanks Louis.. all making a nice addition to the sort of feelings I'm getting moreso on this.

The second one of yours is the better one I feel.. first one does show the sort of detail I'd expect but maybe the ND (if used here) has taken away a bit of detail and 'life' that I'd myself be looking for in those big foremost rocks....

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

Jun2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,207Gear list
Like?
In reply to ericN2, May 16, 2012
 Jun2's gear list:Jun2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,691Gear list
Like?
picture pools

ericN2 wrote:

But there just don't seem to be very much to look at !!!.. am I just not looking in the right place - the right time ??

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1754092@N21/pool/

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1749228@N21/pool/

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
itairom
Regular MemberPosts: 430
Like?

Here are a couple I made the other day with the 12mm. It's a handy little lens.

ericN2
Like?
In reply to Jun2, May 16, 2012

Jun2 wrote:

I did a video with 12mm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jQ5mYbIuAI

Jun2 -
This is pretty good isn't i !!

I'm not and never have really been into Vids on a stills cam..I used a proper Camcorder some years ago now but just don't feel I want that now....but I have to say...the cam and the 12mm coped exceedingly well with this I thought. I see a guy rushing around shooting stills with flash.. guess he got mostly what he wanted but I bet he didn't capture the spirit of the movement as the 12mm did here...very good indeed..and in what was clearly stretching the light conditions and shot quite a bit.
--

eric
Staffordshire, UK

Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
acahaya
Contributing MemberPosts: 996
Like?

here is a set on flickr (my first test shots when the lens was new)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hypselodoris/sets/72157627318512419/

and here is an album including several shots with the 12mm (metro stations)

-- hide signature --
ericN2
Like?
Re: picture pools
In reply to Chez Wimpy, May 16, 2012

Chez Wimpy wrote:

ericN2 wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1754092@N21/pool/

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1749228@N21/pool/

Chez -

Thanks for yet another good batch to take a look at... and this is giving me a lot better overall sort of feeling for this lens. I see a big lot of shots here that if you view the EXIF - it makes it clear that very many are shot with what may be called 'general settings'.. that is , just set in a fairly normal way in many cases..not excessively pushed in any direction for expoures.. the lens has done it mainly.. and that is what I like. It's what I think I've enjoyed with the Pancakes I've used almost exclusively over the last couple of years.. setup the camera geerally and then the lens plus the camera settings adjust and cope with the shot you give to it... and with CS also available to cope with any final edits. It's slowly but surely seeming to confirm what should of course be expected from a quality lens.

As I'm one of the kind that never really can stand as a general thing, any sort of what I call distorted output from a more serious W/A lens..it's unavoidale to some degree of course with a 12mm.. but positioning can help a lot..plus an excellent CS Plug-in I've got for the purpose.. mostly does the job to keep any to my general liking...this 12mm does not give me much mental anguish in that respect certainly, now I've got quite a lot more of varied type to have a look at.

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
ericN2
Like?
In reply to itairom, May 16, 2012

Thanks for these two further - I really like the Fishing Jetty one a lot. I always find I can never quite explain even to myself just how I feel when I see a pic that is not only just appealing to me .. but has a kind of 'look' about it as a finished pic, that is just different in some wy to a lot of those from lesser quality gear..either camera..or I think here just as much.. the lens. It gives such a sort of clean output...anyway I like it.. and yet more to sway me that I really MUST see if I can get hold of one at a decent price. It realy is pretty high on the price list here in UK.. and with available funds having to be carefully monitored..it's a case of finding just the RIGHT one at the right time... but sooner the better I'm more sure...

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Louis_Dobson
Like?
Another...
ericN2
Like?
In reply to acahaya, May 16, 2012

Thanks for posting these further pics from the 12mm. Although not really the kind that I'm actually available to shoot in any similar way.. but the lens output of course comes from ANY sort of situation, so it all adds to that better comparison I've had to keep in mind as simply unknown so far.

Hope you are enjoying your EM5.. that too..I think , is pretty rare as yet in UK.. I don't know of any... although it's not one that has an appeal for ME at least. Strange really.. since I've spent more years with the old SLR style cams than as yet with digital.. but I did in many cases use the old 'retro' style if that's the right way of putting it.. such as the Leica M's and one or two that did not have quite the top 'lump' style of V/F that I feel sure is what puts me off the design of the EM5.

I suppose it shows, since right now I've gone for the GX1 just because I think of it as "my style"..quite apart from the fact that it seems to give me anyway, a very nice result with my Pancakes on it.

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads