SD Card write locked itself on OM-D

Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions
OM User
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?
SD Card write locked itself on OM-D
May 15, 2012

Turned my OM-D on and it informed me that the card was write locked. Wasn't when I turned it off earlier!

Viewed some files on the OLED screen with no problem but the little key symbol appeared in the corner of each and I couldn't delete any of them (well, the ones I didn't want). Checked the card but the write lock tab was in the write position. Tried another card and it was fine. Anyway copied the files off the card and deleted then from the computer. Re-inserted the card - still "write locked". Re-formatted the card from the menu with no problem and everything back to normal.

How strange is that.

OM User's gear list:OM User's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +4 more
Richard Butler
dpreview AdminPosts: 1,964
Like?
Re: SD Card write locked itself on OM-D
In reply to OM User, May 15, 2012

How loose is the read/write tab on the card you're having trouble with? We've had problems with several cameras over the years, where loose tabs are being moved to 'lock' as you slot the card in (then slipping back when you remove the card), giving the impression of an error.

Richard - dpreview.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
OM User
Like?
Re: SD Card write locked itself on OM-D
In reply to Richard Butler, May 15, 2012

I checked the locking tab at least half a dozen times. It is secure and not moving when the card is inserted or removed. Although this is the most obvious candiadate it doesn't explain how a writable card became unwritable (without the card being moved or the camera violently shaken/bumped) or how I was able to reformat a write locked card.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +4 more
muddyfunster
Regular MemberPosts: 447
Like?
is it sandisk?

i've had problems with their locking tabs before
--
the night is dark.....and full of terriers

nxp3
Regular MemberPosts: 365
Like?
not physical lock

the camera has it's own lock mechanism to prevent accidental deletion. the picture is displayed with a "key" you have to unlock it in camera to delete those.
--
-bokehmokehshmokeh-

OM User
Like?
Re: not physical lock
In reply to nxp3, May 16, 2012

even if all the files on the card were "locked" by the camera it still wouldn't say the card was write locked on turning it on.

Edmund Dorf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,163Gear list
Like?
The Card Has Malfunctioned
In reply to OM User, May 16, 2012

I had the same symptom with an ATP card a few years ago. Tried everything. Finally contacted ATP. They replaced the card and haven't had any trouble with the replacement.
--
Currently shooting:

Canon Powershot G12
Canon Rebel Xs DSLR with kit lens, 50mm F1.8 II lens, and 55-250mm IS telephoto
Fujifilm E550
Leica D-Lux 4
Olympus PEN E-PL1 with Kit zoom lens, Olympus M.Zuiko

17mm F2.8, Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm, Olympus 45mm F1.8, Canon FD 50mm F1.4, Olympus Zuiko 50mm F1.8, Pentax 135mm F2.5, Pentax 50mm F1.7, Panasonic 20mm F1.7.
Sanyo HD2000 HD camcorder/8 and 12 megapixel stills
Sony DSC-TX7

Edmund Dorf's gear list:Edmund Dorf's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix E550 Zoom Sony RX100 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm FinePix F900EXR Canon EOS 60D +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads