More pixelsequal better pics?

Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions
comissaria
Junior MemberPosts: 34Gear list
Like?
More pixelsequal better pics?
May 15, 2012

I d like to Know if with the same camera I can acheive better sharpness and IQ with less pixels than the maximun of the camera?

Is it possible: the same pic same moment, same everything, a lower number of pixels produces a better photo quality?

comissaria's gear list:comissaria's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Skipper494
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,903
Like?
Re: More pixelsequal better pics?
In reply to comissaria, May 15, 2012

Wrong forum

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
leno
Senior MemberPosts: 1,075Gear list
Like?

comissaria wrote:

I d like to Know if with the same camera I can acheive better sharpness and IQ with less pixels than the maximun of the camera?

Is it possible: the same pic same moment, same everything, a lower number of pixels produces a better photo quality?

This posses a few questions, what logic would cause you to think this. If you close one eye does that reduce or increase the quality. How are you proposing to reduce the number of pixels.

leno's gear list:leno's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +2 more
trekkeruss
Senior MemberPosts: 3,564
Like?

comissaria wrote:

No, with a few exceptions. Those exceptions use a technique called pixel binning, which combines individual groups of pixels into one, which is supposed to reduce noise and increase IQ.

If you have a 14 MP camera, and you lower the output to 10 MP, all you are doing is making the image smaller. It might appear that you get better image quality, but that is only because the image is smaller. and you can't see the faults as easily.

mlackey
Regular MemberPosts: 462
Like?

comissaria wrote:

A single pixel is a voltage meter, excited by light photons. Larger pixels capture more photons and have greater voltage range (dynamic range) than smaller pixels which capture fewer photons and have smaller voltage (dynamic) range. In average to bright light, more pixels are generally better. In dim light, fewer pixels are better. In dim light it becomes much, much harder to distinguish a small voltage (low light) from ground, and larger pixels (as in fewer larger pixels) do a better job of providing voltage readings above ground (because of greater dynamic range). So it depends. There is no yes/no answer, only available light and cost of manufacturing sensors.

Mike

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads