Anyone use Eneloop batteries?

Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions
Craig
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,512
Like?
Anyone use Eneloop batteries?
May 15, 2012

I just bought a couple of packs.
My only concern is they are only rated at 2000 MAH.
Do they last long enough compared with say 2700MAH batteries.
I normally use Powerex by Maha.. 2700 mah.

What i like about the envelops is that they hold their charge like a year, plus on the package they may last longer, 1500x charge cycles?

Any thoughts?

Biggs23
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,467Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone use Eneloop batteries?
In reply to Craig, May 15, 2012

I've been very happy with the new eneloop XX's. They are 2500Mah.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kb2zuz
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,196Gear list
Like?

The definitely hold their charge longer when sitting on the shelf or in a turned off device. So if you're not the type of person to charge the batteries every night, it's helpful. They're great for our pocketwizards, wireless mice, and other such devices which don't need to be charged every day. They work well in our SB-800, but we don't use it to the level an event or Wedding photographer does... so I feel someone else would be better suited to give a review of them under heavy abuse. I like them, no real problems thus far (having used them for 2 years).
--
~K

kb2zuz's gear list:kb2zuz's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Epson Stylus Pro 4880 +5 more
Craig
Like?
In reply to Biggs23, May 15, 2012

2500mah? The package on mine said 2000mah.. I wonder if there is a difference in their holding a charge factor?

Jack Leavitt
Regular MemberPosts: 111Gear list
Like?

I think this is what your looking for. ENELOOP 2500's. Work great. Use MAHA CH-801D to recharge.

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Capacity-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B0058GZWXQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1337095092&sr=8-9
--
Jack

Biggs23
Like?

Craig wrote:

2500mah? The package on mine said 2000mah.. I wonder if there is a difference in their holding a charge factor?

I'm talking about the newer XX's, not the classic Eneloops.

Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Craig
Like?
In reply to Jack Leavitt, May 15, 2012

I didn't see those.. I bought from amazon too and just cancelled my order.. I hope I did it in time..

Craig
Like?

Too late, they are shipping them out but said I can refuse them when they come.

What do you think the 2000mah will not be enough of a charge for weddings.

come to think of it I have been using some Rayovacs Platinum rated at 2100 mah that lasted a very long time with my flash.. but I use 400 iso and higher inside so the flashes are probably not using as much power as popping away at 100 iso in full sun.

Now I have to catch the driver when they come to refuse the delivery or keep them. 3 packages of 4

Michael Thomas Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,328
Like?

Craig

Eneloops are very different batteries in one very important way. They are SLOW to discharge.

A standard NiMH battery can loose up to 5% of its charge to dissipation within the first 24 hours, and an additional 1-2% of its power each day thereafter. That's why if you charge your batteries a couple of weeks before you actually use them, you'll get far less power out of them.

Eneloops are different. They are designed to HOLD their charge for many months. This makes them great for slow draw things such as radio triggers, remotes, etc. The caveat is that they hold less power to begin with.

Which are best for you is entirely up to how you work.

I use most of my rechargeable AAs in flash units. At any given wedding, I carry up to 10 flashes. (I use one set for portraits and another set for everything else. Then there are the backups.) I want as much power in my units as I can get. So, standard NiMHs are my first choice. My routine is to begin SLOW CHARGING all the batteries two days before the job. Slow charging is better for them, plus my unit has a reconditioning feature that I run every so often. With two units that holds 8 batteries each, I can get the full armory of batteries charged in no time. While they charge, I prepare for the job in other ways, going over the itinerary, schedule, travel route, and portrait list. Preparing and packing other gear. Talking with the bride. Etc. I never go to a wedding in which I do not feel completely prepared.

If you are more of an on-the-go person who likes to charge your batteries every so often and then leave them in your case until it's time to fire them up, the Eneloops might be the better choice for you. Indeed, I have considered getting a couple of sets for my radio triggers. But for 1 day a week of hard flashing, the standards are a better choice for me.

Good luck

Craig wrote:

I just bought a couple of packs.
My only concern is they are only rated at 2000 MAH.
Do they last long enough compared with say 2700MAH batteries.
I normally use Powerex by Maha.. 2700 mah.

What i like about the envelops is that they hold their charge like a year, plus on the package they may last longer, 1500x charge cycles?

Any thoughts?

Biggs23
Like?
In reply to Michael Thomas Mitchell, May 15, 2012

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

The caveat is that they hold less power to begin with.

Originally true, but with the new 2500's the difference in power is quite marginal. In fact, at 5% discharge in the first 24 hours, a 2700Mah battery is down to 2565Mah within that first day, essentially making it a total wash.

Biggs23
Like?

Craig wrote:

If you ordered actually from Amazon you can always return them without opening the package. I think that 2000Mah is alright, but I'd still go with the newer versions.

Michael Thomas Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,328
Like?

I had heard that some upgrades would be coming. Just checked and glad to see them out now. But the price tag is quite a bit higher! I'll have to hold onto my standards for a little while longer before they are replaced.

Biggs23 wrote:

The caveat is that they hold less power to begin with.

Originally true, but with the new 2500's the difference in power is quite marginal. In fact, at 5% discharge in the first 24 hours, a 2700Mah battery is down to 2565Mah within that first day, essentially making it a total wash.

Biggs23
Like?
In reply to Michael Thomas Mitchell, May 15, 2012

I had heard that some upgrades would be coming. Just checked and glad to see them out now. But the price tag is quite a bit higher!

Yeah, that's definitely the sticking point!

Craig
Like?

i think I will send the back and order the 2500.s

eNo
eNo
Forum ProPosts: 11,717
Like?

Biggs23 wrote:

Craig wrote:

If you ordered actually from Amazon you can always return them without opening the package. I think that 2000Mah is alright, but I'd still go with the newer versions.

I have the 2000Mah, and they do great. They hold charge just fine. Higher Mah will hold more charge, but will also tend to overheat more. Not sure if that's true of the Eneloops, though.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Home page: http://imagesbyeduardo.com
Portfolio page: http://downeyweddingphotography.com/wedfolio

proshooter_melbourne_AU
Regular MemberPosts: 159
Like?
Heavy Eneloop User Report

Hi there

I have been using envelops for YEARS. At least 5 years- and the same actual batteries. I have about 5 sets of 4. The quantity is due to the number of devices I use, and the extreme likelihood that they become misplaced ( temporarily ).

They are the 2000mah model- and I work them very hard at weddings, with lots of off camera strobe work, shooting through a lightbox, with with either SB800 or SB900.

They have never ever let me down. They outperform Energisier, Varta, all your "camera store" brands and consumer brands except for.... a brand called "Immedion", ( or similar spelling ) they'd be on a par with that brand. And we're talking a complete 5-6 hour coverage, lots of flash use, all on a single charge.

I must admit too, that my cell management isn't the best- I don't fully discharge them, I simply use them, and charge them back up after I finish the job. Sometimes I leave them on charge overnight ( I believe this is not the right thing to do..!) but I still haven't killed them.

They are YEARS old, probably not much after the Nikon D200 came out, as I think back to when I bought them. The guy who sold them to me hasn't worked in the store for 5 years- so there's a beginning for guessing their age.

The envelops in my head torch (AAA) hold their charge incredibly well during long idle periods, around 3 months between uses. I haven't tracked the number of hours etc etc, but I know the batteries are good performers.

Don't let mAh become like megapixels. As any real photographer knows, there's a lot more than the "how many megs" question to ask, when buying a camera.

But that's another thread...

Them's great batteries- they'll serve you well.

Cheers

ProShooter
--

LIFE is a 'long exposure'... and full of 'noise'. Wouldn't want it any other way!

txww
Regular MemberPosts: 202
Like?
In reply to Craig, May 16, 2012

I've had mine for 2 years and never had a problem. They do hold their charge is true. I can grab them in a moments notice and be ready to fire away.

Craig
Like?
So should I send the 2000mah back?
In reply to Biggs23, May 16, 2012

I bought an 8 pack and a 4 pack.. I was just going to get 8 but I went for the 2nd pack to get free shipping from Amazon.. like buying there. I don't really need 12 since I still have good other batteries. So $29 for 12 2000mahs.
Or $35 for 8 2500 mash.

I have these 2100 rayovacs platinum that hold their charge and I have to admit they last a long time.

Craig
Like?
Re: So should I send the 2000mah back?

I think I may keep the 2000.s

I just went on amazon and read some reviews and one stated that the 2500.s are rated at 500 charge cycles but the 2000.s are rated at 1500 cycles.. Since I have been using some 2100 cheepos and they work fine for me.. firing my Nikon Sb 900, which is sensitive to bad batteries I think I will keep them..

Craig
Like?
Re: So should I send the 2000mah back?

I know that 500 cycles is plenty but just going on the thought that the 1500 cycles may make one believe the batteries will have better life over all,, no?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads