On purchasing a 5D II

Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions
tiberiousgracchus
Regular MemberPosts: 246
Like?
On purchasing a 5D II
May 15, 2012

So I have been following the forum for quite a few years now. I have a dream and its the 5D II. I recently purchased the X100 and really loving it. I however believe its time to upgrade my 350D. I love low light photography and really my current dslr is no-where near to the task both in terms of focusing and IQ. What i wanted to ask more specifically is would this be a sensible move with my current lenses. Canons : 50 f1.8 , 17-40 f4L and 100 f2.8. I do mostly macro and low light portrait shots. With the arrival of my baby boy I would like to have a camera that i can take advantage of low light environments. Am in need of the camera alone or also lenses?
Regards
Giuseppe

alien3333
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,476
Like?
Re: On purchasing a 5D II
In reply to tiberiousgracchus, May 15, 2012

get Mark III if budget is not a concern, the high iso 12800 is amazing and for fast moving baby in low light ... wow
congrats

-a

tiberiousgracchus wrote:

So I have been following the forum for quite a few years now. I have a dream and its the 5D II. I recently purchased the X100 and really loving it. I however believe its time to upgrade my 350D. I love low light photography and really my current dslr is no-where near to the task both in terms of focusing and IQ. What i wanted to ask more specifically is would this be a sensible move with my current lenses. Canons : 50 f1.8 , 17-40 f4L and 100 f2.8. I do mostly macro and low light portrait shots. With the arrival of my baby boy I would like to have a camera that i can take advantage of low light environments. Am in need of the camera alone or also lenses?
Regards
Giuseppe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tiberiousgracchus
Like?
In reply to alien3333, May 15, 2012

dont push me cause im close to the edge !

I know too true. It has everything I would need. But I cant justify the cash to the missus.

shawn in ak
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?

I'd go with the 5DII, as it is definitely capable for shooting what you describe. Even a lesser camera could do alright. Save that grand or so on lenses and accessories you might need when upgrading.

shawn in ak's gear list:shawn in ak's gear list
Pentax K-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
rpiotr01
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?

Not to push the wrong buttons here, but one very nice thing about the MkIII is just how nice and clean it renders high ISO jpegs, right out of the camera. I know lots of people on these boards pooh-pooh the idea of shooting jpeg but in many situations it's just way more convenient, and being able to get great images that don't require NR or obnoxious WB color adjustments is like a god-send to me, coming from the 5Dc. You'll need all the free time you can get once that baby arrives, better to spend it doing something useful rather than tinkering with tons of RAW files.

I should also add, I don't know how the MkII handles the above. So for your purposes, that may be something to look into - it may be something the MkIII does better than the II, but I don't want to make that assumption.

tiberiousgracchus
Like?
In reply to alien3333, May 16, 2012

5D III as beautiful and versatile a camera as it is ..is just not viable unless followed by the divorce courts . I do have in mind upgrading the 17-40 to a faster zoom perhaps the 16-35, or perhaps a fast prime 35mm lens.The 5D II should be fine with half an eye on a upgrade in the lens dept.
Thanks for your reply's

JoeR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,952Gear list
Like?
In reply to rpiotr01, May 16, 2012
-- hide signature --

The 5D III does most things better than the II except for image quality. Compared to your present cameras you will be more than satisfied and save $1500.

joer56
http://www.pbase.com/joer

JoeR's gear list:JoeR's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads