Vignetting on 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM with 5D mark III

Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions
Pieter Oosthuysen
Junior MemberPosts: 33Gear list
Like?
Vignetting on 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM with 5D mark III
May 15, 2012

We pick up vignetting with this lens on the 5D mark III, we have tested similar lenses as well as with other 5D mark III bodies, it seems to be a problem with the combination, it also occur with other users in South Africa at the airshow on Saturday, it is more extreme when shooting at blue skies.

Can anyone assist

Pieter Oosthuysen's gear list:Pieter Oosthuysen's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
AOKH
Senior MemberPosts: 2,571Gear list
Like?
Re: Vignetting on 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM with 5D mark III
In reply to Pieter Oosthuysen, May 15, 2012

Are you using DPP 3.11.26? The DLO and other features should correct vignetting for the 70-200 II and other covered lenses.
--
Regards. Anders

AOKH's gear list:AOKH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pieter Oosthuysen
Like?
In reply to AOKH, May 15, 2012

Yes, as well as the new firmware for the 5D III, DPP does help around 65% to take it away, but I am waiting for Canon to come back, none of my other L lenses have this issue

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
candleJack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,451Gear list
Like?
Re: Please post a sample.

Preferably 2 samples: one with no correction and another one with DLO correction applied.

Thanks!
--

We make a stand now, or there will be nobody left to go to the chopper..

candleJack's gear list:candleJack's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 350D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +4 more
robbert100
Regular MemberPosts: 495Gear list
Like?

Vignetting with this lens on FF cameras is normal (see the-digital-picture.com) up to more than 1.5 stops in the corners at 200mm. You will have to stop down to f 8.0 to bring down vignetting in the far corners to under .5 stops.

(Greetings to SA )

robbert100's gear list:robbert100's gear list
Canon EOS M
GatanoII
Regular MemberPosts: 264
Like?
it's normal to have vignetting

"Vignetting is a critical topic for most lenses when used on full format DSLRs but it's not an overly significant issue for the EF 70-200mm II. The problem is still visible at around 1.3EV at max. aperture and 135mm/200mm but this still comparatively moderate. The vignetting is basically negligible from f/5.6 onwards."
http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/510-canon_70200_2is28?start=1

you can also set in camera vignetting correction for ready to use jpeg files

Pieter Oosthuysen
Like?
Re: it's normal to have vignetting
In reply to GatanoII, May 15, 2012

Ive checked out the photozone review, but what the 5DIII is producing is far worse than this, about 3 to 4 times more vignetting, I will try to post some samples

Pieter Oosthuysen
Like?
Re: Please post a sample.
In reply to candleJack, May 15, 2012

I have posted one in my gallery, I will post more

Pieter Oosthuysen
Like?
In reply to robbert100, May 15, 2012

Thanks Robert

I have seen the many reviews and realise there is some vignetting, but this is about 3 to 4 times worse, I will post samples in my gallery, there is one but not a perfect example

Pieter Oosthuysen
Like?

Samples of Vignetting

robbert100
Regular MemberPosts: 495Gear list
Like?

Vignetting in the first picture looks normal to me (comparable with the vignetting I noticed with my copy of this lens on a 5DmkII and 5DmkIII)

In the second picture it looks like the vignetting at the right side is more pronounced than the vignetting on the left side makiing me think about a not properly attached lens hood.

Best regards

Rob

(geckophoto.zenfolio.com)

robbert100's gear list:robbert100's gear list
Canon EOS M
Danack
Regular MemberPosts: 331
Like?

robbert100 wrote:

In the second picture it looks like the vignetting at the right side is more pronounced than the vignetting on the left side makiing me think about a not properly attached lens hood.

That's a BINGO!

Unless the lens is incredibly damaged that's got to be the only way to get that pattern of vignetting on it.

-- hide signature --
Steve Balcombe
Forum ProPosts: 10,668
Like?

robbert100 wrote:

Vignetting in the first picture looks normal to me (comparable with the vignetting I noticed with my copy of this lens on a 5DmkII and 5DmkIII)

I agree, that looks like vignetting caused by a physical obstruction.

Pieter Oosthuysen
Like?
In reply to Danack, May 15, 2012

I was moving the camera with the airplane, can it be something like a negative reflection, I am not the only one that is complaining, there were other 5DIII owners that had the same problem with the same lens, Canon SA picked it up also at the airshow, and is currently working with Canon UK to investigate, I hope it was an obstruction or incorrect hood, but I have over 500 pics taken, most of the ones pointed to the blue sky was effected like this

Pieter Oosthuysen
Like?
In reply to Pieter Oosthuysen, May 16, 2012

Canon SA said (not official yet) there is an update coming this week to solve the vignetting problem, I will post the official confirmation as soon as I get it from them

Regards

Schwany
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,485Gear list
Like?
Whaaa?
In reply to Pieter Oosthuysen, May 16, 2012

I guess the way Canon plans to help correct this is with more in-camera peripheral illumination. Not my idea of a real fix. The lens suffers from light fall off, and it is more than negligible stopped down past f/5.6. It's annoying, but the IQ from this lens helps to offset it.

The vignetting is not specific to the 5DMkIII. I see it using a 1Ds MKII and the 5D MkII. The 1Ds MkII does not have in-camera peripheral illumination, and I shoot jpeg, so I really see it on that camera. I don't use that lens for shots of anything in the sky though. Not enough focal length.

You'll probably still see it after Canon's fix. I don't know how they could make it really go away.

Pieter Oosthuysen wrote:

Canon SA said (not official yet) there is an update coming this week to solve the vignetting problem, I will post the official confirmation as soon as I get it from them

Regards

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +14 more
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,090Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pieter Oosthuysen, May 17, 2012

Pieter Oosthuysen wrote:

Samples of Vignetting

If that's due to a physical lens problem, it's pretty inexcusable for a lens that retails for well over $2k.

photonius
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,127
Like?
In reply to Steve Balcombe, May 17, 2012

Steve Balcombe wrote:

robbert100 wrote:

late to the party, but I get the same impression, lens hood not seated correctly?

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

photonius
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,127
Like?
In reply to Pieter Oosthuysen, May 17, 2012

Pieter Oosthuysen wrote:

I was moving the camera with the airplane, can it be something like a negative reflection, I am not the only one that is complaining, there were other 5DIII owners that had the same problem with the same lens, Canon SA picked it up also at the airshow, and is currently working with Canon UK to investigate, I hope it was an obstruction or incorrect hood, but I have over 500 pics taken, most of the ones pointed to the blue sky was effected like this

is the second sample - blue sky - corrected for vignetting by canon software?
or is it in camera jpg, or raw processed without vignetting correction?

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

Steve Balcombe
Forum ProPosts: 10,668
Like?
In reply to photonius, May 17, 2012

photonius wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

robbert100 wrote:

late to the party, but I get the same impression, lens hood not seated correctly?

Pieter has now posted that Canon SA have unofficially announced an "update coming this week to solve the vignetting problem". Me, I'm saying nothing more for the moment...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads