Ebay D700 sale a scam WARNING

Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions
steven Polansky
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Ebay D700 sale a scam WARNING
May 15, 2012

Today I sold my D700 on ebay. I received an e-mail from paypal indicating the payment was made by the highest bidder and then asked to send the camera to the bidders sister in Nigeria. When I was about to send the camera the lady at the Post Office inquired if I was sending it to an ebay buyer. She then asked me to check if it was a real buyer because a lot of packages being sent to e-bay winners in Nigeria are scams. I thought the paypal e-mail was real but it turned out to be a fake Paypal e-mail. I'm send this note because I know a lot of you are planning to sell your D700's after you get your D800 like I did.

Beware of the fraud!

Mssimo
Contributing MemberPosts: 862Gear list
Like?
Did you get the payment?
In reply to steven Polansky, May 15, 2012

Did you show a credit on your paypal? Did the buyer have good rep?
--
Mássimo

Mssimo's gear list:Mssimo's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/25 Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Oscarroos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,914Gear list
Like?
Re: Ebay D700 sale a scam WARNING

Boy that was a close one for you. This is why local sale on Craigslst is my preference and no fees. I would take the Postal lady a box of chocolates or flowers - she saved you from giving away your camera.

steven Polansky wrote:

Today I sold my D700 on ebay. I received an e-mail from paypal indicating the payment was made by the highest bidder and then asked to send the camera to the bidders sister in Nigeria. When I was about to send the camera the lady at the Post Office inquired if I was sending it to an ebay buyer. She then asked me to check if it was a real buyer because a lot of packages being sent to e-bay winners in Nigeria are scams. I thought the paypal e-mail was real but it turned out to be a fake Paypal e-mail. I'm send this note because I know a lot of you are planning to sell your D700's after you get your D800 like I did.

Beware of the fraud!

Oscarroos's gear list:Oscarroos's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5700 Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 +13 more
VadimOm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,902
Like?

steven Polansky wrote:

Today I sold my D700 on ebay. I received an e-mail from paypal indicating the payment was made by the highest bidder and then asked to send the camera to the bidders sister in Nigeria.

Rule #1 of selling on eBay - always ship to confirmed addresses ONLY! (that is, addresses showing on the paypal transaction and indicating confirmed status).

I highly recommend you familiarize yourself with rules of eBay's sellers protection program. It's your only hope when things go bad. Sellers are much less protected on ebay from scam than buyers, even when following the rules to the letter. So you just can't afford not to.

Glad you still have the camera!!

-- hide signature --
Maji
Contributing MemberPosts: 582Gear list
Like?

I am sorry to say, but any one requesting that I do business with anyone in Nigeria is automatically a non-starter for me. When I listed stuff on CL, I get a bunch of those BS email.

Maji's gear list:Maji's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P500 Nikon D800 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
SanMat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,777
Like?

Glad to hear you caught it in time and didn't get scammed.

I had a similar issue with a buyer in Russia. Instead of giving a false address, he asked that I save him some money on shipping and send through USPS, and not UPS, which I usually use. He actually paid, then complained to Ebay that he hadn't received the item. I refunded his money, but haven't seen the lens I sent for many months. It's a lost cause, as USPS seems to have no real way to prove or disprove delivery in foreign countries. With UPS I would have had proof of delivery, and would have been easily able to refuse his request. However, since I sent it USPS, I couldn't get final confirmation of delivery, so I was stuck. He now has a free lens.

My mistake, and lesson learned - NEVER let a buyer dictate shipping terms, even if it means a few extra $$s to send UPS (or something just as secure).

steven Polansky wrote:

Beware of the fraud!

SUPERHOKIE
Contributing MemberPosts: 961
Like?
Wow
In reply to SanMat, May 15, 2012

I didn't know people were still falling for Nigerian scams.
You actually went to the post office to attempt to mail it off??

How stupid can you be?

kevroc
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?

steven Polansky wrote:

Today I sold my D700 on ebay. I received an e-mail from paypal indicating the payment was made by the highest bidder and then asked to send the camera to the bidders sister in Nigeria. When I was about to send the camera
Beware of the fraud!

Really?? You were REALLY going to send a D700 to someones "sister" in Nigeria? Really?? OMG...

lost_in_utah
Regular MemberPosts: 445Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow
In reply to SUPERHOKIE, May 15, 2012

SUPERHOKIE wrote:

How stupid can you be?

Scam? Hardly...After I deposited the money from my now brother-in-law who happens to be a Nigerian Prince, my life couldn't be better! They are all trustworthy people! Not a single scam ever came from Nigeria!

digital-freak
Senior MemberPosts: 2,712Gear list
Like?

You always have to log into your paypal account and make sure the money is in your account and transfer it into your regular bank account before you even think about shipping. I thought that was common practice.
--
Mark

digital-freak's gear list:digital-freak's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +12 more
lmtfa
Contributing MemberPosts: 821Gear list
Like?

Friend, if your not aware of "Nigeria" by now, stop selling.

-- hide signature --

(i)lmtfa added to amino acid for molecular biological studies

lmtfa's gear list:lmtfa's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D90 Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha NEX-6
reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the post.

This indicates that the Nigerian scams on ebay are still alive and well.

Close call for you. Hope your D700 finds a new home soon.

dgc4rter
Regular MemberPosts: 446Gear list
Like?

I'm selling my D700 on eBay but there are a number of things you can do to mitigate the risk of being the victim of a scam.

1.) Enable the Buyer Requirements which lists a number of prerequisites the buyer has to meet before being eligibe to bid on the item.

2.) State you are not posting overseas and DON'T. Let's face it, are you going to have a problem selling your D700? I got a bid in the first few minutes of posting my ad, there are 10 watchers and there's another 9 days to go.

3.) Insist on payment via Paypal and check that the transaction has been verified before posting the item.

4.) The signs of a scam are always there and most are easily recognisable. Check the buyer's reputation and email address. Once they've won the bid, you can check the address location.
--
Dave Carter
http://www.davecarter.me.uk

dgc4rter's gear list:dgc4rter's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800E Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +3 more
Myallegro31
Regular MemberPosts: 280Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow
In reply to lost_in_utah, May 15, 2012

lost_in_utah wrote:

SUPERHOKIE wrote:

How stupid can you be?

Scam? Hardly...After I deposited the money from my now brother-in-law who happens to be a Nigerian Prince, my life couldn't be better! They are all trustworthy people! Not a single scam ever came from Nigeria!

+100... I sent off my brand new D800 to Nigeria two days ago because my long lost sister was just found and told me she really wanted one. Boy am I happy I found her!
--
Adam Allegro
http://catchthejiffy.com

Myallegro31's gear list:Myallegro31's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,684Gear list
Like?
In reply to dgc4rter, May 15, 2012

+1 Excellent advice!

Another trick that takes balls is to list it for $1 (if you know it is a hot ticket).

For some reason it alway sells for a higher price in the end. I guess it is shark feeding frenzy. Once people start piling on everyone wants it and they seem to be willing to pay more for it.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Leica M8
skyapollo
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
In reply to lmtfa, May 15, 2012

lmtfa wrote:

Friend, if your not aware of "Nigeria" by now, stop selling.

-- hide signature --

(i)lmtfa added to amino acid for molecular biological studies

Gotta agree I really didn't think anyone was this gullible in this day and age!!

harold1968
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,687Gear list
Like?
419er

http://www.419eater.com/index.php

steven Polansky wrote:

Beware of the fraud!

-- hide signature --
 harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Sony RX1R Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
K10D
Contributing MemberPosts: 776Gear list
Like?
Re: 419er
In reply to harold1968, May 15, 2012

This thread has to be some kind of joke. Surely in this day and age you wouldn't fall for something as obvious as a "sister" in Nigeria.
--
Bob

Perth, Western Australia

Harry Sinniah
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
Re: 419er
In reply to K10D, May 15, 2012

I do not know if you have noticed that a lot of sellers do not sell to virgin bidders. They clearly state that you have to have aleast 10 positive feedback of prior transactions on your profile before they can accept your bid.

So you have to screen these bidders and reject, also some do not do business with overseas clients at all.

Also quickly draw / transfer you money as some people have done a reverse scam of retracting the money after they recieved the product. Its really lucky you didnt ship it.

I never transact any business without reading the feedback on the profile very clearly.

Harry Sinniah's gear list:Harry Sinniah's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +3 more
ARB1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,051Gear list
Like?
In reply to digital-freak, May 15, 2012

digital-freak wrote:

You always have to log into your paypal account and make sure the money is in your account and transfer it into your regular bank account before you even think about shipping. I thought that was common practice.
--

This is the only way I do business on eBay. I also seldom ship overseas, and I only ship to the address on record. There's a sucker born every minute and these folks doing the scams will surely find them; no offense to the OP.

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Nikon D800 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads