HDR In body, what do you think? (Nex-5N)

Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions
Pelbaya
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
HDR In body, what do you think? (Nex-5N)
May 15, 2012

Hi All, Very first post here!

I have always wanted to do HDR photography. Never thought I could get this kind of result, with only the in-body processing, plus a few touches with iPhoto on saturation and contrast. Let me know what you think!

Question:

With the NEX-5N, bracketting can only provide 3 pictures, with a max of -0.7 & +0.7. If I wanted to achieve HDR manually, I would have to do the bracketting manually. Do you agree? Any special tricks you can provide, for a beginner at HDR?

Thanks!

data2000
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?
Re: HDR In body, what do you think? (Nex-5N)
In reply to Pelbaya, May 15, 2012

Yes type HDR in google theres tons of things you can learn about it Also do a search on it in these forums
with the Search function here

data2000's gear list:data2000's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RustierOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,341Gear list
Like?
HDR In body w/ Nex-5N - I'm impressed

Each of these pairs of photos is what results from in-camera HDR @ 6.0 E.V. I assume one of them is the normally exposed photo and the other is the HDR version. That one really brings out detail particularly in the shadows.

These next two are at ISO 1600 because I was taking flower pictures in the wind/shade and wanted fast shutter speed. I forgot to set back to a reasonable ISO.

-- hide signature --

Russ

RustierOne's gear list:RustierOne's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +3 more
steve vida
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?

Nice shot ,with a wonderful amount of detail in the sky.Ive been using the in camera HDR on my 5n almost exclusively ,my previous camera relied on AEB & I use Photomatix software.It is a bit lazy but it does save a lot of time in PP work.The new version of PMatix 4.2 does offer greater levels of control ,I find I use Photoshop to fine-tune the in -camera HDR's more than the Photomatix versions.I can see me using Photomatics with the 5n more in the future.You can try using the exp. comp.dial to do manual exposure HDR's.Keep the camera in A mode so it just changes the shutter speed & dial in your + or - settings.You can also shoot in RAW in the AEB mode which offers greater DR.Or do manual RAW exposures with the Exp.comp.wheel.A lot of people are hopeing for an increase in the AEB range from the megre .7 ev with a firmware up date,one can hope.

steve vida's gear list:steve vida's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +3 more
jrector
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?

I usually "cheat" my HDR photos using a combination of RAW, Lightroom, and HDR Pro from NIK Software. I simply shoot one well exposed RAW file. In Lightroom I create multiple "virtual" copies (2,4, even 6) and then start changing the exposure (IE. -2,-1,0,1,2) on the copies. Then export them all to HDR Efex Pro for my HDR shot. Seems to work pretty well most times.

Scubadu
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?
In reply to jrector, May 15, 2012

In-camera HDR works remarkably well with stationary subjects. I posted this photo in another thread about the kit lens. HDR diff was used. I'll have to post the non-HDR photo becuase the differenceis huge.

DuncanDovovan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277
Like?
In reply to Scubadu, May 15, 2012

Scubadu wrote:

In-camera HDR works remarkably well with stationary subjects. I posted this photo in another thread about the kit lens. HDR diff was used. I'll have to post the non-HDR photo becuase the differenceis huge.

Of course this is not a bad shot, but still I personally think you would have better results when you would take 5 shots about 1 EV apart and run them trough Photomatix. PM does a great job in using local contrast.

The statue is a little bit underexposed.

You can also change this a bit in PP I guess.

Miwok
Regular MemberPosts: 456Gear list
Like?
In reply to DuncanDovovan, May 15, 2012

Here, 2 with Photomatix, (5 shots at 1EV)
I like it better than the HDR on board, but you need a good tripod.

-- hide signature --
 Miwok's gear list:Miwok's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3
smalltimewine
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?

I've had the NEX-7 for a week, and it's the first camera that I've used with onboard HDR. It takes some trial and error to get to the right range, but I was more than impressed with its capabilities in a shot I took over the weekend. The resulting JPG still required some curve, local adjustments, and split toning to get the look I wanted, but what a solid place to start.

Bracketing and combining exposures with software is certainly the better way to go, but it's cool having the onboard processing too.

offtraildog
Regular MemberPosts: 160Gear list
Like?
In reply to smalltimewine, May 15, 2012

Hey smalltime ... i think they nailed the styling on the z8 ... one of the best looking roadsters ever. i am sure you treasure the car

offtraildog's gear list:offtraildog's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
smalltimewine
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
In reply to offtraildog, May 15, 2012

Indeed - both inside and out, the beauty and continuity of the design are sublime. As you can see, it makes for a great subject.

gstefane
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
In reply to Pelbaya, May 16, 2012

try hdr painting that's available in PASM modes

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads