Price drop at Amazon on 5DmkIII - just occurred!

Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions
JFScheck
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
Price drop at Amazon on 5DmkIII - just occurred!
May 15, 2012

Was checking my order on Amazon and just saw the price drop on my Canon 5DmkIII from $3,699.00 to $3,499.00.

I canceled my previous order a few weeks back just because I wanted to receive a camera body "post" light leak fix (aka - tape) - looks like my patience will be rewarded with a small $200.00 bonus.

As long as this camera arrives before my next big trip I'll be happy - and oh by the way, when can I pre-order my 24-70 mkII?

-- hide signature --

John 'JFScheck' Scheck
'Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead.'

JFScheck's gear list:JFScheck's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +4 more
Steve Dell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,119
Like?
Re: Price drop at Amazon on 5DmkIII - just occurred!
In reply to JFScheck, May 15, 2012

I believe the original price was supposed to be US$3499.00
--
Steve Dell
Tucson AZ
http://www.stevedellphotography.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RichW
Forum ProPosts: 12,759Gear list
Like?
They removed the premium......

and set it back to the original price. Now is looks like a bargain.

Great marketing strategy......

-- hide signature --

Yea, my 5D3 has the light leak with the lens cap on. The pics are better with the cap off anyway.

RichW's gear list:RichW's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
JFScheck
Like?
Re: They removed the premium......
In reply to RichW, May 15, 2012

Damn - I don't know how I'm supposed to feel about that...

-- hide signature --

John 'JFScheck' Scheck

Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +4 more
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?

Now is looks like a bargain

The camera may be worth the price but I am not sure "bargain" is the right word at $3500 US. Now if they want to drop the price to US $2500 that would be a different story ...

Severian The Lame
Contributing MemberPosts: 514Gear list
Like?

This price "change" means absolutely nothing, other than that they have bodies in stock. It is a very common practice for the price to rise when Amazon does not have it in stock. Often times the higher price you see listed is not from Amazon itself but from one of the "featured merchants" in Amazon Marketplace. As soon as Amazon gets the stuff in stock the price magically falls. This happens especially on items that are having a sale on: when they sell out, the price goes up to the list price, but when they get more stock the price falls to the sales price.

Now you see them selling the 5D3 for $3200 or less, that's the time to get excited.

Severian The Lame's gear list:Severian The Lame's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +10 more
bronxbombers
Forum ProPosts: 18,226
Like?

JFScheck wrote:

Damn - I don't know how I'm supposed to feel about that...

-- hide signature --

John 'JFScheck' Scheck

You must have ordered it from a third part merchant and not amazon themselves and the third party had been originally price gouging.

bronxbombers
Forum ProPosts: 18,226
Like?
In reply to Severian The Lame, May 15, 2012

Severian The Lame wrote:

Now you see them selling the 5D3 for $3200 or less, that's the time to get excited.

J&R had the kit for $130 off, combine selling the lens for a little extra and the bonus points so CC offer at J&R and you can get it for $3200, I just did.

chironNYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,377
Like?
In reply to Severian The Lame, May 15, 2012

Exactly right. $3499 has always been the price at Amazon, B&H, Adorama.

Severian The Lame wrote:

This price "change" means absolutely nothing, other than that they have bodies in stock. It is a very common practice for the price to rise when Amazon does not have it in stock. Often times the higher price you see listed is not from Amazon itself but from one of the "featured merchants" in Amazon Marketplace. As soon as Amazon gets the stuff in stock the price magically falls. This happens especially on items that are having a sale on: when they sell out, the price goes up to the list price, but when they get more stock the price falls to the sales price.

-- hide signature --

Peter

ArabiaSandStorm
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?
In reply to MikeFromMesa, May 15, 2012

They made that mistake once with the 5DM2, they will never do it again.

MikeFromMesa wrote:

Now is looks like a bargain

The camera may be worth the price but I am not sure "bargain" is the right word at $3500 US. Now if they want to drop the price to US $2500 that would be a different story ...

ArabiaSandStorm
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?

Your order must have been with one of the re-seller thugs allowed by Amazon.com

JFScheck wrote:

Was checking my order on Amazon and just saw the price drop on my Canon 5DmkIII from $3,699.00 to $3,499.00.

I canceled my previous order a few weeks back just because I wanted to receive a camera body "post" light leak fix (aka - tape) - looks like my patience will be rewarded with a small $200.00 bonus.

As long as this camera arrives before my next big trip I'll be happy - and oh by the way, when can I pre-order my 24-70 mkII?

-- hide signature --

John 'JFScheck' Scheck

Kevin Jorgensen
Contributing MemberPosts: 745Gear list
Like?
In reply to ArabiaSandStorm, May 15, 2012

What they lose on the merry go round they pick up on the swing. I'm trying to work out why the 24-70f2.8L has jumped by nearly $400 on the grey market over my way. The 15f2.8 fisheye jumped just after L zoom fisheye was released as well. Paid over $800 for mine. I can only summise that stocks are drying up in anticipation of the newer model.

Kevin Jorgensen's gear list:Kevin Jorgensen's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +2 more
JFScheck
Like?
In reply to bronxbombers, May 18, 2012

bronxbombers wrote:

You must have ordered it from a third part merchant and not amazon themselves and the third party had been originally price gouging.

[color=darkblue]Nope - it was from Amazon, I actually was on the phone with Amazon when both me and the Amazon rep watched it drop.

Guess Amazon too had a little mark-up in play for the first few batches of cameras...
[ color]
[color=darkgreen]
--
John 'JFScheck' Scheck
[
color]

JFScheck
Like?
In reply to Kevin Jorgensen, May 18, 2012

That is what I have read, also have read that the dealy to the new mkii is to get rid of all 24-70L mki stock out in the wild...
--
John 'JFScheck' Scheck

chironNYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,377
Like?
In reply to JFScheck, May 18, 2012

I have only ever seen it on Amazon for 3499, except for third party merchants, who were small stores trying to get a premium.

The price is 3499.

JFScheck wrote:
bronxbombers wrote:

[color=darkblue]Nope - it was from Amazon, I actually was on the phone with Amazon when both me and the Amazon rep watched it drop.

Guess Amazon too had a little mark-up in play for the first few batches of cameras...
[ color]
[color=darkgreen]
--
John 'JFScheck' Scheck
[
color]

-- hide signature --

Peter

yabokkie
Regular MemberPosts: 483
Like?
price drop, maybe two grands within two years

I'd guess that there may well be a price drop of two grands say, before the Christmas of next year, may be more if 5D4 comes before that (50D came early because 40D looked bad compared with D300).

Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,233
Like?
Here's a real price drop - $3,149.99
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
I wonder ...
In reply to Horshack, May 18, 2012

It is truly tempting, but perhaps this is where the series 1 and 2 cameras have found a home?

Tom Melanson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,214Gear list
Like?

You can pre-order the 24-70 from B&H. I pre-ordered mine about a month ago.
(Don't expect delivery 'til July, though.)

JFScheck wrote:

-- hide signature --

John 'JFScheck' Scheck

-- hide signature --

(See equipment list under 'profile')

Tom Melanson's gear list:Tom Melanson's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +9 more
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 24,127
Like?
Now there's a surprise
In reply to Horshack, May 18, 2012
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads