thanks nikon for screwing me out of work tonigh!!!!!!

Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions
petefish
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
Re: thanks nikon for screwing me out of work tonigh!!!!!!
In reply to sssesq, May 15, 2012

love the article, i feel just like that guy Peter Turchan, except the last name.

petefish's gear list:petefish's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ozarktroutfisher
Contributing MemberPosts: 523
Like?
Tough Love From the Forum
In reply to petefish, May 15, 2012

OK so I've read almost all of the replies on this thread so far. You've been given a decent dose of tough love and have responded w/o fail with the classic "it aint my fault" response. All of your "reasons" for failure are just excuses and are based purely on decisions you've made all along the way.

Large student loan, your fault. I worked my way through college, joined the National Guard, and paid every single penny myself. I graduated owing a total of $3500. Don't tell me you made wise decisions if you owe $1800 per month.

Car ......... get a beater as has been suggested. Apartment ...... get a lessor one. All decisions. Bottom line is you signed up to deliver a service that you're only prepared to deliver on if everything goes great. Well apparently that's not always the case.

I do consulting engineering for sawmills and work with a lot of contractors. Their issues with equipment, manpower, etc are not my concern. Get the job done, or the next guy will, period. It's a tough lesson to learn and you better learn it quickly or photography will become a hobby for you.

I'm sure you're a great guy and I sincerely wish you well. Just look in the mirror and be responsible for your own actions.

Keith

eNo
eNo
Forum ProPosts: 11,717
Like?
How did Nikon stop you from renting?

If it's a paid gig, you could have expensed it out?
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Home page: http://imagesbyeduardo.com
Portfolio page: http://downeyweddingphotography.com/wedfolio

Luke Kaven
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,990
Like?
Re: Tough Love From the Forum
In reply to ozarktroutfisher, May 15, 2012

ozarktroutfisher wrote:

OK so I've read almost all of the replies on this thread so far. You've been given a decent dose of tough love and have responded w/o fail with the classic "it aint my fault" response. All of your "reasons" for failure are just excuses and are based purely on decisions you've made all along the way.

More or less...if you're going to be a pro, there are no excuses.

Large student loan, your fault. I worked my way through college, joined the National Guard, and paid every single penny myself. I graduated owing a total of $3500. Don't tell me you made wise decisions if you owe $1800 per month.

I don't know how old you are, but the cost of education has astronomically outstripped the increases in the cost of living, not to mention real wages. See last Sunday's NY Times headline. A generation is hobbled by student loan debt, and that is partly because in the last decade, a parade of predatory lenders has been ushered in. When I grew up, the government did things to help your education. Now they prey on you, or they enable others to prey on you.

It's not an easy message to tell an entire generation that it just isn't possible for them to have the education their parents had, even though they are in exactly the equivalent economic situation. Expect some blowback.

petefish
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
In reply to ozarktroutfisher, May 15, 2012

got ya, purchased new body this morning. so once repairs r complete and d4 arrives ill have 3 bodies. thank you for being so kind

petefish's gear list:petefish's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +2 more
Wanchese
Senior MemberPosts: 2,207
Like?

You shoot for a living with a D7000 and have no back up camera? Sounds like there is only person you should be angry at.
--
You Will Never Walk Alone

Jtmyob21
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to BIGGY, May 16, 2012

BIGGY wrote:

Sorry, I'm with everyone else. This is still planning and preparation. First rule is that if you shoot professionally then you have a backup camera, backups for your cards, backups of your backups, and anything else that you can think of. The fault is 100% yours and 0% that of Nikon.

If you're a student or had bills and couldn't afford additional gear, then the question is if you should be 100% committing to shoot professionally for a team. Your responsibility is to deliver images, end of story. If you cannot do that, then you should not be shooting or at least shooting as a lead. As a wedding photographer my job is also to my clients. If my camera breaks then it is my responsibility to have a second and/or third camera there. That same responsibility is passed on to my second shooter. Gear breaks and will continue to break. If you cannot afford it then that means you get a second job on top of your internship instead of being a crybaby. You go flip burgers or whatever you can do get extra cash in your pocket. It means that you sacrifice sleep for the extra pay. I'm 32 and paid my way through school by working a combination of 4 jobs at DePaul (not a cheap school).

It's ok to rant or vent. We all have our days when we just need to blow off some steam. But it's another thing to make excuses such as what you're doing. If you're a poor recovering student then you get a more dumpy apartment that's cheaper (and I know the market...there is cheaper). You sell your car and get more of a beater or a bicycle or scooter. But to me you sound like the case of "everyone gets a trophy". It's the generation where every kid on the little league sports team got a trophy with random awards such as "most spirited" as a reward for nothing. And your words now...your very writing is the example of what happens to those kids when they become adults. When they don't get their trophy, they become crybabies.

petefish wrote:

poor planning!?!?!? your right cuz i always plan on my shutter blowing out a month before the season, and nikon taking their sweet a$$ time to fix a shutter. backup plan, sorry, some people have to actually save money to do certain things like pay back my school loans, $1800 a month, oh or rent $1200, car payment $300. this i my second year shooting with the team and let me clarify that last year i was an intern getting paid dick, i was hired on the beginning of this season. wouldnt be shooting for a major league baseball team if i didnt know what the hell i was doing. hopefully next life ill be born rich instead of good looking

-- hide signature --

http://novophotography.com
Tweet! @novophotography

Sorry, I beg to differ on your comment that the market in Miami is cheaper. You're either not from here, or haven't looked for housing here recently. It's a big fat myth that housing is cheap in Miami. If you want to live in a safe neighborhood, rent starts at $1200+ and it is slim pickings. Buying is horrible. Ntoo many investors with wads of cash outbidding you on any house you want to buy. On this one, I understand the OP. living in S. Florida is very expensive, and housing isn't cheap at all. A sad reality that becomes very apparent as soon as you need to buy here n

Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,364
Like?
You were looking for pitty and found a hornets nest.
In reply to petefish, May 16, 2012

But you are young and will survive the onslaught of people telling you you are irresponsible. One thing college teaches is that you are entitled through liberalism. Reality teaches you, otherwise. I wish you well, but 1800 dollars a month is going to hurt for a very long time because photography doesn't pay that great That is mortgage and utilities on my 5200 sq ft house. Good luck. Perhaps in your next life it would be better that you are reborn smart, rich with then probably follow, but being born rich and dumb, a fool and his money are soon parted

petefish wrote:

i shoot for the miami marlins, and since the beginning of the season to date i have been borrowing my buddies d300s, because my d7000 has been at nikons repair center for three months for a broken shutter, and i still have not gotten my d4 i preordered late feb. give me freakn break nikon. well, i was not able to borrow my buddies camera tonight, had to miss my first game of the season, so thanks nikon for screwing me out of work tonigh!!!!!! had to rant.

happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,725Gear list
Like?
Hahahaha...

Either buy another camera or rent one. But wait, blame the cmaera manufaturer for a lack of common sense, tha american way!!!

Too funny.

If you need a list of cmaera shops that rent equipment or that you can buy a cheap slr at let me know.

petefish wrote:

i shoot for the miami marlins, and since the beginning of the season to date i have been borrowing my buddies d300s, because my d7000 has been at nikons repair center for three months for a broken shutter, and i still have not gotten my d4 i preordered late feb. give me freakn break nikon. well, i was not able to borrow my buddies camera tonight, had to miss my first game of the season, so thanks nikon for screwing me out of work tonigh!!!!!! had to rant.

-- hide signature --

http://www.wanderinground.wordpress.com
http://www.pbase.com/happypoppeye

It's almost all opinion folks, gonna have to deal with it.

Equipment: 1 Finger, an eye, a camera body and 50mm (equivalent) lens, half a brain, and a lot of money leftover to spend on using that equipment

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
ozarktroutfisher
Like?
In reply to Luke Kaven, May 16, 2012

Luke Kaven wrote:

ozarktroutfisher wrote:

More or less...if you're going to be a pro, there are no excuses.

I don't know how old you are, but the cost of education has astronomically outstripped the increases in the cost of living, not to mention real wages. See last Sunday's NY Times headline. A generation is hobbled by student loan debt, and that is partly because in the last decade, a parade of predatory lenders has been ushered in. When I grew up, the government did things to help your education. Now they prey on you, or they enable others to prey on you.

It's not an easy message to tell an entire generation that it just isn't possible for them to have the education their parents had, even though they are in exactly the equivalent economic situation. Expect some blowback.

Ok fair enough. I'm 48 years old and have served as an Alumni Ambassador for my school by going to college fairs and working with HS kids heading to college and I know what it costs. No doubt it costs more now than it did in 1987 when I graduated but anyone can absolutely do it if they really want to. When I say I worked my way through school, I mean I worked. I had 2 jobs in the summer and literally did whatever I had to do to make it. I'm not alone in having to work and I'm sure several on this forum did as well. I was lucky in that I grew up on a farm and hard work was just what we all did.

I see young people come and go at the mill I contract to now. It's very demanding work and frankly most don't last the first week. Having said that a lot of older workers don't either, but the point is we're hiring 100% of the time because people are not willing to do what it takes to keep this job. They just don't want it badly enough.

This is in no way a reflection on Pete. I just firmly believe we all do what we really want to do and generally get out of life what we put into it and I'm sick of all the excuses that I constantly hear everyday. I'll shut up now.

Keith

RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,697Gear list
Like?
3 months for $9/day camera rental

do yourself a foavor and look how many games are in a season, i'd go broke. so if i had to rent a camera for every game this season at $50,

that would cost $4,100 in six months, and the funny thing is when i looked into renting it was $85 dollars a day.

You need a different camera rental place!

Lensrentals has D700's for $9/day for three months:

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/nikon/cameras/nikon-d700

RB

http://www.dpreview.com/members/2305099006/challenges
http://www.pbase.com/rbfresno/profile

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
Fearless_Photog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,250
Like?

This is the same mentality that lets people justify suing a fast food chain for "making them fat". Everything else that needed to be said has already been said. You're shooting paid assignments, buy a backup camera, don't give your client a reason to fire you. Don't pass the blame when you can't get it together, the client will blame you as they should.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcullenphoto/

munro harrap
Contributing MemberPosts: 639
Like?

Hire next time.

ozarktroutfisher
Like?

Pete,

Take this negative experience and use it to your advantage. We've all learned hard lessons that make us better at whatever we do. As an engineer, I have to design around every conceivable scenario. You now know that crap happens. You be the guy that always comes through no matter what's thrown at you from now on. Trust me, those above you will notice.

Keith

Kabe Luna
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,259Gear list
Like?
Three words

Back Up Body

If you're getting paid to shoot stuff like sports where you can't reschedule, better have back up lenses, too. Redundancy is the professionals mandate. If you can't afford to buy, you can always rent in any town with a pro sports team. If you didn't shoot the game, you only have yourself to blame, really.

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +7 more
Kabe Luna
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,259Gear list
Like?
Cancel the D4 pre-order

Take that $6K, buy two second-hand D3 bodies and quit whining.

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-DN029991041450?r=FE

When your D7000 finally gets back, you'll have a second body in addition to a back up. Sheesh. Four years of college and you can't figure this out yourself?

petefish wrote:

i forgot, money grows on trees, got school payments dude! the day i ordered my backup camera for the season, my shutter on my other blew out......3 months ago!!!

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +7 more
joeybob
Contributing MemberPosts: 504Gear list
Like?
My dog ate my hoemwork...

Ford designed my car so poorly that when it broke I couldn't get to work...

The electric company's charges are so high that I couldn't pay my bill and when I tried turning on my PC - well there was no power and I couldn't upload my edits so it's all the electric companies fault...

Nike shoelaces caused me to trip and fall so I couldn't make it on time...

Sunoco closed the gas station close to home so when my car ran out of gas I called Sunoco in the next town and they said they wouldn't come take me to work...

My bills are so high that I could only afford one shovel and it broke. I ordered a new shovel that costs 4 times as much (along with every other ditch digger on the planet even though I could have purchased numerous other shovels from any hardware store in town at a drastically lower cost) so it's somehow the shovel makers fault I can't work today...

I ordered a newly announced camera from a company that has had problems with meeting demand for the past 2 or 3 years; it isn't here yet so it's Nikon's fault that I can't do the job I agreed to do... (See the Ford example above re: the broken D7K excuse)

joeybob's gear list:joeybob's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +27 more
Number 6
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?

petefish wrote:

poor planning!?!?!? your right cuz i always plan on my shutter blowing out a month before the season, and nikon taking their sweet a$$ time to fix a shutter. backup plan, sorry, some people have to actually save money to do certain things like pay back my school loans, $1800 a month, oh or rent $1200, car payment $300.

petefish, if one person calls you a horse, ignore him. If three people call you a horse, you need a saddle.

You're getting good advise on your perspective. You should listen.

FtoDin5min
Regular MemberPosts: 398Gear list
Like?
In reply to Number 6, May 17, 2012

Waoh, I am amazed by so many righteous people willing to tell Pete how unprofessional he is. I am amazed how most forget their own mistakes. Pete is a young pro, he made a mistake and is paying for it. A couple of answers would have sufficed for him and all of us to understand the point.

But guess what, Nikon 3 months+ timeframe is also unacceptable, NPS or not!!!!!
Pete is d@mn right to be upset despite his mistake.

I suspect we are seeing so many answers because most feels agressed that Nikon is being criticized. This is so ridiculously silly.

I have been a pure and only Nikon user for over 25 years, that does make me a fan. But that does not stop me from being frustrated at the many mistakes Nikon made (like any other brand...). And in my experience, their service did s&ck big time at some point.

I joined these forums in the hope to read and learn from others' experience, not from their ideology...

Pete, sad you made that mistake, sad Nikon repair center sucked so much in your case. Learn from it but forget about the criticisms and attacks of everyone past the 3rd answer, they are just lovesick groupies whose idol you dared talk about in a not so idolistic way and remember they are all faultless photographers :). And make sure you make the most of your anger, this is a great way to get better

Congrats and good luck on the new job

FtoDin5min's gear list:FtoDin5min's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended +5 more
Number 6
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?
In reply to FtoDin5min, May 17, 2012

FtoDin5min wrote:

... they are just lovesick groupies whose idol you dared talk about in a not so idolistic way and remember they are all faultless photographers :).

Not all of us are groupies (I don't own any Nikon H/W - the D800 may finally change that) and not all of us consider ourselves faultless (I'm certainly not).

The world is often unfair and placing blame when it isn't just wastes one's time and emotional energy. Had the OP been solution instead of blame oriented, his dilemma would have been adequately dealt with and his emotional state right now would be much better than it is.

Yeah, he had some tough breaks but he's as much a victim of his approach as he is of Nikon's failures.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads