New compact camera: 2 year old Canon S95 or other camera?

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions
Tomovich
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
New compact camera: 2 year old Canon S95 or other camera?
May 14, 2012

Hello

I am looking for a new compact camera. After reading some reviews and talking to some people, I think I will go for the Canon PowerShot S95. I've read that the S100, latest model, is very good but not so much of an improvement as the price difference suggests. The only thing I am not sure of is if this model is not too old compared to other cameras (already 2 years since release).

Are there other, newer, cameras that are better or as good as the S95 but around the same price? I can find one for around € 270. I do not know much about what is available.

Thanks for the info!

John Glover
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,473Gear list
Like?
Re: New compact camera: 2 year old Canon S95 or other camera?
In reply to Tomovich, May 14, 2012

The S95 will be fine. The S100 does add a wider lens which may be important to some. Similar price ranges would be and LX5, which has a wider and slightly faster overall lens or the XZ-1 which has a much faster lens throughout its range but is also a much bigger camera. Depends on what you want, but for a jeans pocket pocketable camera that takes great pictures, the S95 is hard to beat.
--
John Glover
WSSA #141PX

John Glover's gear list:John Glover's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus XZ-1 Sony RX100 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Pentax K-5 +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Skipper494
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,765
Like?
In reply to Tomovich, May 14, 2012

I'd look for a Nikon P7000, far superior.

Tomovich
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to Skipper494, May 15, 2012

Those are not in the same price range as the S95, they're all more expensive. Is the S95 really that good that no other camera at the same price point comes near it?

And I'm sorry to sound like a total moron but what do a wider and faster lens do exactly?

John Glover
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,473Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tomovich, May 15, 2012

A wider lens has a shorter focal length and gives a wider field of view. The S95 starts out at a 28mm equivalent field of view as does the Xz-1. The S100 and the LX5 both start at a 24mm equivalent so you get more of the scene in your viewfinder.

A fast lens, also called a bright lens, has a larger aperture so it lets in more light, which gives you a faster shutter speed and/or lower ISO. All of these cameras start out around f/2 but at the telephoto end, the Canons end up about f/5.6 while the LX5 and XZ1 max out at around f/3 or so. So at the telephoto end the XZ-1 and LX-5 let in about twice as much light as the Canon cameras.

-- hide signature --

John Glover
WSSA #141PX

John Glover's gear list:John Glover's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus XZ-1 Sony RX100 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Pentax K-5 +21 more
picthis
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
In reply to Tomovich, May 16, 2012

Before I bought my XZ-1, I researched & tested S100, LX-5, Samsung EX-1, Nikon P310 (BSI CMOS but smaller sensor), G12 and always found myself coming back to XZ-1. The IQ (at lower ISO), low-light performance & fast response due to its f1.8 lens is unparalleled in its class. Even the EX with its F1.8 loses in performance vs XZ-1. Sure I could have purchased a good M4/3 for a little more but it still can't beat XZ-1 convincingly with its kit lenses. You would have to put a very expensive pancake to barely edge out the XZ-1. Another reason I did not buy a M4/3 is I don't want to buy into another $ystem of lenses when I already have a good DSLR setup that'll beat M4/3 IQ & lowlight performance when I need it. What I'm saying is that XZ-1 has a superb lens on it and this is the primary reason that I bought it and I haven't regret it since. Of course it has its weakness too such as very mediocre video performance. But if video is important for you, then you should look elsewhere. Also, XZ-1 is at the size limit where I feel it is still considered a compact. Anything bigger, including M4/3rds, are too big to comfortably carry everywhere I go.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads