Computer/printer desk set up?

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions
Matt Shelton
Regular MemberPosts: 354Gear list
Like?
Computer/printer desk set up?
May 14, 2012

For those of you with home offices, what do you use for desks/tables to put a monitor and a couple of printers on? I'm in the market for something new. I'm also debating replacing an aging MacPro with a new iMac,so I might not need a cabinet to store a tower. I'm amazed in the shopping that I've done that I haven't been able to find anything appealing to me. Any thoughts?

Matt Shelton's gear list:Matt Shelton's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +2 more
TraceyS
Senior MemberPosts: 2,682Gear list
Like?
Re: Computer/printer desk set up?
In reply to Matt Shelton, May 14, 2012

There are some amazing setups over on MacRumors. I can't remember what forum the threads are in.... loads and loads of tech eye candy to behold

Right now i'm using an IKEA Expedit 2X4 with the Expedit desk. I like it, i have my external drives on one of the shelves under the desktop. It's not very exciting, but I needed something quick and had these items here (the desk I "borrowed" from my teenager - like she was using it. Not.).

My complaint isn't a complaint for me personally, but the desk is tall. I use a drafting chair with it and it is fine (I use it at my other desk too). There is a hack to install a keyboard drawer and I marked mine with where to drill - but with the drafting chair i haven't felt the need.
--
Tracey

TraceyS's gear list:TraceyS's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
graybalanced
Senior MemberPosts: 3,645
Like?
In reply to Matt Shelton, May 15, 2012

I use Ikea Galant because it has the right selection of desk and table modules to create the kind of long, continuous, corner wraparound desks you see in office buildings so I can have a big enough workspace to spread out monitors, scanner, printer, prints, etc. And it's relatively affordable.

As far as height goes, the tabletops and legs are separate items, so height depends on if you choose a set of height-adjustable legs to put it on. Mine can be set to fit me pretty well so that ergonomics are good. The setup may be better than any office I actually worked in. And I still keep my Mac Pro under it.

Steven VW
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
In reply to Matt Shelton, May 15, 2012

I use an IKEA Torsby dining table. It houses my 27" iMac, an Epson A3+ printer, a scanner/printer combo and my Wacom tablet.

bobfa
Junior MemberPosts: 38Gear list
Like?
In reply to Matt Shelton, May 23, 2012

I have my office setup using Ikea desks. Like these: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69852115/

I like the adjustable height so that I can put the the tables so that my keyboard at the right height.

bobfa's gear list:bobfa's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +3 more
John Deerfield
Senior MemberPosts: 2,027
Like?

What's your budget? I love my Anthro units, but they are pricey.

http://www.anthro.com/

MrMojo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,148
Like?

Keep in mind that iMacs do not have any height adjustment. When I purchased a 24" iMac I almost returned it because I suffered from bad neck pain because I was always looking up at the display. I was finally able to jury-rig my computer desk and chair to barely compensate, but the lack of basic ergonomic adjustments is very bad design on Apple's part. I won't be replacing my iMac with another one because of this issue.

I checked out various desk alternatives and even high-end models from Anthro could not adequately address the problem. It's ridiculous that I must invest $200-$300 for a VESA setup in order to obtain ergonomic adjustments that are available on inexpensive LCD displays.

Last summer I purchased a 13" MBP and a high-end 24" NEC display. The display can be lowered to within 3" of the desktop; other NEC displays can be lowered to where they almost touch the desktop. I'll be replacing the iMac with a similar setup when the new MBPs are released. I like the convenience of being able to take my primary Mac on the road with me; it sure beats having to keep a desktop and portable computer in sync.

I'm no shorty either: I'm 5'10" tall.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads