Can focus be moved to a button on the back of the OM D ?

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions
Dean Whitling
Contributing MemberPosts: 538
Like?
Can focus be moved to a button on the back of the OM D ?
May 14, 2012

I like to seperate my focus and exposure on canon cameras by moving the focus to a button on the back of the camera. Does anyone know if this can be done with the OM-D ?
Thanks

TonyJuliano
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Re: Can focus be moved to a button on the back of the OM D ?
In reply to Dean Whitling, May 14, 2012

Yes, it most certainly can. The FN1 button on the back can be configured for a wide array of options, AFL included.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PeterNMIF
Senior MemberPosts: 2,405Gear list
Like?
Agreed, but
In reply to TonyJuliano, May 14, 2012

The Fn1 button is right where the typical AEL/AFL button is on many cameras. But it is difficult to press because of the rubber thumb rest. You need to bend you thumb and almost use a fingernail (or tip of your finger) to depress. As a button to use occasionally its okay but a bit spongy. But as a button to use all the time for focus it is rather unfriendly. It also has the problem (my opinion, it's a problem) of locking focus but then you need to click it again to unlock. With my GH2, but button refocuses each time I press it,and it has a nice click to it,and I prefer that.

Peter F.
--
Blog and Zenfolio-powered galleries at:
http://www.peterfraileyphoto.com/
http://peterfraileyphoto.blogspot.com/

PeterNMIF's gear list:PeterNMIF's gear list
Fujifilm X-A1
TonyJuliano
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Re: Agreed, but
In reply to PeterNMIF, May 14, 2012

This can be true for some (doesn't seem tyo be the case in my particular situation), but please also note that ALL of the FN buttons, and also the REC button, can be mapped to this feature.

Dean Whitling
Contributing MemberPosts: 538
Like?
In reply to Dean Whitling, May 30, 2012

So I have my OMD and you can map the button this way. I have set up a "my set" with this setting and it works really well.

Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,734Gear list
Like?
Well then, put it on a DIFFERENT button
In reply to PeterNMIF, May 30, 2012

PeterNMIF wrote:

The Fn1 button is right where the typical AEL/AFL button is on many cameras. But it is difficult to press because of the rubber thumb rest. You need to bend you thumb and almost use a fingernail (or tip of your finger) to depress. As a button to use occasionally its okay but a bit spongy. But as a button to use all the time for focus it is rather unfriendly. It also has the problem (my opinion, it's a problem) of locking focus but then you need to click it again to unlock. With my GH2, but button refocuses each time I press it,and it has a nice click to it,and I prefer that.

So put something you use less on the FN1 button and put the focus lock on the FN2 or red "video" button, or even on the right or bottom button on the four way array on the back. This is the clear upside of all of the customization that's possible with Olympus cameras. They're complex, but if you can't get them to work just how you like, you must not be trying very hard...

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

AV Janus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,815Gear list
Like?
Re: Well then, put it on a DIFFERENT button
In reply to Ray Sachs, May 30, 2012

AF-L is one thing but AF-On is a different.
Can the OMD do AF-ON with one of the back buttons?

I think it can not, and is in fact to small to do it comfortably.
Maybe with a grip and one of its Fn button...
--
Rick Halle wrote:

" Keep in mind that tall buildings sway back and forth so they require faster shutter speeds."

AV Janus's gear list:AV Janus's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Oly500Enew
Senior MemberPosts: 1,004Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dean Whitling, May 30, 2012

Just an idea...may or may not suit your needs. Exposure on shutter, focus on touchscreen.
--
I'm not a professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night.

http://www.2112photography.net
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21868346@N00/

Oly500Enew's gear list:Oly500Enew's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
Like?
In reply to AV Janus, May 30, 2012

What do you mean by AF-on ?
I have configured all my cameras in the same way :

A) focus and exposure lock separated.
B) focus on the Fn button on the back of the camera usually
C) exposure lock with a half press of the shutter.

In order to focus I press the Fn button, then the focus is memorized, no need to keep your finger pressing that button. I like it that way, unless your distance change, no need to refocus/change focus.

The newest cameras have brought some improvement : one pressure on the left arrow and I can rotate a wheel to navigate through the different points, magnifier and you can adjust the size of the target making it diminish and thus more precise. Using the touch screen, things are even easier.

But really I don't know what you mean with AF-On ? Or do you mean changing from MF to AF ? I'm using the SCP to change between the different focus mode, but some use an FN button to call MF when they want.

AV Janus wrote:

AF-L is one thing but AF-On is a different.
Can the OMD do AF-ON with one of the back buttons?

I think it can not, and is in fact to small to do it comfortably.
Maybe with a grip and one of its Fn button...
--
Rick Halle wrote:

" Keep in mind that tall buildings sway back and forth so they require faster shutter speeds."

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Shawn67
Contributing MemberPosts: 748
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, May 31, 2012

Auto Focus Lock (AFL) is quite a bit different from Auto Focus ON.

With auto focus lock the camera still focuses when you half press the shutter. Pressing and holding AFL will prevent the camera from refocusing again when you half press the shutter. Some cameras can also be set to act as a toggle for AFL one press locks focus, another touch unlocks it. I find that to be a pain to use though.

The key point here is by default AF still occurs during the half press of the shutter release unless you override that with AFL.

AF-ON works differently. Now AF never occurs when you half press the shutter. The camera ONLY focuses when you press the AF-ON button. Once you release the button the camera stops focusing and does not refocus until you hit the AF-ON button again. Typically this is also used with shutter release priority (instead of focus priority) so when you hit the shutter the camera will fire the shutter immediately without confirming focus.

AF-ON really makes AF much more functional IMO. I typically only use one fixed focus point, put that on the target, hit AF-ON till focused and then recompose and hit the shutter when ready. If I'm shooting portraits I'll move the focus point up a 1/3 so it is roughly at the eye and then just hit AF-ON to refocus as needed. The difference is now I have complete control in deciding on when the camera is going to focus and also when the shutter is going to fire by dedicating those two functions to two different buttons. No half press and hold or press and hold AFL needed.

Shawn

Macx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,251Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shawn67, May 31, 2012

By that definition the OM-D does AF-ON and not AFL, when using the back button for focus.

Shawn67 wrote:

Auto Focus Lock (AFL) is quite a bit different from Auto Focus ON.

With auto focus lock the camera still focuses when you half press the shutter. Pressing and holding AFL will prevent the camera from refocusing again when you half press the shutter. Some cameras can also be set to act as a toggle for AFL one press locks focus, another touch unlocks it. I find that to be a pain to use though.

The key point here is by default AF still occurs during the half press of the shutter release unless you override that with AFL.

AF-ON works differently. Now AF never occurs when you half press the shutter. The camera ONLY focuses when you press the AF-ON button. Once you release the button the camera stops focusing and does not refocus until you hit the AF-ON button again. Typically this is also used with shutter release priority (instead of focus priority) so when you hit the shutter the camera will fire the shutter immediately without confirming focus.

AF-ON really makes AF much more functional IMO. I typically only use one fixed focus point, put that on the target, hit AF-ON till focused and then recompose and hit the shutter when ready. If I'm shooting portraits I'll move the focus point up a 1/3 so it is roughly at the eye and then just hit AF-ON to refocus as needed. The difference is now I have complete control in deciding on when the camera is going to focus and also when the shutter is going to fire by dedicating those two functions to two different buttons. No half press and hold or press and hold AFL needed.

Shawn

AV Janus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,815Gear list
Like?
In reply to Macx, May 31, 2012

That is cool.
So AF-L is AF-ON if you hold the button.
--
Rick Halle wrote:

AV Janus's gear list:AV Janus's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
Like?
In reply to AV Janus, May 31, 2012

When setting the camera you have to do two things :

1) affect the AFL/AEL function to a button (Fn1, Fn2 or Rec)
2) define the mode of that button for SAF, CAF and MF

I chose mode 3 for all of them : this put focus only on the Fn button and AEL on the half pression of the shutter release button. There is a little table describing all the possibilities in the manual.

This works like you want : the camera focus with one pressure of the Fn button, but not with the shutter button. Even better the camera keeps the focus untill you press the Fn button again to focus elsewhere. You don't need to keep your finger on the button.

There is a drawback however : it is not ideal if you want to use the face detection : unless you press the AF button the camera will not focus on the face. I think that I'll make a Myset with face detection on and focus with the shutter.

I have the E-P3 customized to wrk exactly like all my previous cameras (Contax G, Canon DSLRs). I'm still waiting for the OM-D to arrive, but I have checked in the manual that it will work like the E-P3 in this respect.

This setting is ideal when you have the AF on a single central point and work with the focus and reframe technique.

AV Janus wrote:

That is cool.
So AF-L is AF-ON if you hold the button.
--
Rick Halle wrote:

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Shawn67
Contributing MemberPosts: 748
Like?
In reply to Macx, May 31, 2012

Great, glad to hear it!

Shawn

Keyboard shortcuts: