I think we may see Panny's answer to the OM-D soon

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
I think we may see Panny's answer to the OM-D soon
May 14, 2012

and I don't think it will be the GH3.

Wonder if it will share a sensor with the OM-D?

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,151Gear list
Like?
Re: I think we may see Panny's answer to the OM-D soon
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 14, 2012

??? Why not GH3 ???
--
I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SLOtographer
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,886Gear list
Like?
I'm making the same bet

I could see Panny splitting the line so that GH is video, the G5 moves up to serious photographer level, the GX is the rangefinder version of the G, and the GF-variants are the consumer models. The market seems to have these segments, so the offerings ought to match.

2012 is turning out to be the year of M43.

-- hide signature --

SLOtographer

"If we limit our vision to the real world, we will forever be fighting on the minus side of things, working only too make our photographs equal to what we see out there, but no better." -- Galen Rowell

SLOtographer's gear list:SLOtographer's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
Brian Mosley
Forum ProPosts: 20,404Gear list
Like?
I'm not sure it will be an 'answer'...

Whatever Panasonic bring forward as their 'serious enthusiast' camera must surely have been in the works long before the E-M5 was announced. I don't think it will be an 'answer to the E-M5, it will stand on its own merits.

I hope it's good! By the time it's available to buy, Olympus may have the E-P4 to market and who knows, maybe even the higher spec O-MD we're told is coming...

Brian
--
Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Pablo 2
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Re: I'm making the same bet
In reply to SLOtographer, May 14, 2012

No matter what they put inside it, once it doesn't have IBIS, it just won't make no sense when compared to Oly body.

Louis_Dobson
Like?
In reply to Pablo 2, May 14, 2012

I'm OK with OIS.

But I like my OM-D. I find it appealing in a way that my GH2 is not, and I shan't be changing again.

Pablo 2 wrote:

No matter what they put inside it, once it doesn't have IBIS, it just won't make no sense when compared to Oly body.

Agitprop
Regular MemberPosts: 314
Like?
Next Panasonic will have Oly's OMD Sensor!

Hahahaha

Just as ridiculous as certain panny heads here who keep flogging the "Panasonic sensor in OMD" rumors.

For those lacking a sense of irony, it's similar to brassy, except grey instead of yellow.

Louis_Dobson
Like?
Re: Next Panasonic will have Oly's OMD Sensor!
In reply to Agitprop, May 14, 2012

Nobody knows where the sensor is from, but my best bet remains it is a Panasonic.

Agitprop wrote:

Hahahaha

Just as ridiculous as certain panny heads here who keep flogging the "Panasonic sensor in OMD" rumors.

For those lacking a sense of irony, it's similar to brassy, except grey instead of yellow.

highwave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,037Gear list
Like?

Pablo 2 wrote:

exactly

unless Panasonic answers to this, they will fall behind. Which is good. I want competition to force hardheaded managers into a corner and keep on squeezing them until they yield or get squashed.

OIS is not the answer. It's not available in all lenses and it makes the lenses bulkier.

highwave's gear list:highwave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
Agitprop
Regular MemberPosts: 314
Like?

Sure, Louis, that is a good bet, but the fact remains - its all conjecture at this time.

Brian Mosley
Forum ProPosts: 20,404Gear list
Like?
Who knows, who cares...

I just want to see the progress continue. The 4/3rds sensor is finally giving the performance we need.

Cheers

Brian
--
Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Setter Dog
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,514
Like?

Sold my GH2, ordered the E-M5.

Then, after shooting a day with my G2, I cancelled the E-M5. It was being "processed for shipment" and the customer rep tempted me with an offer of two day shipping at no charge. I passed.

I can see why some prefer Olympus and some prefer Panasonic. Maybe we just like to dance with "who brung us". Personally, I like an LCD that folds away completely and as many direct controls as I can get. So, I will wait for the GH2, or whatever Louis is describing, but won't wait forever. My main wish is for better burst and I feel certain the new Pany will have that.

bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,218Gear list
Like?
In reply to highwave, May 14, 2012

highwave wrote:

OIS is not the answer. It's not available in all lenses and it makes the lenses bulkier.

Not available in all lenses: true.

Makes lenses bulkier: hard to argue when the best OIS that I've seen yet is in the smallest micro 4/3 zoom, the (almost pancake) 14-42 x. Its OIS is notably more effective than that of the Panny 14-45mm in my experience. And it's smaller than any of the Oly kit zooms that lack OIS.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +10 more
Robert Deutsch
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,995Gear list
Like?
Leapfrog over OM-D sensor

That's what Panasonic needs, and that's what I think they'll deliver. It would not be enough to just match the OM-D sensor. With Canon about to enter the mirrorless market, the competition is going to heat up. In the meanwhile, I'm happy with the GX1.

These are exciting times in the m4/3 world!

Bob

Robert Deutsch's gear list:Robert Deutsch's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,568Gear list
Like?

Louis_Dobson wrote:

I think the current lineup is not going to have a divide like this. I will bet that the G5 will have the OM-D sensor (and it also looks like they used the same new sensor technologies to extract better performance from the old 12MP sensor as revised in the GF5 they just announced...). However, I still think their flagship will be the GH3, and that will have a new multi-aspect sensor that has many of the technological advances of the OMD sensor also incorporated.

The question I have, is will they beef up the stills photography perfomance of the GH3 to match the stellar video? I am betting they are going to try.

If they divide up the stills and video cameras, I would bet they would either do it in the next generation after the GH3, and at that point announce a high end primarily stills camera with basic video capabilites but with IBIS. I just don't happen to think that that is in the works this year.

You have to think that Panasonic is seeing that the market for upscale stills cameras is significant, and they should tap into that market...however I think that is a realization that has come this year, and we won't see the results from it until next year at the very earliest......For now, I expect the GH3 to be a higher quality update of the GH2.

-J

amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,396
Like?
Panny makes appliances...
In reply to Robert Deutsch, May 14, 2012

Robert Deutsch wrote:

That's what Panasonic needs, and that's what I think they'll deliver. It would not be enough to just match the OM-D sensor. With Canon about to enter the mirrorless market, the competition is going to heat up. In the meanwhile, I'm happy with the GX1.

These are exciting times in the m4/3 world!

Still photography is just an acquired taste. They might be much more worried for their failure in TV screens.

Am.
--
Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/amalric

richarddd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,506Gear list
Like?

What's the basis for this belief? Gut instinct or anything more concrete?

Louis_Dobson wrote:

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Willing
Contributing MemberPosts: 621Gear list
Like?

Pablo 2 wrote:

That means you should call Nikon or Canon and telling them that it is not acceptable not to have IBIS for the 5DMKIII and the D800 in today's market??!!

Willing's gear list:Willing's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
phototransformations
Senior MemberPosts: 2,601Gear list
Like?
In reply to highwave, May 14, 2012

Although in general I'd prefer IBIS, it doesn't seem essential or inevitable. Nikon and Canon have yet to introduce it in their FF and APS bodies. OIS sells their lenses to Panasonic owners, and until that's no longer the case it's hard to see them adding IBIS.

highwave wrote:

Pablo 2 wrote:

exactly

unless Panasonic answers to this, they will fall behind. Which is good. I want competition to force hardheaded managers into a corner and keep on squeezing them until they yield or get squashed.

phototransformations's gear list:phototransformations's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +22 more
Knight Palm
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,723Gear list
Like?
With the two fixed aperture bright zooms imminent...

and remembering that also Olympus introduced a weather resistant lens just before the camera body, I think you've got a point.

However, I can imagine fixed aperture zooms are necessity for video, so my guess is a GH3 or even an update to Panasonic's AG-AF100.

How diversified are Panasonic going to bee in their MFT portfolio, to me it's not transparent, and my crystal ball doesn't tell me what directions they´re moving.

Knight Palm's gear list:Knight Palm's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-400 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads