What 300mm 2.8 lenses play well with 2x teleconverters?

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions
JTAnFIA
Contributing MemberPosts: 625
Like?
What 300mm 2.8 lenses play well with 2x teleconverters?
May 14, 2012

Tokina and Tamron both have discontinued models. Sigma and Canon have both discontinued and current lenses that could do 300mm 2.8. I can't afford the newest crop of Canons. I tried a used Sigma 120-300mm 2.8 EX HSM (non DG) with my 2x II extender but it was very disappointing at 600mm. On a tripod in a controlled environment it still couldn't begin to approach the IQ of my 200mm 2.8L and 2x II extender.
What has your experience been and with what lenses/teleconverters? Thanks!
--
Fish are evil

Powerdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,876Gear list
Like?
Re: What 300mm 2.8 lenses play well with 2x teleconverters?
In reply to JTAnFIA, May 14, 2012

My canon 300 2,8 LIS work well wit the TC 2 VII from canon.

But the AF is much slower, and somewhat a bit more imprecise. That's why I prefer the TC 1;4, because I get much more keeper.
--
It's all about photography

Powerdoc's gear list:Powerdoc's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-P1 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Steve Balcombe
Forum ProPosts: 10,565
Like?

JTAnFIA wrote:

Tokina and Tamron both have discontinued models. Sigma and Canon have both discontinued and current lenses that could do 300mm 2.8. I can't afford the newest crop of Canons. I tried a used Sigma 120-300mm 2.8 EX HSM (non DG) with my 2x II extender but it was very disappointing at 600mm. On a tripod in a controlled environment it still couldn't begin to approach the IQ of my 200mm 2.8L and 2x II extender.

I don't have this lens myself but the word is that Sigma's latest 120-300/2.8 OS is in a different class and does work well with TCs. I've seen some very impressive shots posted here.

JTAnFIA
Like?
In reply to Steve Balcombe, May 14, 2012

I've heard good things about it as well. I'd love to hear which 2x teleconverters people are having the best success with on it.
--
Fish are evil

Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,713Gear list
Like?
Non IS 300 f2.8L is excellent with 2x

The Canon 2x and 300 f2.8L (non IS) are an excellent combo - great IQ

Makes a very compact and flexible shooting solution - pricing is good on the older non IS lenses - IQ is still superb, as is AF speed.

Non IS models are no longer serviced by Canon CPS - but can be serviced by authorized Canon independent service centers.

Hard to beat the all Canon solution in this case.
--
http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
mattr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,443
Like?

JTAnFIA wrote:

I've heard good things about it as well. I'd love to hear which 2x teleconverters people are having the best success with on it.

Doesn't look very good here:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=803&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=7&API=2&LensComp=739&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=2&APIComp=0

JTAnFIA
Like?
Re: Non IS 300 f2.8L is excellent with 2x
In reply to Chris Dodkin, May 14, 2012

Its reassuring to hear there is still an option for servicing. I'd hate to spend that much on a lens I couldn't get fixed.
--
Fish are evil

rebel99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,879
Like?

i received my canon 300 f2.8 mk2/tc 2.0 mk2 last week and the iq is stellar i have taken a few bird shots with that combo on my 1dmk4 and i am very happy with result. i'll post a few shots when i figure out how to link my zenfolio jpegs to dpreview. happy zooming.

cheerz.

JTAnFIA wrote:

What has your experience been and with what lenses/teleconverters? Thanks!
--
Fish are evil

GtoJon
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,397Gear list
Like?
In reply to JTAnFIA, May 15, 2012

I use the Canon EF2x II, 1.4x II & Tamron Pro 1.4x with my 120-300mm OS lens .... they all work perfect!!! Love it ..... I never use the lens without a converter attached & most of the time the 2xII converter on my 7D

Cheers
--
http://www.JonSmithers.com GtoJon -
Taken any photographs lately?

GtoJon's gear list:GtoJon's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Canon Extender EF 2x II +7 more
Amateur Sony Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 5,303Gear list
Like?
I am happy with my Sigma 120-300 OS HSM and Sigma 2x TC
In reply to JTAnFIA, May 15, 2012

I have the new Sigma 120-300 OS with matching Sigma 1.4x and 2.0x TCs. I don't use 2x TC a lot due to lost of light but when I did use it I got acceptable result. At f5.6 (widest aperture) image is little soft only if you want fine details, once you stop down to f8 you do get good sharpness, AF is still fast enough (at least good enough on my 7D). In my opinion the new Sigma 120-300 OS is a viable alternative to the obvious excellent but prohibitively expensive Canon 300/2.8 MK II prime, and it's a zoom!

Some samples (sorry for the high ISO noise):

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
Steve Balcombe
Like?
In reply to rebel99, May 15, 2012

rebel99 wrote:

i received my canon 300 f2.8 mk2/tc 2.0 mk2 last week and the iq is stellar i have taken a few bird shots with that combo on my 1dmk4 and i am very happy with result. i'll post a few shots when i figure out how to link my zenfolio jpegs to dpreview. happy zooming.

Could I ask why you chose the MkII Extender? The MkIII is more expensive but the difference is small compared to the total 'investment'.

I'm thinking of going for the 300/2.8 plus Extenders as a more portable alternative to a longer big white, so any input is eagerly sought!

GtoJon
Like?
In reply to Steve Balcombe, May 15, 2012

2x III is not staclable with other canon converters, II is

Cheers
--

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Canon Extender EF 2x II +7 more
JTAnFIA
Like?
Re: I am happy with my Sigma 120-300 OS HSM and Sigma 2x TC
In reply to Amateur Sony Shooter, May 15, 2012

Thank you for including the photographs. The detail at 6.3 doesn't look bad at all
--
Fish are evil

rebel99
Like?

my apology, it is a canon tc 2.0x mkIII and it is visibly much much better than mkII i also have the canon tc 1.4x mkIII, which works very well with my 400 f5.6 on my 1dmk4, there's no noticeable degradation in IQ and it autofocuses very fast on 1dmk4.

cheerz.

Steve Balcombe wrote:

rebel99 wrote:

Could I ask why you chose the MkII Extender? The MkIII is more expensive but the difference is small compared to the total 'investment'.

I'm thinking of going for the 300/2.8 plus Extenders as a more portable alternative to a longer big white, so any input is eagerly sought!

Steve Balcombe
Like?

Ah - thanks, that does make more sense when spending that much on a lens!

Good point made by GtoJon though (thanks Jon).

rebel99 wrote:

my apology, it is a canon tc 2.0x mkIII and it is visibly much much better than mkII i also have the canon tc 1.4x mkIII, which works very well with my 400 f5.6 on my 1dmk4, there's no noticeable degradation in IQ and it autofocuses very fast on 1dmk4.

cheerz.

Steve Balcombe wrote:

rebel99 wrote:

rebel99
Like?

my impression of the new 300mm f2.8 mkIII is that it is light weight as my 400mm f5.6, which is ergonomically very well made. the optics and construction seems like a stellar piece of engineering, something that attracts the eyes for a while, just to look at and admire it performance is excellent, the amount of contrast, detail, and shrpness is awsome, and i still haven't explored the limitations of this lens. so far, i have attached the tc 2.0x mkIII to it and haven't taken any shots by itself (at 300mm). yes, it is a pricy lens but if you can afford it, go for it, it won't disappoint i also recommand getting both canon tc 1.4/2.0 mkIII with this lens, which will give you much flexibility and range. now, i am impatiently waiting for the 600 f4 mkII to show up on the shelves happy zooming.

cheerz.

Steve Balcombe
Like?

Thank you!

rebel99 wrote:

my impression of the new 300mm f2.8 mkIII is that it is light weight as my 400mm f5.6, which is ergonomically very well made. the optics and construction seems like a stellar piece of engineering, something that attracts the eyes for a while, just to look at and admire it performance is excellent, the amount of contrast, detail, and shrpness is awsome, and i still haven't explored the limitations of this lens. so far, i have attached the tc 2.0x mkIII to it and haven't taken any shots by itself (at 300mm). yes, it is a pricy lens but if you can afford it, go for it, it won't disappoint i also recommand getting both canon tc 1.4/2.0 mkIII with this lens, which will give you much flexibility and range. now, i am impatiently waiting for the 600 f4 mkII to show up on the shelves happy zooming.

cheerz.

GtoJon
Like?

Nobody in real world here has given any examples that prove the III is that much better if at all! The only benefit might be with the expensive vII super tele lenses .... maybe
Cheers

BIF
7D, Sigma 120-300mm OS, 2xII, @600mm, f6.3, 1/640s, ISO 640 handheld

-- hide signature --

mattr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,443
Like?
In reply to GtoJon, May 15, 2012

This is not very sharp, as expected when you use the zoom with a 2x TC on a 7D. Do you really think the 2x TC leads to much additional detail in shots like this? Try to downsample your image by a factor of 2 followed by 2-fold upsampling. It will be hard to detect any loss of detail in the resampled shot, meaning that your 2x TC combo probably barely resolves more than the lens alone on the 7D.

GtoJon wrote:

BIF

GtoJon
Like?
In reply to mattr, May 15, 2012

Technically you may be correct, honestly you are not .... If this was on a tripod of a stationary subject it would be a lot sharper. But when your swinging around 600mm almost wide open with bif, it's going to have some softness. Also countless people say your supposed to judge sharpness at 50%. This image was raw & no sharpening in CS5 (down to 0), but a little fill to brighten against the sky. Differences in real world do promote the use of 2x converters .... when I started using converters almost 10 years ago, people here on DP said I wouldn't even recognize what I was shooting. Using converters does take some practice & patience. I have shot distant subjects many times without a converter & the converter always does better for me. Some people don't know how to use converters Now if I would have had a better angle of light & not so much shadow & full sun, this would have been much better.

Cheers

mattr wrote:

This is not very sharp, as expected when you use the zoom with a 2x TC on a 7D. Do you really think the 2x TC leads to much additional detail in shots like this? Try to downsample your image by a factor of 2 followed by 2-fold upsampling. It will be hard to detect any loss of detail in the resampled shot, meaning that your 2x TC combo probably barely resolves more than the lens alone on the 7D.

GtoJon wrote:

BIF

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads