And you wonder why I don't post here much anymore

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,147Gear list
Like?
And you wonder why I don't post here much anymore
May 14, 2012

??????

hwchiu
Regular MemberPosts: 202
Like?
because...........
In reply to Joel Stern, May 14, 2012

you are too busy taking photographs........

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,147Gear list
Like?
Re: because...........
In reply to hwchiu, May 14, 2012

hwchiu wrote:

you are too busy taking photographs........

The truth is with the exception of 3 or 4 friends nobody has any comments....so why bother anymore. Maybe the forum is just a quiet one but this seems even more stange than usual.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BG_CX3_DPREVIEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,741Gear list
Like?
Re: because...........
In reply to Joel Stern, May 14, 2012

Joel,

agree,

for some reason CnC seems to dry up here, endless discussions seem to take over.

Too bad, i still like it, but this lack of any response is driving me towards a blog, not that i expect any response over there, but it would allow me to better organize into themes.

Ricohforum seems to steadily grow, but its not mature enough.

I will not leave the ship, and will continue to post pics, no matter what

Sold my CX3 , did not use it for a month, so i already had to find some of the featuers myself, too bad, macro and HiBxW was better than the S10. The S10 is too sharp for HiBxW. Maybe i' try to find a P10.

 BG_CX3_DPREVIEW's gear list:BG_CX3_DPREVIEW's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P72 Ricoh CX6 HTC Windows Phone 8X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
you-ve-got-mail
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?
Re: because...........
In reply to BG_CX3_DPREVIEW, May 14, 2012

you might find some images (p10) in my gallery here
was up to now my only gxr module and i liked it most of the time
sometimes write speed to chip was a bit slow
sometimes i'd liked to have more ISO

so i got myself the m mount
and a 95mb/sec chip card

both problems solved ...
only thing i miss now is a APSC superzoom

regards,
Ulrich

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW wrote:

Joel,

agree,

for some reason CnC seems to dry up here, endless discussions seem to take over.

Too bad, i still like it, but this lack of any response is driving me towards a blog, not that i expect any response over there, but it would allow me to better organize into themes.

Ricohforum seems to steadily grow, but its not mature enough.

I will not leave the ship, and will continue to post pics, no matter what

Sold my CX3 , did not use it for a month, so i already had to find some of the featuers myself, too bad, macro and HiBxW was better than the S10. The S10 is too sharp for HiBxW. Maybe i' try to find a P10.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Darrell Spreen
Forum ProPosts: 10,054
Like?
Re: because...........
In reply to Joel Stern, May 14, 2012

Joel Stern wrote:

The truth is with the exception of 3 or 4 friends nobody has any comments....so why bother anymore.

I would be posting more and commenting more, but I look for threads where people are more committed to working with one model camera/lens and showing what they can do with it (I find I learn more from that type of post) and I don't see that anymore. Everyone seems to be switching cameras right now. I don't even know what camera(s) you are using these days.

Fact is, I see just as many bothersome IQ characteristics in most of the new cameras as I see improvements -- maybe I'm just becoming immune to the "latest & greatest".

-- hide signature --

Darrell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bertalan
Regular MemberPosts: 467
Like?
Re: because...........
In reply to you-ve-got-mail, May 14, 2012
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
you-ve-got-mail
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?
Re: because...........
In reply to Darrell Spreen, May 14, 2012

hi joel,

its as always ...

i have seen so many magnificent pictures shot with
outdated,old cameras. the camera is just a tool which
helps sometimes. but does not replace the eye and the
imagination of the person behind.

i personally like the grx and would not swap it as i am
becoming used to it after a long time of studying its
behaviour its strength and weaknesses.

now i am confident with it and so i keep it
even if there are a lot of new and even better cameras around

regards,
ulrich

Darrell Spreen wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

The truth is with the exception of 3 or 4 friends nobody has any comments....so why bother anymore.

I would be posting more and commenting more, but I look for threads where people are more committed to working with one model camera/lens and showing what they can do with it (I find I learn more from that type of post) and I don't see that anymore. Everyone seems to be switching cameras right now. I don't even know what camera(s) you are using these days.

Fact is, I see just as many bothersome IQ characteristics in most of the new cameras as I see improvements -- maybe I'm just becoming immune to the "latest & greatest".

-- hide signature --

Darrell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Andrewteee
Senior MemberPosts: 2,342Gear list
Like?
Re: because...........
In reply to Joel Stern, May 14, 2012

Joel, I don't post much anymore, just too busy or nothing interesting to say. But I do spend more time on serious compacts.com.

 Andrewteee's gear list:Andrewteee's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Pentax K-3 HD Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rube39
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,501Gear list
Like?
Re: because...........
In reply to Andrewteee, May 14, 2012

Joel,

Pix don't seem to get much traction on the other DPR forums either. But at least here, people are polite.
--
Rube
http://www.flickr.com/photos/71881102@N00/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 17,801
Like?
This is why ...
In reply to Joel Stern, May 14, 2012

Joel Stern wrote:

hwchiu wrote:

you are too busy taking photographs........

The truth is with the exception of 3 or 4 friends nobody has any comments....so why bother anymore. Maybe the forum is just a quiet one but this seems even more stange than usual.

I agree Joel,

Lots of people ask for photographs to be posted but few comment on them.

When they receive comments they are usally "nice pic" when they are not liked they are ignored. So it is not a "photo exhibition" site even though you can do this.

In truth when there is no new fantasy product to speculate about and discuss, or no new actual product release it all boils down to a few query/answer sessions, some desultory image posting and an argument or two about other products usually not being made by Ricoh.

Even the lens talk is more about a quite limited number German or Japanese sourced lenses that are used.

Occasionally there is something new and we get a bit of debate, but controversial debate no matter how civilly carried out is not well regarded. However if we all agree on everything precisely it gets kid of boring.

Soometimes I drop a clanger in to stir the pot, but we need a few more outrageous posters to get the juices flowing. Or Ricoh could simply announce a few new products ...

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zigorus
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?
Re: And you wonder why I don't post here much anymore
In reply to Joel Stern, May 14, 2012

there isn't much to chat about. Ricoh makes cameras that work well. use them, enjoy them, show the photos if you want to.

don't expect commentary and what commentary is made will make you happy.

z

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 17,801
Like?
The plateau, but still some rolling hills ahead
In reply to Darrell Spreen, May 14, 2012

Darrell Spreen wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

The truth is with the exception of 3 or 4 friends nobody has any comments....so why bother anymore.

I would be posting more and commenting more, but I look for threads where people are more committed to working with one model camera/lens and showing what they can do with it (I find I learn more from that type of post) and I don't see that anymore. Everyone seems to be switching cameras right now. I don't even know what camera(s) you are using these days.

Fact is, I see just as many bothersome IQ characteristics in most of the new cameras as I see improvements -- maybe I'm just becoming immune to the "latest & greatest".

Might come back to my theme that camera development is on a plateau.

You don't hear much about compact cameras with ever increasing megapixels theses days. You don't hear about ever increasing megazoom bridge cameras. The dslr cameras are seemingly getting more megapixels and better high ISO, but that too must reach the practical limit.

Aps-c is probably the sensor size of the future being small enough to give reasonably small camera bodies and big enough to give increasingly better imaging.

There are things to improve and digital cameras will continue to improve but "annual obsolescence" is turning into "I think I might keep mine for a good few years".

Lasting cameras are the best investment and Ricoh is well placed to increase it's market by the ripple out effect. Those camera manufacturers who rely on huge market share have more of a problem as people start to keep their cameras for longer. Nevertheless there are a lot of people in lower-income economies whose incomes now predicate buying a digital camera or even an entry level dslr. Canon has obviously worked this out from what I have just seen.

Therefore the market limit has not reached saturation point but perhaps in some countries where toddlers are running around with Dad's once pride and joy there is s limit to just how many imaging devices can be sold.

Therefore you can't judge the world market for cameras by what is happening in your own backyard. However as I observe thing most people have the same idea of what they want from a camera and it has hardly changed from Box Brownie days - take some pictures at an event, share them around and relive the moments vicariously and then forget them. Point'n'shoot is the new Box Brownie and they have been good enough to do this for some time. 10 a penny at your local electronic goods store. And all you need do is press the shutter the camera does the rest.

So the professional photographer is called in for "serious images" as ever was before. And he needs a great big dslr to show the he has spent a truckload of money on his kit.

But hey! the professional moved to dslr years ago and a squeaky number of megapixel pro-level dslr was accepted just then, so how much better does anyone really need?

Surely it is only the sheer cost of his equipment that keeps a professional photographer "elite"? Consider that many good quality and semi-pro cameras today can out shoot and out-resolve the pro-dslr kit that was essential just a few years ago.

So yes, we are on some sort of plateau of digital camera development.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,147Gear list
Like?
Bart Re: because...........
In reply to BG_CX3_DPREVIEW, May 15, 2012

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW wrote:

Joel,

agree,

for some reason CnC seems to dry up here, endless discussions seem to take over.

Too bad, i still like it, but this lack of any response is driving me towards a blog, not that i expect any response over there, but it would allow me to better organize into themes.

Ricohforum seems to steadily grow, but its not mature enough.

I will not leave the ship, and will continue to post pics, no matter what

Sold my CX3 , did not use it for a month, so i already had to find some of the featuers myself, too bad, macro and HiBxW was better than the S10. The S10 is too sharp for HiBxW. Maybe i' try to find a P10.

Bart, you are always one I can count on. I am not sure what it is, but if you put a blod together, and I really need to start to visit Gerd's more, I will visit it and even comment. Thanks for looking. J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,147Gear list
Like?
Andrew Re: because...........
In reply to Andrewteee, May 15, 2012

Andrewteee wrote:

Joel, I don't post much anymore, just too busy or nothing interesting to say. But I do spend more time on serious compacts.com.

Andrew, I understand

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,147Gear list
Like?
Rube Re: because...........
In reply to rube39, May 15, 2012

rube39 wrote:

Joel,

Pix don't seem to get much traction on the other DPR forums either. But at least here, people are polite.
--
Rube
http://www.flickr.com/photos/71881102@N00/

Rube, that might be the answer.....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,147Gear list
Like?
Re: This is why ...
In reply to Tom Caldwell, May 15, 2012

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

hwchiu wrote:

you are too busy taking photographs........

The truth is with the exception of 3 or 4 friends nobody has any comments....so why bother anymore. Maybe the forum is just a quiet one but this seems even more stange than usual.

I agree Joel,

Lots of people ask for photographs to be posted but few comment on them.

When they receive comments they are usally "nice pic" when they are not liked they are ignored. So it is not a "photo exhibition" site even though you can do this.

In truth when there is no new fantasy product to speculate about and discuss, or no new actual product release it all boils down to a few query/answer sessions, some desultory image posting and an argument or two about other products usually not being made by Ricoh.

Even the lens talk is more about a quite limited number German or Japanese sourced lenses that are used.

Occasionally there is something new and we get a bit of debate, but controversial debate no matter how civilly carried out is not well regarded. However if we all agree on everything precisely it gets kid of boring.

Soometimes I drop a clanger in to stir the pot, but we need a few more outrageous posters to get the juices flowing. Or Ricoh could simply announce a few new products ...

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

The no comments makes me nuts, makes me feel like my pics must be terrible. But if I like something I post it. With pride I posted some pics of my daughters graduation, Bart let me know he has seen them. He did not comment on their technical merits as I was not expecting that, but it was nice to see that for him I am a living and breathing person. Maybe I am just cranky knowing I will have to undergo a second, more aggressive back surgery, maybe I am just cranky and maybe I am just frustrated, I do not know.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,147Gear list
Like?
Re: And you wonder why I don't post here much anymore
In reply to zigorus, May 15, 2012

zigorus wrote:

there isn't much to chat about. Ricoh makes cameras that work well. use them, enjoy them, show the photos if you want to.

don't expect commentary and what commentary is made will make you happy.

z

OK, maybe this is it....but when I post something I do get a few comments, how does it feel to post a pic or a comment and have no replies. This forum needs to come to life, I hope it does, it is not all about the M module, so did Video kill the Radio, or did the M kill the Ricoh forum.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Archiver
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,233
Like?
Re: And you wonder why I don't post here much anymore
In reply to Joel Stern, May 15, 2012

If you think the Ricoh forum is slow, you should drop by the Casio forum some time. In about 2005 that forum really flew along with a reasonably sized group of dedicated posters. Guys like Bart Hickman were creating presets for others to use and there was even a programmer or two who wrote their own preset-making programs.

A lot of us had the Z750 and/or the Z850 which were packed with interesting features and offered surprisingly good image quality. Now the front page of the forum has threads that are six months old!

I suspect that there are a few reasons why the Casio forum turned into a ghost town. One is that many of the posters bought bigger / better cameras, with all the attendant attractions. Bart Hickman bought himself a Fuji F30 and never looked back. Another guy got himself a Pentax DSLR; I think he now shoots a Sony NEX. I got a Canon 30D and that lead to crazy gear buying. Another reason is that the Z750 and Z850 were the last of Casio's well-specced cameras. Image quality and features went downhill after that, so there were less people interested in Casio.

Fortunately, Ricoh is enough of a niche for it to be different. The GXR is typically not the camera of someone who will 'trade up' to a DSLR, it's often the camera that people use when they don't want to carry a DSLR. I suspect that we get more DSLR refugees here than we think. The GRD cameras will continue to gain their followers or upgraders due to the fantastic shooting experience and image quality they produce.
--
Archiver - Loving Every Image Captured Always
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archiver/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RunStrom
Regular MemberPosts: 102Gear list
Like?
Lack of Posts but not lack of Ricoh users.
In reply to hwchiu, May 15, 2012

I find it refreshing looking at Ricoh posts even though my trusty GX-100 does not feature much. You can talk about Canons, Nikons, Sonys etc. BUT the Ricoh is a joy to shoot with - period

 RunStrom's gear list:RunStrom's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon D3100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads