So when did f/2.8 become a slow lens (THREAD 2)

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,945Gear list
Like?
So when did f/2.8 become a slow lens (THREAD 2)
May 14, 2012

Just continuing the discussion started by Karl for the "slowness" of f/2.8 lenses (all relative to lens type and purpose, of course).

Keep chatting away.

http://matthewdurrphotography.wordpress.com

 El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
RussellInCincinnati
Senior MemberPosts: 3,182
Like?
well we'd better link to part 1 of this thread then
In reply to El Matadurr, May 14, 2012
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vaughn T.Winfree
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,978Gear list
Like?
Re: well we'd better link to part 1 of this thread then
In reply to RussellInCincinnati, May 14, 2012

Yup, I had no idea what monster I created.. The Mogwai that turned into a Gremlin..

For the record, I love primes and their relative size.. No matter the speed of the lenses, I normally stop them down most of the time anyway except during dark
night walks.

RussellInCincinnati wrote:

Thread began here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=41460140

-- hide signature --

Vaughn T. Winfree

'Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening.
Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's
heaven on earth.' --Mark Twain

'See what the camera see's. Let the lens interpret what can be. Capture a moment in time telling a story.'--Vaughn T. Winfree

 Vaughn T.Winfree's gear list:Vaughn T.Winfree's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S100 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,945Gear list
Like?
Re: well we'd better link to part 1 of this thread then
In reply to Vaughn T.Winfree, May 14, 2012

Vaughn T.Winfree wrote:

Yup, I had no idea what monster I created.. The Mogwai that turned into a Gremlin..

For the record, I love primes and their relative size.. No matter the speed of the lenses, I normally stop them down most of the time anyway except during dark
night walks.

Whoops, sorry Vaughn, I for some reason thought Karl was the one that started it. I try to never stop my lenses down past f/4 actually (except for special needs), just a personal mission so the pictures it takes never look like they were taken with a "slow" lens. If that makes any sense.

http://matthewdurrphotography.wordpress.com

 El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
probert500
Contributing MemberPosts: 953Gear list
Like?
Re: well we'd better link to part 1 of this thread then
In reply to El Matadurr, May 14, 2012

El Matadurr wrote:

Vaughn T.Winfree wrote:

Yup, I had no idea what monster I created.. The Mogwai that turned into a Gremlin..

For the record, I love primes and their relative size.. No matter the speed of the lenses, I normally stop them down most of the time anyway except during dark
night walks.

Whoops, sorry Vaughn, I for some reason thought Karl was the one that started it. I try to never stop my lenses down past f/4 actually (except for special needs), just a personal mission so the pictures it takes never look like they were taken with a "slow" lens. If that makes any sense.

http://matthewdurrphotography.wordpress.com

I guess I don't understand this thought process.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 8,251Gear list
Like?
Re: So when did f/2.8 become a slow lens (THREAD 2)
In reply to El Matadurr, May 14, 2012

really?

the first thread was silly and now you start a second?????

F/2.8 is what it is, some will consider it fast others will not either way who cares?

Buy what works for you

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
And a spare black 18-55

 edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RussellInCincinnati
Senior MemberPosts: 3,182
Like?
like probert, what's your logic of "always wider than F4"?
In reply to El Matadurr, May 14, 2012

Elmatadurr, what is the logic of always taking pictures at wider apertures than F4 or whatever? You never want a picture taken at, say, F22 as here, where everything is clear?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,945Gear list
Like?
Re: like probert, what's your logic of "always wider than F4"?
In reply to RussellInCincinnati, May 14, 2012

RussellInCincinnati wrote:

Elmatadurr, what is the logic of always taking pictures at wider apertures than F4 or whatever? You never want a picture taken at, say, F22 as here, where everything is clear?

I didn't clarify that very well. For most of my photos that I work on, I love getting the subject separation and shallow depth of field that wider apertures allow for. That's just a personal ambition.

For the pictures that need it (people staggered like in your picture, landscapes, etc.), then of course, I would heavily stop down. Sorry for the confusion.

http://matthewdurrphotography.wordpress.com

 El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eths
Contributing MemberPosts: 766Gear list
Like?
Re: So when did f/2.8 become a slow lens (THREAD 2)
In reply to El Matadurr, May 14, 2012

As if one thread was not enough...

 eths's gear list:eths's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eths
Contributing MemberPosts: 766Gear list
Like?
Re: well we'd better link to part 1 of this thread then
In reply to El Matadurr, May 14, 2012

If the subject and the picture in my mind allow it, I will try close down 2 to 3 stops, which is where the "sweet spot" for most lenses is. The problem is, a lot of the time I need either more or less light, and/or more or less DOF, so I end up using whatever looks good and decide on a case by case basis.

With so called fast lenses, one has more flexibility with shallow DOF, which for me is often, but not always, an important aspect in the intended Gestalt.

When choosing a lens: If two lenses are otherwise, more or less, equal, then I would tend to go with the one with the larger maximum aperture. If the larger aperture causes significant deterioration of other aspects or great expense, then I would probably end up buying the slower lens. Like so many decisions, this requires making compromises and knowing what you want to achieve.

 eths's gear list:eths's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John Bean (UK)
Forum ProPosts: 18,034
Like?
Re: So when did f/2.8 become a slow lens (THREAD 2)
In reply to eths, May 14, 2012

eths wrote:

As if one thread was not enough...

Indeed. And it sounds like even Vaughn (the original OP) had enough of it.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [BST (GMT+1)]

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,900Gear list
Like?
Re: like probert, what's your logic of "always wider than F4"?
In reply to El Matadurr, May 14, 2012

El Matadurr wrote:

I didn't clarify that very well. For most of my photos that I work on, I love getting the subject separation and shallow depth of field that wider apertures allow for. That's just a personal ambition.

For the pictures that need it (people staggered like in your picture, landscapes, etc.), then of course, I would heavily stop down. Sorry for the confusion.

I share your same subject separation preference for many of my shots.

 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads