On transformation of space at f/1

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions
Irakly Shanidze
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,068Gear list
Like?
On transformation of space at f/1
May 14, 2012

I am showing this picture for those who does not believe that Noctilux is invaluable for environmental people photography and things of that nature. Shot at f/1 it shows that the lens provided enough DOF to get everything necessary in focus.

-- hide signature --
 Irakly Shanidze's gear list:Irakly Shanidze's gear list
Leica M9
Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,560
Like?
Re: On transformation of space at f/1
In reply to Irakly Shanidze, May 14, 2012

I love it. I particularly like how you have mixed up the colours from the light sources and the objects/people.

How far away were you to have such a DOF?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jamesfrmphilly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,591Gear list
Like?
why is that person on top of the furniture? nt

no txt

jamesfrmphilly's gear list:jamesfrmphilly's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III
Jack D.
Senior MemberPosts: 2,061Gear list
Like?
In reply to Daedalus2000, May 14, 2012

Because Irakly knew that somebody will ask this stupid question.

j

HansAlbert
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,165
Like?
some thoughts

No time now for a detailed analysis, but glad that Noctilux, the light for the night, puts you back on the right track.

To be more precise, this is – for me, and at first sight – an anaylsis of the Frog Prince, a story of initiation. The golden ball of the fairy tale has become the flower vase, a prudent substitution, because it is able to symbolically reflect the world of the maiden and, of course, her genitals, especially when seen together with the stick as a phallus symbol. She raises the curtain, i.e. she is on the point of disclosing the secret of sexuality and showing herself to the world to have reached womanhood. Meanwhile the real or fancied frog prince is waiting for her in her bed.

intruder61
Senior MemberPosts: 2,713Gear list
Like?
Re: some thoughts
In reply to HansAlbert, May 14, 2012

HansAlbert wrote:

To be more precise, this is – for me, and at first sight – an anaylsis of the Frog Prince, a story of initiation. The golden ball of the fairy tale has become the flower vase, a prudent substitution, because it is able to symbolically reflect the world of the maiden and, of course, her genitals, especially when seen together with the stick as a phallus symbol. She raises the curtain, i.e. she is on the point of disclosing the secret of sexuality and showing herself to the world to have reached womanhood. Meanwhile the real or fancied frog prince is waiting for her in her bed.

why not say she has a nice ass and be done with it

jeff hladun
Senior MemberPosts: 2,070
Like?
In reply to HansAlbert, May 14, 2012

Thank you, Hans. The association of the Frog Prince to the stuffed bathrobe is made clear by you, and is an excellent example of Irakly's imagination. Certainly it is something I completely overlooked.

Irakly, if anything, this image does not provide an "invaluable" example of the Noctilux's value. A slower lens could have as easily been used in conjunction with a tripod, no? Especially in a studio setting where time is a less-valued commodity.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12191517@N05/

Irakly Shanidze
Like?
In reply to jeff hladun, May 14, 2012

that's the point! the more controlled the shot, the lesser amount of spontaneity is let into the picture. hence it ends up looking more contrived. with story lines that i use for my pictures, spontaneity is the only way to success. otherwise they would look totally artificial.
--
Irakly Shanidze
http://www.shanidze.com/en

Leica M9
Irakly Shanidze
Like?
In reply to intruder61, May 14, 2012

because there is a bit more there than just a nice ass
--
Irakly Shanidze

Leica M9
Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,560
Like?
In reply to Jack D., May 14, 2012

I hope you replied to the wrong person.

tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,676Gear list
Like?
Re: NSFW

Some of us work for prudish Americans!

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
MilSooper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,869Gear list
Like?
In reply to tinternaut, May 14, 2012

Then what are you doing on the internet doing non company tasks during work hours anyway?

MilSooper's gear list:MilSooper's gear list
Leica M8.2 Olympus E-5 Leica M9-P Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +7 more
tinternaut
Like?
Re: Well, if you'd ever had the kind of job
In reply to MilSooper, May 14, 2012

Where you don't need to ask permission to use the toilet and where they allow things like coffee breaks, you wouldn't have needed to ask that.

-- hide signature --
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Dr. Ulrich  Rohde
Contributing MemberPosts: 849Gear list
Like?

impressive

Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list:Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list
Leica X Vario Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Leica M8 Leica M9 +10 more
magneto shot
Senior MemberPosts: 1,312Gear list
Like?

its just another nude picture.....whatever hans is smoking pass some over!

magneto shot's gear list:magneto shot's gear list
Leica X Vario Sigma SD15 Leica M9 Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Nikon D4 +4 more
Irakly Shanidze
Like?
In reply to magneto shot, May 15, 2012

is it indeed?

this sort of remarks usually come from people for whom nudity in a picture becomes a matter of obsession overpowering everything else.
--
Irakly Shanidze

Leica M9
Irakly Shanidze
Like?
Re: Well, if you'd ever had the kind of job
In reply to tinternaut, May 15, 2012

wait a minute… are you saying that you were looking at this picture during a toilet break? awesome...
--
Irakly Shanidze

Leica M9
tinternaut
Like?
Re: Actually in the middle of the meeting
In reply to Irakly Shanidze, May 15, 2012

I asked the other participants what they thought of it. They too thought the photo was excellent but not a good idea to be looking at it in the office.

-- hide signature --
l_objectif
Forum ProPosts: 17,481Gear list
Like?
In reply to tinternaut, May 15, 2012

Once another prudish gentleman said that he doesn’t want his 16 year old gran-daughter to see a shot that I had posted then!...

The only suggestion I can give to “Prudish” fellows is to go to their profile in DPR; and, on “Privacy and Safety”, in the “Gallery viewing safety level”, select “SAFE”!

As the office times are very different across the globe, maybe it would also be safer to not visit a Photographers site such as DPR during any office time! (actually, DPR is one of the most “Prudish” Photography site I know! )... There are many other sites that may be much more appropriate for some of the 16 year old girls and prudish people!

BTW, surprisingly the other gentleman was also from UK. I had the pleasure of living and studying in England for few years and still have many wonderful English friends; but as well as I can recall, all my English friends are far from being that “Prudish”!... Maybe I was and am hanging around with wrong people!...

But if I am not mistaking, you are talking about Prudish Americans ?...Then, that's another story!...

-- hide signature --

Louis

My DPR Gallery (Shots with Dlux3, Dlux4,Dlux5, Nikon D300)
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6584690903/photos/slideshow
My contributions to DPR Challenges:
http://www.dpreview.com/members/6584690903/challenges

l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D300
tinternaut
Like?
Re: Hmmm. Maybe I wasn't clear. Alternatively.....
In reply to l_objectif, May 15, 2012

Just do what everyone else on every other photography forum does when posting work containing an element of nudity. NSFW stands for Not Suitable For Work(1) BTW(2) and is usually used as a prefix to a subject line(3).

(1) Because prudish Americans don't like employees viewing such things in the work place and tend to monitor activity.

(2) Meaning By The Way (for Internet challenged Leica users).

(3) A well established, simple and none intrusive courtesy in the tradition of the Internet (owners of cameras with red dots not exempt).

The courtesy protects the poster, the reader and ultimately DPreview. I hope that clears things up.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads