How high do you go ?

Started May 13, 2012 | Discussions
Camancha
Contributing MemberPosts: 740
Like?
How high do you go ?
May 13, 2012

Hello

I am just wondering your max ISO limit for the NX200? I know that I can compare NX200 to other cameras using dpreview's studio comparison tool, but I am after your real life experiences. Do you stop at ISO 1600 or 3200? Do you have pics to share where you found the noise either acceptable or unacceptable? Well, I guess you have deleted the pics with unacceptable noise already...

Thanks
.lars

snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?
Re: How high do you go ?
In reply to Camancha, May 14, 2012

The question is if you're shooting RAW or JPEG, as it makes a difference.

Such settings are personal, based on what you shoot, how much movement there is and what shutter speeds you require, what format you shoot with, your post processing, and so on, not to mention lens speed and other factors.

How about you give out some info first? How high to you shoot?

Camancha wrote:

Hello

I am just wondering your max ISO limit for the NX200? I know that I can compare NX200 to other cameras using dpreview's studio comparison tool, but I am after your real life experiences. Do you stop at ISO 1600 or 3200? Do you have pics to share where you found the noise either acceptable or unacceptable? Well, I guess you have deleted the pics with unacceptable noise already...

Thanks
.lars

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Camancha
Like?
In reply to snake_b, May 14, 2012

Hello again,

I am thinking about RAW, in low light with typical shutterspeeds between 1/20s and 1/90s. I am stuck choosing between NX200 and Pentax K-01. When pixel peeping it seems like the K-01 is better at high ISO but the question is whether you will notice it in real life.

Kind regards
.lars

snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?

Go to a store and demo them.

Your reply is still sparse with details and no one can predict parameters, including shutter speeds without situations, lenses, etc.

Camancha
Like?
In reply to snake_b, May 14, 2012

WTF???!!!...why is this so difficult to answer? Your arrogant and retarded answers are very disappointing. I didn't ask a complicated question.

I own a Pentax K10d and like most people I shoot in different environments and conditions. By taking thousands of shots I have realized that up to ISO 640 the IQ is usually fine. At higher ISO than 800 the noise can often be too disturbing unless converted to b/w. Of course these ISO limits are not absolutes, in some situations ISO 1200 can provide great results.

So, I just wonder if any NX200 owners have an opinion about the NX200's IQ at ISO 400 - 3200, which do you hesitate you use, which ISO do you use only for emergencies?

Kind regards
.lars

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,070Gear list
Like?

Camancha wrote:

Hello again,

I am thinking about RAW, in low light with typical shutterspeeds between 1/20s and 1/90s. I am stuck choosing between NX200 and Pentax K-01. When pixel peeping it seems like the K-01 is better at high ISO but the question is whether you will notice it in real life.

One question is what lenses do you plan on using with it? For example the Samsung has a cheaply available 30mm f/2 lens, which gives it an advantage over say a 40mm f/2.8 lens in terms of available aperture.

Here are some samples I took ranging from ISO 640 to 6400:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1001&message=40841724

I would go to ISO 6400 in a bind if it wasn't really critical. Really, noise has thresholds depending on individual user. I suppose I would usually try to stay below 3200 for sure.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +6 more
Camancha
Like?
In reply to viking79, May 14, 2012

viking79 wrote:

One question is what lenses do you plan on using with it? For example the Samsung has a cheaply available 30mm f/2 lens, which gives it an advantage over say a 40mm f/2.8 lens in terms of available aperture.

Thanks. 30mm F2, 55mm F1.8 (if it's actually released) or 85mm F1.4.

Yes, I realize the advantage of using F2 instead of F2.8, but if we're talking about shooting static objects in low light an IBIS and one stop of ISO advantage will be more beneficial than F2 vs F2.8. This is really why I hesitate to buy NX200. The two lenses I want are not stabilized.

Kind regards
.lars

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,070Gear list
Like?
In reply to Camancha, May 15, 2012

Camancha wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Yes, I realize the advantage of using F2 instead of F2.8, but if we're talking about shooting static objects in low light an IBIS and one stop of ISO advantage will be more beneficial than F2 vs F2.8. This is really why I hesitate to buy NX200. The two lenses I want are not stabilized.

I agree, I think IBIS is great on short to mid telephotos. I think on the 30mm it would be marginally useful. Just remember for people it is best to keep your shutter speed up anyway. However, it would be extremely useful for the 85mm.

I just got a Pentax 300mm f/4.5 and I tried it on the NEX 3. It is very difficult to get sharp shots with that even at 1/500, 1/1000 or higher is best. On my K100d with IBIS it is no problem down to 1/125 or so.

Both are great cameras. I think the K-01 is nice if you have Pentax AF lenses that you want to use, but the AF performance of that isn't going to be as high as the Samsung since the Pentax lenses aren't designed for CDAF like the Samsung lenses are.

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +6 more
Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?

Camancha wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Kind regards
.lars

just my honest opinion regarding the K-01 and NX200. if you want cleaner images at High ISO, the K-01 would resolve you more detail and better noise management at higher ISO by 1 stop especially at 3200 and 6400. I avoid shooting at both sensitivities with the NX200 not because the NX200 doesn't do a good job. the problem is it is tougher especially if you don't get enough exposure at such sensitivities due to the DR limitation at those ISO levels. also keeping the IQ at optimal levels around ISO 800 which I prefer. for real world, if you are doing large prints or crops, the noise would be visible especially with insufficient exposure. this shows in both cameras although the K-01 is better at managing it. this is more of a + or - thing for both systems. K-01 would have IBIS to compensate lack of speed and +1 ISO advantage. so why consider the NX200? well if you really like the 30mm and 85mm, those can be the intangibles that you might be looking for.

Camancha
Like?
In reply to Ariston, May 15, 2012

Ariston wrote:

just my honest opinion regarding the K-01 and NX200. if you want cleaner images at High ISO, the K-01 would resolve you more detail and better noise management at higher ISO by 1 stop especially at 3200 and 6400. I avoid shooting at both sensitivities with the NX200 not because the NX200 doesn't do a good job. the problem is it is tougher especially if you don't get enough exposure at such sensitivities due to the DR limitation at those ISO levels. also keeping the IQ at optimal levels around ISO 800 which I prefer. for real world, if you are doing large prints or crops, the noise would be visible especially with insufficient exposure. this shows in both cameras although the K-01 is better at managing it. this is more of a + or - thing for both systems. K-01 would have IBIS to compensate lack of speed and +1 ISO advantage. so why consider the NX200? well if you really like the 30mm and 85mm, those can be the intangibles that you might be looking for.

Well, Pentax DA35 F2.4 and the DA 70mm F2.4 are excellent lenses.

A reason to choose Samsung NX200 is its smaller size and.. surprise surprise... low ISO IQ. I know it's strange but I have always liked the output from Samsung sensors more than new Sony sensors. The pictures look more realistic and natural. I know that I am on thin ice here because with RAW you can most likely PP away these differences anyway. But, after looking at hundreds, perhaps even thousands, of photos from K-7 (Samsung) and Pentax K-5 (Sony) I often find the K-7's pics more pleasing (up to ISO 800).

Kind regards
.lars

Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?

then we are on the same page. what I like most about the NX200 is it's ISO100. really high quality images and it's too bad that studio setup can be quite an inconvenience due to lack of flash support, especially that wireless triggering has become a norm and made life easier for such occasion. if you could live with this certain weakness, the results are absolutely rewarding.

edav
Regular MemberPosts: 284
Like?
In reply to Camancha, May 17, 2012

I shoot jpeg's and my usual limit is 1250. At 1600, there is too much purple banding and noise.

HankK
Regular MemberPosts: 389
Like?
Real numbers for you.

With my NX200 (only shoot RAW), I mostly stay at 800 max. Once and awhile I will shoot some 1600 -- just a bit more softening of details than I like. One may not see the differences in the 8x10 photos that I usually print of people but I know the difference is there.

With the Fuji X100 I had, I would not hesitate to use ISO 1600. At 3200 the images were to weak and losing color.

Never thought of shooting 3200 with the NX200.

I have an NX20 coming and I am hoping that they have improved the processing to make 1600 fully usable for me.

I agree with your comments, people should post answers to your question.
--
Hank K
Samsung NX200 Kit (former 5DM2, GH2 Kit, and Fujifilm X100 shooter)

Camancha
Like?
Re: Real numbers for you.
In reply to HankK, May 17, 2012

I downloaded a couple of image samples (not studio shots) and pp'ed them with noise removal and selective sharpening. ISO 1600 seems to be no problem IMO, but ISO 3200 is a guessing game.....sometimes the result is mediocre and sometimes good.

Kind regards
.lars

Michael Barker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,964Gear list
Like?

I shoot RAW and would use ISO3200, but I try to avoid it if I can, especially if I think i might print large, or in shots where there is shadow detail I'm interested in. It's mostly colour noise, so that can be factored into it as well. In some shots its hard to correct colour noise, in others it is very easy.

I have the 30mm and the 18-55mm. If I'm using narrow apertures anyway and need to limit the ISO, I will switch to the 18-55mm to take advantage of the OIS. Otherwise the wide apertures on the 30mm keep me out of trouble most of the time.

Michael Barker's gear list:Michael Barker's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads