X-Pro1 can do Sports?

Started May 13, 2012 | Discussions
PG Thomas
Regular MemberPosts: 495Gear list
Like?
X-Pro1 can do Sports?
May 13, 2012

Well. If you zone focus.. And 6 f/sec helps.

These bikes were moving, and I was using aan old Tamron SP 100mm Macro.

First is cropped - the last full frame.

Pete

Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,002
Like?
Re: X-Pro1 can do Sports?
In reply to PG Thomas, May 13, 2012

You can shoot nice sports photos with every camera. The issue is not the photos that you show here, but those you have missed because of inferior performance.

The indication is very simple. If you can accurately capture everything, ALL the time whenever you see it, then yes, the camera can do sports.

In any case, there are nice photos.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
millsart
Senior MemberPosts: 2,771
Like?
Assuming one NEEDS to capture everything
In reply to Moti, May 13, 2012

I'm a sports photographer for a living and most of my clients wouldn't be too happy with me if I repeatedly missed game winning plays over and over.

Even with a D3s I still sometimes miss a shot, but I do get most of them.

HOWEVER, who's to say that if you shooting for your own personal enjoyment you need to get everything ?

When you go out for yourself do you even need to get one shot really ?

There is no creative services dept wanting 150+ files uploaded per event

There is no picture desk editor asking if you got a shot of

Its simply about having fun doing photography

Moti wrote:

You can shoot nice sports photos with every camera. The issue is not the photos that you show here, but those you have missed because of inferior performance.

The indication is very simple. If you can accurately capture everything, ALL the time whenever you see it, then yes, the camera can do sports.

-- hide signature --
flaxseedoil1000
Regular MemberPosts: 214
Like?
In reply to PG Thomas, May 13, 2012

Very well done!

What do you think your keeper rate was?

hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,145
Like?
In reply to flaxseedoil1000, May 14, 2012

What aperture did you use? F/8? DOF looks rather deep.

lnbolch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,860Gear list
Like?
In reply to hellocrowley, May 14, 2012

Sports was shot with fully manual and slow to operate cameras with film that was horrendously grainy at ISO400 when nothing else existed. There are specialized cameras now, optimized for sports which would be a better choice if you earned your living that way—specially shooting field sports where enormous telephotos are required. However, bikes, gymnastics, and many other sports can be shot from close distances. For motor racing, it would be a fine camera for covering the pits. The OVF shows the surrounding area, which could be a substantial advantage over the restrictions of the EVF or a dSLR.

-- hide signature --
 lnbolch's gear list:lnbolch's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8400 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +12 more
Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,002
Like?
Re: Assuming one NEEDS to capture everything
In reply to millsart, May 14, 2012

You are right of course but the question wasn't about the purpose of the shooting. It was simply about the ability of the camera to do sports ND that was my answer for.

Moti

millsart wrote:

I'm a sports photographer for a living and most of my clients wouldn't be too happy with me if I repeatedly missed game winning plays over and over.

Even with a D3s I still sometimes miss a shot, but I do get most of them.

HOWEVER, who's to say that if you shooting for your own personal enjoyment you need to get everything ?

When you go out for yourself do you even need to get one shot really ?

There is no creative services dept wanting 150+ files uploaded per event

There is no picture desk editor asking if you got a shot of

Its simply about having fun doing photography

Moti wrote:

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
PG Thomas
Regular MemberPosts: 495Gear list
Like?
In reply to lnbolch, May 14, 2012

lnbolch wrote:

Sports was shot with fully manual and slow to operate cameras with film that was horrendously grainy at ISO400 when nothing else existed. There are specialized cameras now, optimized for sports which would be a better choice if you earned your living that way—specially shooting field sports where enormous telephotos are required. However, bikes, gymnastics, and many other sports can be shot from close distances. For motor racing, it would be a fine camera for covering the pits. The OVF shows the surrounding area, which could be a substantial advantage over the restrictions of the EVF or a dSLR.

It was quite funny realy. There I was with a 1970 lens on a 2012 camera.

6 f/s helped initialy to determine the depth of field and the exact point on the lens for sharp focus. Then I just used OVF to pick out this point using the 100mm lens.

But the realy nice feature was that the front of the tamron lens would fit through the wire mesh, whilst the photographer next to me was struggling with his Nikon kit with its huge zoom lens. + I could continuously hand hold this without pain and he couldn't. Also High ISOs remain noise free, so the F2.5 optic was fine.

I was getting 80% plus hits. Which is similar to my K5 with the Tamrom SP 300 F2.8 Prime using catch focus on a monopod which I take to other events. The advantage here was tat at this event I was quite close to the action. Too close for one bike which missed the corner! But I was too startled to catch that (and it would have been out of focus anyway.

If there is a point to this, it's just to say that the X-Pro 1 has some advantages, and the main being the OVF as you can see whre the bike is in relation to the focus point as it approaches. I fould this to be the main reason for the high hit rate.

It also is quite a good 'street camera'...

Peter

-- hide signature --
skimble
Senior MemberPosts: 6,162Gear list
Like?
In reply to PG Thomas, May 14, 2012

For sure you had fun and the shots will do for your personal use.
Nice series and nice bikes
Cheers,
Siggi

skimble's gear list:skimble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 70D
Boen Boen
Forum MemberPosts: 87
Like?
In reply to skimble, May 14, 2012

I am sure X-Pro 1 can do Sports. When you do it for fun, you will always find positive things about the camera; any camera.

Even my X100 can do "sports". Here, my kids were on a "fast" moving car in an amusement park.

Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 3,243Gear list
Like?
In reply to PG Thomas, Oct 13, 2012

PG Thomas wrote:

Pete

You can actually get more speed in the image by choosing a slower shutterspeed so the spokes of the wheels turn instead of freeze but some movement in the background will occur as well adding to the speedsensation. This is a simple trick but demands serious panning skills.

Nice pics and keep shooting.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Bad Pic kev
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,759Gear list
Like?
In reply to Moti, Oct 14, 2012

Moti wrote:

You can shoot nice sports photos with every camera.The issue is not the photos that you show here, but those you have missed because of inferior performance.

a friend of mine that shoots for nat geo once told me, kev you dont have to hit a home run with every shot. people are only going see the home runs you hit, not the ones you dont. he then went on to say his last trip to africa he shot 100 rolls of 36exp film. nat geo chose to print 30 of his 3600 shots.

he then told me that with all my experience with shooting old outdated gear and getting decent results, i would see a fast improvement with better gear. what i got from his advised was to relax, i know what i am doing. i did notice that i felt better about my results.

so does a photog need to be perfect every time, no he does not.

-- hide signature --

I have a picture, pinned to my wall. An image of you and of me and we're laughing and loving it all.

Bad Pic kev's gear list:Bad Pic kev's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
KentbertLee
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
In reply to PG Thomas, Oct 16, 2012

PG Thomas wrote:

Pete

wow it was greattt..unbelievable..how can you do it? that the kit lens can do the same thing?

i heard that AF on xpro its no so fast... its just ok..

KentbertLee
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
In reply to PG Thomas, Oct 27, 2012

answer me please..i need to know bout this

57even
Senior MemberPosts: 4,922Gear list
Like?
In reply to PG Thomas, Oct 28, 2012

Good job!

Love the bikes.

Sport photography in good light is a matter of good technique. In poor light its a matter of blind luck - that's kind of where the hi tech helps. If I shot pro baseball, I think I'd want a D4...

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
57even
Senior MemberPosts: 4,922Gear list
Like?
In reply to KentbertLee, Oct 28, 2012

KentbertLee wrote:

answer me please..i need to know bout this

Look up "zone focus".

Don't need AF.