I decided to skip upgrading to the d800 for now...

Started May 13, 2012 | Discussions
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,512
Like?
I decided to skip upgrading to the d800 for now...
May 13, 2012

Played with one yesterday, and I loved it! However, I would only upgrade because of video. The output from the d800 is awesome! However, for fast action, kids, sports, etc. I need very fast autofocus and lots of leeway with the footage.

I just can't focus fast enough with the d800, and don't want to spend another $1,000 plus on an additional hdmi capture device.

So instead, I'll be selling some fear that I don't use as often, keeping my d700 (still a great camera), and getting a canon xf-100.

Maybe if the d600 is what Nikon rumors says it is, I'll upgrade to that...or maybe if I can ever get a good deal on a d3x I would consider that as well.

Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,324Gear list
Like?
Re: I decided to skip upgrading to the d800 for now...
In reply to The Photo Ninja, May 13, 2012

If youre looking for good video of sports, then consider getting a real camcorder.. with a smaller sensor. The footage will be better and the AF will be able to keep up because of the deeper DOF.

Large sensor video is more condusive to deliberate video making.. i.e. set shots, fixed focal lengths, fixed exposure, manual focusing, external audio solutions, etc. Aside from the Sony SLT line, large sensor cameras are always going to have a hard time as an AFing action video camera.

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Played with one yesterday, and I loved it! However, I would only upgrade because of video. The output from the d800 is awesome! However, for fast action, kids, sports, etc. I need very fast autofocus and lots of leeway with the footage.

I just can't focus fast enough with the d800, and don't want to spend another $1,000 plus on an additional hdmi capture device.

So instead, I'll be selling some fear that I don't use as often, keeping my d700 (still a great camera), and getting a canon xf-100.

Maybe if the d600 is what Nikon rumors says it is, I'll upgrade to that...or maybe if I can ever get a good deal on a d3x I would consider that as well.

 Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,512
Like?
Good advice...the Xf-100 is 1/3"
In reply to Jogger, May 13, 2012

And it shoots in Mpeg 2 at 50Mbps to compact flash cards.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ayrshirephotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 360
Like?
Re: I decided to skip upgrading to the d800 for now...
In reply to Jogger, May 13, 2012

Jogger wrote:

If youre looking for good video of sports, then consider getting a real camcorder.. with a smaller sensor. The footage will be better and the AF will be able to keep up because of the deeper DOF.

Large sensor video is more condusive to deliberate video making.. i.e. set shots, fixed focal lengths, fixed exposure, manual focusing, external audio solutions, etc. Aside from the Sony SLT line, large sensor cameras are always going to have a hard time as an AFing action video camera.

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Played with one yesterday, and I loved it! However, I would only upgrade because of video. The output from the d800 is awesome! However, for fast action, kids, sports, etc. I need very fast autofocus and lots of leeway with the footage.

I just can't focus fast enough with the d800, and don't want to spend another $1,000 plus on an additional hdmi capture device.

So instead, I'll be selling some fear that I don't use as often, keeping my d700 (still a great camera), and getting a canon xf-100.

Maybe if the d600 is what Nikon rumors says it is, I'll upgrade to that...or maybe if I can ever get a good deal on a d3x I would consider that as well.

Very well said. Both have a place though.
--
"I come to this forum because it sucks less than the others."

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tabloid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,632
Like?
Re: I decided to skip upgrading to the d800 for now...
In reply to Ayrshirephotographer, May 13, 2012

We've got a D800 on order (for video purposes)

, but we also bought a Canon XF100, which was used on our last trip.

The XF100 has face recognition and so does the D800 so it will be interesting to compare the two.(when we get the D800)
We are going to have a look at the Canon XH A1s which has 3ccd.

If the equipment is not what we are looking for then we sell it straight away...with very little financial loss.

Best way to do it.

Regards

G

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,512
Like?
How do you like the xf100?
In reply to tabloid, May 13, 2012

Any tips or feedback?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tabloid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,632
Like?
Re: How do you like the xf100?
In reply to The Photo Ninja, May 14, 2012

It was used by my fellow photographer....who loved the face recognition.
Im still using my old Canon HV20 (tape), which seems to be conking out on me.

So we have on order a D800, but if its not up to par then we will sell it straight away.

Canon seem to be coming out with new K4 SLR's...but they are a bit on the expensive side.
It seems that every few weeks there is some sort of leap frogging going on.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Event_shooter
Contributing MemberPosts: 976
Like?
Re: How do you like the xf100?
In reply to tabloid, May 14, 2012

Why ANYONE would but a still camera THEN REJECT IT based on it's video capabilities, is beyond me.

Seriously, is this where we are at today?

The will never ever make a still camera that can compete withe a real video camera, so I don't know why anyone even considers Video capabilities in still cameras.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,512
Like?
Technologies are converging...
In reply to Event_shooter, May 14, 2012

Many filmmakers use DSLRs as their main video camera. It's just not for me (at this time).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tabloid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,632
Like?
Re: Technologies are converging...
In reply to The Photo Ninja, May 14, 2012

You are correct...times are changing.
The new Canon 4K SLR's which are just coming out, are the future.
1080 is on its way out.
Strange isn't it that things like 'thunderbolt' are coming in at the same time.

All that people have to do is...take a step backwards, and look at the big picture.
regards

Im also going to get a D3200 (when it comes out), to have a good look at its video capabilities....it seems to have good spec's, then sell it in a weeks time on Amazon...you won't loose any money...its a good way of checking out new equipment.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hughesnet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,024Gear list
Like?
Re: I decided to skip upgrading to the d800 for now...
In reply to Jogger, May 14, 2012

Maybe get yourself a a77 for sports video...

 Hughesnet's gear list:Hughesnet's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hughesnet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,024Gear list
Like?
Re: How do you like the xf100?
In reply to Event_shooter, May 14, 2012

It isn't a still camera...

 Hughesnet's gear list:Hughesnet's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,512
Like?
Re: Technologies are converging...
In reply to tabloid, May 15, 2012

I did that with the 5100 and it was nice.

Picked up the xf100 today... Battery is charging

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tabloid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,632
Like?
Re: Technologies are converging...
In reply to The Photo Ninja, May 15, 2012

The Photo Ninja wrote:

I did that with the 5100 and it was nice.

Picked up the xf100 today... Battery is charging.

I don't think that u will be disappointed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ShootDuringTwilight
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
Funny...
In reply to The Photo Ninja, May 25, 2012

As you have been on the Canon forums of late saying that Canon is better than Nikon and that you don't like Nikon colors etc. And here you talk about keeping your D700 or getting a D600.

Guess some people just are indecisive or like to stir trouble.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
David H Dennis
Regular MemberPosts: 277Gear list
Like?
Re: I decided to skip upgrading to the d800 for now...
In reply to The Photo Ninja, May 25, 2012

If you have a $15k+ budget, you should consider RED Scarlet and EPIC. Scarlet shoots video consisting, essentially, of continuous 4K stills at up to 30fps. Usable base model about $15k. RED was the first company in the world to do this. EPIC ups the ante with 5K stills. I believe 5K is about 16MP, and EPIC can shoot them at up to 120FPS. Base model is about $35k.

RED has an excellent reputation for really pushing the envelope with this technology. The founder, Jim Jannard, was unhappy with what was available in the video camera realm and so he decided to make his own camera. His customers all but worship him.

See http://www.red.com and the Recon board of http://reduser.net to see Jim interacting with his fans and detractors. A show not to be missed :).

D

 David H Dennis's gear list:David H Dennis's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,512
Like?
Stalker
In reply to ShootDuringTwilight, May 25, 2012

If you must know, I thought I had a line in the d800e today, but that fell through. So I'm back to looking at canon. But hey, way to go Magnum PI.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
studio460
Contributing MemberPosts: 612Gear list
Like?
Re: Stalker
In reply to The Photo Ninja, May 25, 2012

David H Dennis wrote:

If you have a $15k+ budget, you should consider RED Scarlet and EPIC.

Few amateur shooters will likely have the money for a Scarlet, let alone an Epic, or either of their pricey accessories. However, for only $2K, an APS-C sensored Sony VG-20 shoots pretty nice 24p video for the money. And, if desired, you can buy an F-mount to e-adapter to enable you to use your manual-focus Nikkor Ais lenses onto the VG-20 (of course, resulting in a DX-like, 1.5x crop-factor).

 studio460's gear list:studio460's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D3S Nikon D800E
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
4x5 Guy
Contributing MemberPosts: 848
Like?
Re: Stalker
In reply to The Photo Ninja, May 25, 2012

The Photo Ninja wrote:

If you must know, I thought I had a line in the d800e today, but that fell through. So I'm back to looking at canon. But hey, way to go Magnum PI.

After reading many of your posts, I'd agree. Canon is the way for you to go. You'll be much happier.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lost_in_utah
Regular MemberPosts: 432
Like?
Re: I decided to skip upgrading to the d800 for now...
In reply to David H Dennis, May 25, 2012

David H Dennis wrote:

If you have a $15k+ budget, you should consider RED Scarlet and EPIC. Scarlet shoots video consisting, essentially, of continuous 4K stills at up to 30fps. Usable base model about $15k. RED was the first company in the world to do this. EPIC ups the ante with 5K stills. I believe 5K is about 16MP, and EPIC can shoot them at up to 120FPS. Base model is about $35k.

RED has an excellent reputation for really pushing the envelope with this technology. The founder, Jim Jannard, was unhappy with what was available in the video camera realm and so he decided to make his own camera.

(His customers all but worship him.)

D

If his customers all BUT worship him, they must not like him very much!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads