When was the end of Black & White?

Started May 13, 2012 | Discussions
chopsteeks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212
Like?
Re: When was the end of Black & White?
In reply to Gordon W, Jun 5, 2012

Galleries showcase b/w images of lots of great artists not named Ansel Adams...just fyi....

Have you seen the prices of well made b/w prints made from film ?

Gordon W wrote:

PerL wrote:

Gordon W wrote:

There will always be a niche group of photographers who prefer film and those who prefer B&W, but they are a small percentage of today's photographers as evidenced by what's posted on photo sharing sites that cater to serious photographers, like Smugmug for instance. You'll find very little B&W on them.

On the other hand, if you look at major photo exhibitions of famous photographers you will see a strong representation of B&W.

Famous photographers such as whom? And are they current photographers or past photographers? Even Ansel Adams had started to shoot color along with B&W, although I personally think much of his work is highly overrated.

-- hide signature --

--
My online photo galleries
http://www.pbase.com/merriwolf/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,102Gear list
Like?
I still use it for MF /nt
In reply to Dan Desjardins, Jun 5, 2012
-- hide signature --

tex_andrews

"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust

"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +17 more
Gordon W
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,451Gear list
Like?
In reply to chopsteeks, Jun 5, 2012

chopsteeks wrote:

Galleries showcase b/w images of lots of great artists not named Ansel Adams...just fyi....

Thanks for informing me of the obvious. I simply used Ansel as an example.

Can't say that I have. Can't say that prices of art mean anything to me either. I've see utter crap in all areas of art sell for millions of dollars to people with more money than sense.

-- hide signature --

--

Gordon W's gear list:Gordon W's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Canon EOS 400D +4 more
chopsteeks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212
Like?
In reply to Gordon W, Jun 5, 2012

Folks often times believe that a razor sharp, great bokeh, colorful snapshot as an Art.

But in real world terms ----- those images are just great snapshots.

Gordon W wrote:

chopsteeks wrote:

Can't say that I have. Can't say that prices of art mean anything to me either. I've see utter crap in all areas of art sell for millions of dollars to people with more money than sense.

-- hide signature --

--

Gordon W
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,451Gear list
Like?
In reply to chopsteeks, Jun 5, 2012

Art is in the mind of the beholder. What is art to one person can be crap to another.

chopsteeks wrote:

Folks often times believe that a razor sharp, great bokeh, colorful snapshot as an Art.

But in real world terms ----- those images are just great snapshots.

Gordon W wrote:

chopsteeks wrote:

-- hide signature --

--

Gordon W's gear list:Gordon W's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Canon EOS 400D +4 more
Doug MacMillan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,795Gear list
Like?
Define "People"
In reply to Dan Desjardins, Jun 5, 2012

By people, do you mean the average snapshooter or hobbyists?

Back in the 1950's, it was common for local drugstores to do B&W photofinishing. Color prints were inconvenient and expensive. Color film was slow. Things started to change in the 1960's and by 1980, it was hard to get B&W in snapshot format (Instamatic).

As a hobbyist, I always shot B&W film and color slides. I rarely shot color fillm unless it was for snapshots of the family vacation, etc. When I was a professional commercial photographer, I shot all formats, but I did a lot of work in B&W for reproduction. At one point, I would go through at least one box of 500 sheet 8x10 a week. Luckily, I had an automated processor (Kodak Royalprint).

I still love B&W. I use NIK's Silver Efex Pro and print with a Canon Pixma Pro 9500 that will print true monochome. I'm able to get as good or better results compared to my wet lab days.

Doug MacMillan's gear list:Doug MacMillan's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II
grantham
Regular MemberPosts: 324
Like?
In reply to harrygilbert, Jun 5, 2012

Started shooting color slides in 1957, it was on the west coast of B C Can. interesting part is that the town (Pop 3500-4000) now is a ghost town, maybe 15-25 people now
De ve7da Ken

Skipper494
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,900
Like?
In reply to Dan Desjardins, Jun 6, 2012

1963 for me. Perutz was king and I made 127 slides.

DenWil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,340
Like?
"People" ... thanks!

I'm all for the masses abandoning B&W, it just bolsters my price structure without my changing a thing. Thanks everybody. Best thing that could have happened for business.

Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,655Gear list
Like?
It’s B/W

I have been known to B/W once and a while. It boils down to what I want as an end product and mainly what I want to convey

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads