Shadow pull-up, E-M5

Started May 13, 2012 | Discussions
gollywop
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,425
Like?
Shadow pull-up, E-M5
May 13, 2012

While cleaning out old folders, I happened upon this shot I made when I first tested UniWB with the E-M5. I'd forgotten about it, but upon seeing the sequence of which this was a part, I realized it also provided a great test of just how well the new ACR 7.1 could deal with a large shadow pull.

Here is the original along with a PP that involved nearly a 4-stop exposure boost (3.85 EV). All the tonal alterations were done in ACR 7.1, but it did take a trip to CS6 to have NR (via Neat Image) and to be resized.

-- hide signature --

gollywop

-----------

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
It's really good isn't it? I love it... (nt)
In reply to gollywop, May 13, 2012
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Erik Johansen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,271Gear list
Like?
Very good, but.....

...the feet are killing me.....
--
It is never too late to give up your prejudices.

gollywop
Like?
Re: Very good, but.....
In reply to Erik Johansen, May 13, 2012

Erik Johansen wrote:

Me too.

-- hide signature --

gollywop

-----------

gollywop
Like?
Re: It's really good isn't it? I love it... (nt)
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 13, 2012

Yes. It's hard to believe. But I'm definitely a believer.

-- hide signature --

gollywop

-----------

Spectacle99
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?
Re: Shadow pull-up, E-M5

Wow! That's pretty impressive.

nand
Senior MemberPosts: 1,386Gear list
Like?
Yes, but...

This is really amazing. It is also amazing, that the corrected image is time stamped 6 minutes earlier than the uncorrected dark image?

Nand.

-- hide signature --

nand's gear list:nand's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +22 more
Martin Ocando
Senior MemberPosts: 2,561Gear list
Like?
I see clipping...

But not shadows or highlights. You need a nail clipping PRONTO!!!

Good pull example, BTW.

gollywop wrote:

Erik Johansen wrote:

Me too.

-- hide signature --

gollywop

-----------

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando
-------------------------

Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +6 more
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,605Gear list
Like?
Good for m4/3rds but there's

a lo of chroma and noise in there. And this is on a very resized own shot.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

gollywop
Like?
Re: Yes, but...
In reply to nand, May 13, 2012

nand wrote:

This is really amazing. It is also amazing, that the corrected image is time stamped 6 minutes earlier than the uncorrected dark image?

Yes, because, after processing and saving the corrected version, I pulled the .xmp to revert to the original RAW file so I could resize and save it as a jpeg.

You are too suspicious for your own good.
--
gollywop

-- hide signature --

gollywop
Like?
Re: Good for m4/3rds but there's
In reply to Raist3d, May 13, 2012

Raist3d wrote:

Gee, I wonder how that got there.

-- hide signature --

gollywop

-----------

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
In reply to Raist3d, May 13, 2012

Who cares? It's a daft thing to do, but amusing it will do it.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

400trix
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?
Dude, trim your toenails...

;-).

Now I'm looking forward to the E-M5 even more. Except for the toenails.

-- hide signature --

God loves the noise just as much as the signal.

400trix's gear list:400trix's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
grumpyolderman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,085
Like?

good pullup, I had to do that today about a dozen times, when my flash did not fire (not loaded, all manual) and it was only on a s100fs, really small sensor, introducing a lot of noise in the pull up, but resulting in useful pics:

JL

gollywop
Like?
Re: Dude, trim your toenails...
In reply to 400trix, May 13, 2012

400trix wrote:

;-).

Now I'm looking forward to the E-M5 even more. Except for the toenails.

Then I hate to be the one to break this to you, but it doesn't work without the toenails.

-- hide signature --

gollywop

-----------

gollywop
Like?
In reply to grumpyolderman, May 13, 2012

grumpyolderman wrote:

good pullup, I had to do that today about a dozen times, when my flash did not fire (not loaded, all manual) and it was only on a s100fs, really small sensor, introducing a lot of noise in the pull up, but resulting in useful pics:

Not bad at all, but you lost the window details -- not, of course, that they are the most important element of the shot.
--
gollywop

-- hide signature --

Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 14,950
Like?

gollywop wrote:

While cleaning out old folders, I happened upon this shot I made when I first tested UniWB with the E-M5. I'd forgotten about it, but upon seeing the sequence of which this was a part, I realized it also provided a great test of just how well the new ACR 7.1 could deal with a large shadow pull.

Here is the original along with a PP that involved nearly a 4-stop exposure boost (3.85 EV). All the tonal alterations were done in ACR 7.1, but it did take a trip to CS6 to have NR (via Neat Image) and to be resized.

Wow ! Nothing to "sneeze at". Do you like NeatImage better than ACR 7.x's Color/Luminance NR ?

I managed to get out with my (camera model shall go un-named, as it now lives in the shame of runner-up status among the cyborgs) yestreday, and was again reminded of how much better I (personally) like (along with UniWB) using B&W preview to frame shots, and simply could not manage to be able to effectively sort through the resulting (B&W) JPGs that I simultaneously record along with the RAWs to determine which of the mutliple shots that I typically take has the best focus-integrity, camera-stability, light-distribution, framing, etc. in order to determine which to RAW process. With my chosen "multiple shots of the same scene" approach, B&W is invaluable ...

Am curious as to whether (on the E-M5) using such a B&W preview/review has any disadvantages (for instance, does it modify the "blinkies", or review/playback RGBL histogram, functionality) ?

gollywop
Like?
In reply to Detail Man, May 13, 2012

Detail Man wrote:

gollywop wrote:

Wow ! Nothing to "sneeze at". Do you like NeatImage better than ACR 7.x's Color/Luminance NR ?

Yes. It does a much better job of removing noise, and it does so without killing detail. I've just started using it. I used to use Noise Ninja, which worked quite well. But they have not stayed up with things: they still haven't produced a 64-bit version for the Mac, and as such, it will not run under CS6. I use the ACR NR facility only very lightly for chroma noise at development and save the heavy stuff, when it is needed, for PS.

But, in the silver-lining department, I think Neat Image may actually be better than Noise Ninja. So I'm glad they forced me to look into the issue once again. I got the "Pro" version of Neat Image, by the way, because it works with 16-bit (and 32-bit) color rather than being limited to 8-bit.

Am curious as to whether (on the E-M5) using such a B&W preview/review has any disadvantages (for instance, does it modify the "blinkies", or review/playback RGBL histogram, functionality) ?

It works just fine. All review functionality remains intact; and both the pre- and post-shot blinkies work, properly based on the chosen WB (which, of course, is . . . ).

I will also reiterate that UniWB seems to work particularly well with this Olympus camera. It works wonderfully with my D300, but, for a reason I can't figure out, it does not work too well with my E-510. It's okay, and exposure setting is better with it than without it, but it is not as reliable as with the E-M5 and D300. I don't know if it is in the nature of the metering or the way the jpeg engine produces the histograms and blinkie info.

-- hide signature --

gollywop

-----------

Raist3d
Like?

gollywop wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Gee, I wonder how that got there.

-- hide signature --

gollywop

-----------

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

Raist3d
Like?
In reply to Louis_Dobson, May 13, 2012

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Who cares? It's a daft thing to do, but amusing it will do it.

Well but that's the point. I think it does pretty good, don't disagree with that. But I like whole observations to be complete if you will.

As for caring, well, there's this thread about it, and we are replying.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads