Why are Nikon users Locked

Started May 13, 2012 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Desifinado
Contributing MemberPosts: 965
Why are Nikon users
May 13, 2012

so desperate for attention/approval in the Canon forums?

gdanmitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,730
Re: Why are Nikon users
In reply to Desifinado, May 13, 2012

Most Nikon users are just as sane as most Canon users. They/we don't care at all about the purported "brand wars," nor associate the choice of a camera brand with the quality of one's personality.

So let's start by not generalizing about Nikon owners in this way, OK? I know a ton of photographers, some of whom shoot Canon and some of whom shoot Nikon and most of them are great people and fine photographers regardless of camera brand.

Dan

Desifinado wrote:

Shaun Bell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,255Gear list

I shoot Nikon and like posting on any forum I choose. I don't think you can say I'm looking for attention. As for approval, I'm always right so no need to get into that. Ok, just kidding. I do believe this obsession of who makes the best camera is bizarre. As photographers, we would never conduct ourselves like that in person. Yes, I have friends that are professional photographers shooting Canon. Doesn't mean I don't invite them over for a BBQ because of their brand of camera lol! I think both systems are pretty good and beyond what any other manufacture has to offer. Keeping in the loop about what Canon does may help put pressure on Nikon as well. Of course I'm just hoping, but you never know. Maybe some day we'll see a 70-200 f4 or a RF flash.

Shaun Bell's gear list:Shaun Bell's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D700 Nikon D3X +10 more
chironNYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,377
OP is right. There are no Canon Trolls in the Nikon Forums

The OP is completely right about this. There is no equivalent in the Nikon forums to the trolling we get here--in the Nikon forums, you don't see endless, constant posting by Canon users talking about the superiority of the 5d3. But the crew of Nikon trolls over here is truly a pest-control problem.

It is always the same people over here. We know who they are. They are either paid to troll by Nikon or they are wackadoo personality disorders or they are 13 years old (which seems very unlikely).

Or perhaps they are very insecure people, unsure of their photographic skills, who hope to make other people feel like they do.

Desifinado wrote:

-- hide signature --

Peter

Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,926Gear list

Desifinado wrote:

If you are referring to Nikon users in DPR, they are not so much desparate as exacting revenge for years of Canon trolling in their forum. It amounts to a small handful of knuckleheads from each forum really. And this thread won't help ease the trolling forays.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, photography never for sale, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Desifinado
Contributing MemberPosts: 965
In reply to Rick Knepper, May 13, 2012

"years of Canon trolling in their forum."

I haven't seen any evidence of that. Seems Canon users are mostly disinterested in Nikon products.

chironNYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,377

Neither have I.

Desifinado wrote:

I haven't seen any evidence of that. Seems Canon users are mostly disinterested in Nikon products.

-- hide signature --

Peter

bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 30,009
Re: OP is right. There are no Canon Trolls in the Nikon Forums
In reply to chironNYC, May 13, 2012

chironNYC wrote:

The OP is completely right about this. There is no equivalent in the Nikon forums to the trolling we get here--in the Nikon forums, you don't see endless, constant posting by Canon users talking about the superiority of the 5d3.

Actually, in the days when Canon made clearly better cameras than Nikon there was a lot of that, (well not the 5DIII, obviously, but whatever the Canon top dog of the time was).

However, what you see here is very little of Nikon users talking of the superiority of the D800, what you get are Canon users talking of the virtues of the D800, because they were expecting canon to produce something similar.
--
Bob

Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,847

chironNYC wrote:

in the Nikon forums, you don't see endless, constant posting by Canon users talking about the superiority of the 5d3.

That is because the general perception is that the D800 is the better camera (whether this is true or not is beside the point). If it were the other way around I suppose you would see more Canon trolls in the Nikon forum.

Desifinado wrote:

In all of the years that I've been visiting DPR I have never seen as many Canon users posting in the Nikon forums as they have been in the last few months.

There are always a few and it works both ways. You may not realize it but there have been a steady number of Canon users trolling in the Nikon forum as well.

Regardless, I do agree that it is in poor taste and wish they wouldn't do it.

olynik969
Senior MemberPosts: 1,416
Why reply to them?????

That is what breeds the posts. People will not stick around where they are getting no attention...
Further, not all D800 posts "here" come from Nikon users.....

-- hide signature --

Bob (formerly bobmax)

GaryJP
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,081Gear list
Short man in a bar syndrome.

"Knock this off my shoulder. I dare ya. I dare ya."

-- hide signature --
 GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 II G1 X II Canon EOS-1D Mark III +7 more
Jaybar
New MemberPosts: 21
In reply to chironNYC, May 13, 2012

chironNYC wrote:

The OP is completely right about this. There is no equivalent in the Nikon forums to the trolling we get here--in the Nikon forums, you don't see endless, constant posting by Canon users talking about the superiority of the 5d3. But the crew of Nikon trolls over here is truly a pest-control problem.

It is always the same people over here. We know who they are. They are either paid to troll by Nikon or they are wackadoo personality disorders or they are 13 years old (which seems very unlikely).

Or perhaps they are very insecure people, unsure of their photographic skills, who hope to make other people feel like they do.

As one on the fence who reads both forums, I’ve also noticed far fewer posts in the Nikon forum trying to diminish or slam other cameras. Seems the posts here that do get responses from Nikon users start out by claiming superiority of the Canon or fault with the Nikon. And some here are relentlesss (and you know who you are). This invariably brings out those wishing to defend their brand or correct perceived erroneous information. And I don’t know why such posts are so prevalent in this particular forum. Perhaps it’s due to some kind of camera insecurity, or disappointment with the current offerings? It would be far better to discuss ones own camera in ones own forum and not incessantly try to prove it’s the best or degrade others choices. And oh yes, posting pictures!

qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,011Gear list
In reply to bobn2, May 13, 2012

bobn2 wrote:

However, what you see here is very little of Nikon users talking of the superiority of the D800,

I actually saw many pure Nikon shooters or some dual-system owners but without owning any cameras in 1D/5D series jumped in this Canon forum to boast D800.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 30,009
In reply to qianp2k, May 13, 2012

qianp2k wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

However, what you see here is very little of Nikon users talking of the superiority of the D800,

I actually saw many pure Nikon shooters or some dual-system owners but without owning any cameras in 1D/5D series jumped in this Canon forum to boast D800.

Like who, for instance?
--
Bob

GaryJP
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,081Gear list
In reply to Jaybar, May 13, 2012

Jaybar wrote:

And some here are relentlesss (and you know who you are). This invariably brings out those wishing to defend their brand or correct perceived erroneous information.

Even if that were true, the question is why they spend so much time reading here.

I'd say the majority of us practically never spend so much time over there.

-- hide signature --
 GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 II G1 X II Canon EOS-1D Mark III +7 more
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,011Gear list

I don't want to name them but we have heard many complaints such as this one that many Nikon trolls in this Canon forum.

My definition of pure Nikon shooters are those who shoot basically exclusively with Nikon gears. So if someone still has a 20D or Rebel 350D in home but mostly shoot D800/D700/D7000/D5100/D3100 etc are in my definition. I define myself a pure Canon shooter despite I still own Nikon D50 + 18-70 DX as latter sitting on my shelf for years.

I also include those who might own Canon APS-C models but never own or experience Canon FF models (and 99% of them have not owned D800) so they have no ideas how D800 is better than 5D3/5D2 in real world but still crazily advertising D800. I don't think you can effectively claim D800 is way better than 5D3/5D2 based on paper spec or DPR/IR lab samples unless you spend some time with both systems in real fields.

bobn2 wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Like who, for instance?
--
Bob

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
David Hull
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,432Gear list

bobn2 wrote:

chironNYC wrote:

The OP is completely right about this. There is no equivalent in the Nikon forums to the trolling we get here--in the Nikon forums, you don't see endless, constant posting by Canon users talking about the superiority of the 5d3.

Actually, in the days when Canon made clearly better cameras than Nikon there was a lot of that, (well not the 5DIII, obviously, but whatever the Canon top dog of the time was).

However, what you see here is very little of Nikon users talking of the superiority of the D800, what you get are Canon users talking of the virtues of the D800, because they were expecting canon to produce something similar.

With the exception of the DR performance at low ISO, they are actually quite similar. I guess even the price is the same in your neck of the woods anyway.

-- hide signature --

Bob

David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,332Gear list
Look a gain

They are almost all disgruntled canon users, by more than a fair bit. The nikon users usually only chime in when the fanbois post BS about the d800. Which happens embarrassingly often for this forum. You don't see many canon users in the Nikon forum, because there is seldom any discussion of canon products there.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +3 more
David Hull
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,432Gear list

Desifinado wrote:

He is correct, there was a lot of that around the time that the 20D was introduced (8 years ago perhaps?).

David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Scrozzy
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list

I assume you're joking or you're new to this whole internet thing.

Scrozzy's gear list:Scrozzy's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads