Nikon AF-Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4D

Started May 13, 2012 | Discussions
nise
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Nikon AF-Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4D
May 13, 2012

Guys , I am plannig to buy this lens: Nikon AF-Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4D based on the review this is highly recommended in whick I have read the review down to the last details. My camera is Nikon D90. is it money worth?

Thank you

Nick

kgbruce01
Senior MemberPosts: 1,245
Like?
Re: Nikon AF-Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4D
In reply to nise, May 13, 2012

nise wrote:

Guys , I am plannig to buy this lens: Nikon AF-Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4D based on the review this is highly recommended in whick I have read the review down to the last details. My camera is Nikon D90. is it money worth?

Thank you

Nick

No, but everyone buys one anyway.

Worth the money?

It will not improve your photography. Not one bit. Nada. Zero.

But it will open up opportunities that you could employ to improve your own photography. It just won't do it by itself.

Enjoy!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
No Sideshow
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
In reply to kgbruce01, May 13, 2012

Pay no attention to Mr Nasty.

The 50/f1.4 in all forms is a Nikon classic. The optics haven't changed much over the years. You will find that you will need to open up to f2 to get the sharpness and depth of field to be usable. The 50/1.8 is actually sharper at 1.8, but by 2.8 both are the same. Which ones to buy? Go to http://www.keh.com and count how many 50/1.4s are for sale compared to 1.8s. That is where the answer to your question.

For me, I bought a 1.8D and sold my 1.4G, and bought a mint FM2n with the change.

kgbruce01
Senior MemberPosts: 1,245
Like?
In reply to No Sideshow, May 13, 2012

No Sideshow wrote:

Pay no attention to Mr Nasty.

Absolutely nothing was nasty about what I said. You're a loon.

I said it will not improve anyones photography. Things can't do that. But I did say it will open up opportunities to improve ones own photography. Which is true.

How is that nasty?

You are weird, and delusional.

Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?

If you want a good fast lens of that focal length ( and only you know that ) then I'd suggest the newer Nikon 50mm f1.8 G. It's only slightly slower but is optically a bit better.

The G model will also AF on a body without a motor, That may not matter to you now, but it gives you more options in the choice of future bodies.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,429Gear list
Like?
In reply to Deleted1929, May 13, 2012

sjgcit wrote:

If you want a good fast lens of that focal length ( and only you know that ) then I'd suggest the newer Nikon 50mm f1.8 G. It's only slightly slower but is optically a bit better.

The G model will also AF on a body without a motor, That may not matter to you now, but it gives you more options in the choice of future bodies.

As is often the case, I completely agree with my friend Stephen. There is no reason I can think of to get the older screw drive model when the new one has a sonic ring motor. The 50 f/1.8 G is slightly better optically and costs only $219. I think it is a no-brainer.

The only reason I'd consider the f/1.4 D model is if it were way cheaper than the 50 f/1.4 AFS G model and if I really needed the 2/3rds of a stop the f/1.4 gave over the f/1.8. Otherwise, I think the 50 f/1.8 AFS G would be first choice and the 50 f/1.4 AFS G would be second choice. The D series screw drives would not be a choice for me. I think it's going backwards, but that's personal opinion.

Good luck and have fun at it.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +23 more
Gary_Scotland
Senior MemberPosts: 1,080
Like?

Hello,

I think it is a great lens. I have the f1.4 and the f1.8 - both the D versions, so I can't compare them to the G models. I find them both to be excellent lenses in their own right. I have read quite a few reports from people of sharpness differences between them with people saying that the f1.8 is the sharper. Often these sort of reports come from 'lab tests' that tend to be extremely precise. So, technically a certain test may show one to be sharper, but 'in the field' the differences may be negligible. The trouble is that these things can escalate and you often see a lot of people praising or shunning a lens or product that they have never personally handled. I personally don't see any difference between either with sharpness.

One thing I do notice is that (for me) the f1.4 has the more pleasing bokeh. This will be subjective, so don't let that sway you in any way

I have never handled the G versions of these lenses, so can't compare them in performance or build. One thing that I have found with some other Nikon lenses is that the D versions can often feel 'sturdier' and better build.

The value for money part of your question is again subjective and depends what use you are going to put the lens to, so better to think about what 'value to you' would the lens be

Good luck,

Gary

digitalization
Regular MemberPosts: 193Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gary_Scotland, May 14, 2012

Be sure to check out and test the Sigma 50mm F1.4.
I own one and in my mind it's superior compared to the Nikkor F1.4.

digitalization's gear list:digitalization's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
In reply to digitalization, May 14, 2012

While the Sigma 50 f1.4 is better than the Nikon 50 f1.4 D , the newer Nikon 50mm f1.4 G and f1.8 G are better (IMO) than the Sigma ( and the old Nikons ).

In particular the bokeh ( blur quality ) is better, which is of significance for portraiture.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

nise
Like?
In reply to kgbruce01, May 18, 2012

thank you. at least I have the clear understanding as to why some of my friends who is into photography buys just like this lens. very informative

nise
Like?
In reply to No Sideshow, May 18, 2012

thank you, very informative and clever.

nise
Like?
In reply to Guidenet, May 18, 2012

thank you

nise
Like?
In reply to Gary_Scotland, Aug 7, 2012

Gary;

Thank you for your reply. Appreciated much. I am planning to make my own portfolio someday and I needed this lens for wedding photography. it is a great lens. f1.8 for me is better as I have tried for my d90. Regards.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads