Best filters for landscapes - Going to Alaska on motorcycle

Started May 13, 2012 | Discussions
NikonGuyChicago
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
Best filters for landscapes - Going to Alaska on motorcycle
May 13, 2012

Hello,

I'll be traveling to Alaska on a motorcycle, I own a Nikon D90 with Sigma 10-20 and Nikon 16-85. I will bring only one lens with me. In regards to filters, I already own a polarizer by B+W, but I would like to get something else as well. What do you suggest?

Thanks

Biological_Viewfinder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194
Like?
Re: Best filters for landscapes - Going to Alaska on motorcycle
In reply to NikonGuyChicago, May 13, 2012

Graduated Neutral Density.

It will help with those big skies, when you don't want to hang around with a tripod and bracket the shots so the skies aren't blown out.

Neutral Density.

It will help with those waterfalls you'll see, when you do decide to break out the tripod.

When you get back to civilization, you're going to feel like you're living near a coal power plant with the disgusting smog our cities have. The fresh, clean Alaskan air is just going to ruin it for you.
--

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NikonGuyChicago
Like?
In reply to Biological_Viewfinder, May 13, 2012

Do you think this is a good item to start?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/533253-REG/Tiffen_77HTCGND6_77mm_Digital_HT_High.html

I was thinking of getting a 3.0, but I dont know. Is .6 good enough?

NikonGuyChicago
Like?
Biological_Viewfinder
Like?

Oh thank God you're bringing a tripod.

The filter looks fine to me. The rest you can fix in post-process. The other one is more like if you're shooting into the sun and there's a ton of glare.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

NikonGuyChicago
Like?
Biological_Viewfinder
Like?

I don't think that's the right lens to bring. You said you were bringing one.

I'm not sure about that lens, but you can look up "lens filter vignetting Sigma 10-20" on google. I'm sure someone has brought it up. Any lens can vignette by filters, some don't have much tolerance for anything but a thin filter, others can handle a UV + a CP and the CP rotation part all sticking out rather far, but still okay.

Anyway, there are times when things will be SOOOOO far away, but you'll be wanting to make them feel closer. You'll say, man this valley is so huge and it makes it so I can see that ENTIRE mountain range in the distance. That sure is amazing, too bad my 10-20 can't even begin to cope with it. I mean I'm all for wide-angle landscapes, but the variety of things you are about to encounter is so vastly different day to day and sometimes hour to hour and occasionally minute to minute.

Maybe if you were bringing a D800 or a Fuji X-pro1, so that you could sort of just zoom into the resolution and make your 10-20 behave like a 10-85; but outside of that, I would really prefer that you use that beautiful Nikon zoom you have. Maybe you could have a friend hold onto the 10-20 and if you feel you really must have it, then he could overnight it to the next town.

-- hide signature --

NikonGuyChicago
Like?

Tell me more about the Fuji X-pro1?
How does it compare to Nikon D90 and Nikon D7000?
It looks like a point N Shoot, but alot of money.

Biological_Viewfinder
Like?

It's one of the most talked about cameras on the planet right now. Previously Fuji put out a couple of new breakthrough cameras, but they had pretty bad flaws and much like Sigma, the camera technology wasn't embraced.

The X-Pro1 however is the 1st in a series of cameras that Fuji is committed to, much in the same way that Canon and the 1Ds, then Mark 1, 2, 3, etc. has been a major series for that company.

The X-Pro1 can be configured pretty much any way you want. That's one of the biggest things. If you like your buttons to do this or that, there aren't a lot of limitations. The way that Fuji maintains the highlights is almost magical. I've heard of people trying to blow highlights and having a hard time with it. The dynamic range is very impressive. The biggest problem to me is that the camera is completely based on prime lenses and not zoom lenses, but even there people have been able to zoom into the image quite far before pixelation develops. I've owned Fuji before and it's a good company known for excellent JPEGs. For a lot of DPR guys, that would be "so what", because they use RAW. Personally, I shoot both and only use RAW when it's a stellar image; otherwise, it's just less steps to process.
--

calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,300
Like?

I prefer rectangular graduated ND filters as they are much easier to adjust to get the line where you want it for the scene and they will work with almost any lens you have now or in the future.

For Alaska I would want at a minimum a 17-55mm and a 70-300mm zoom lens. There are great panoramas where you will want the WA and large critters where a 300mm is important for personal safety.

NikonGuyChicago
Like?
In reply to calson, May 13, 2012

Since I only own Sigma 10-20 and Nikon 16-85. Nikon 16-85 might be the way to go.
I could bring both. But, dont know if it's worth it.

Is there an issue with having GND filters on 10MM lense? Such as Sigma 10-20?

ShelNf
Regular MemberPosts: 383
Like?

NikonGuyChicago wrote:

Since I only own Sigma 10-20 and Nikon 16-85. Nikon 16-85 might be the way to go.
I could bring both. But, dont know if it's worth it.

Is there an issue with having GND filters on 10MM lense? Such as Sigma 10-20?

I don't think there's issue with wide angles with GND, like there are with polarizers and irregular bue skies..the issue you may run into though is vignetting with the filter, or holder.

Bob Altic
Regular MemberPosts: 353
Like?
In reply to NikonGuyChicago, May 14, 2012

Noticed that you are traveling via motorcycle, and I do also. I agree with the other posters, you need a set of ND filters as well as the polarizer. You also really need a tripod, or you will have to have really stable hands to use the ND filters. I know that I could never do it with my hands. When I am traveling light, I strap the tripod across the passenger seat and carry the photo backpack in the top case. Most of the time, I am pulling a Bustec trailer, and carry my full photo kit with me. The trailer is wonderful, carries everything needed for camping and photography. Good luck, you are going to have a great adventure. Best, Bob

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads