Family shoot (C&C welcome)

Started May 12, 2012 | Photos
dingdongbell12
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Family shoot (C&C welcome)
May 12, 2012

Hi,

2nd post...last time I posted some photos on the forum and got slammed straight away...took your comments on board and hopefully achieved somewhat better results...again...your comments are much appreciated...

Onetrack97
Senior MemberPosts: 1,928Gear list
Like?
Re: Family shoot (C&C welcome)
In reply to dingdongbell12, May 14, 2012

Pretty nice.

1. 4 & #5 need to get cropped in more. Backgrounds are distracting.

-- hide signature --

Scott

Onetrack97's gear list:Onetrack97's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Taddy
Regular MemberPosts: 337
Like?
In reply to Onetrack97, May 14, 2012

Any print orders yet?

jfinite
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,092Gear list
Like?
In reply to dingdongbell12, May 14, 2012

Nice work, white balance on the last one is off.
--

http://www.pbase.com/jfinite

jfinite's gear list:jfinite's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +3 more
dingdongbell12
Like?
In reply to Onetrack97, May 14, 2012

Onetrack97 wrote:

Pretty nice.

1. 4 & #5 need to get cropped in more. Backgrounds are distracting.

-- hide signature --

Scott

Thanks a lot, I agree. I've cropped in more and darken the "bright objects" in the background a bit more...

Vernon D Rainwater
Forum ProPosts: 11,840
Like?
In reply to dingdongbell12, May 15, 2012

dingdongbell12 wrote:

Hi,

2nd post...last time I posted some photos on the forum and got slammed straight away...took your comments on board and hopefully achieved somewhat better results...again...your comments are much appreciated...

My preference is the 4th image -- Black and White.
--
Vernon...

ceebs
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
In reply to Vernon D Rainwater, May 16, 2012

2 & 5 - focus slightly off.
4 - nice subject but the background looks awful, probably due to PP.

motobloat
Regular MemberPosts: 497
Like?
In reply to dingdongbell12, May 16, 2012

dingdongbell12 wrote:

Hi,

Seems like white balance is a little off. Looks too yellow compared to the others on my monitor. Subjects would be a little sharper with a faster shutter speed, but not bad. Remember that they eye is drawn to brighter areas of the picture first, as well as bright colors first. The middle face is where your eye goes (and then to the other faces). But also, to the woman's white sleeve. Crop in closer on the right side of the image to get rid of that distracting white shoulder, and change the aspect ratio to something normal.

Speaking of which, why the 16x9 crop? Most places still won't print or sell frames for a 16x9. If you crop it to something they can't easily print/frame, either they are going to crop it themselves, resulting in who-knows-what, or they are just never going to print/display the photo (except on Facebook I guess). Nowdays you can custom print any size you like, but most people are still going to print standard sizes:

• 4x6 / 6x9 / 8x12 (1.5x aspect ratio, same as a DSLR sensor) or

• 5x7 / 10x14 (1.41x aspect ratio / Lichtenberg ratio)

• 3x4 / 6x8 / 9x12 (1.33x aspect ratio, same as most point-and-shoots) or

• 4x5 / 8x10 (1.25x aspect ratio) or

• square - 5x5, etc. (1x aspect ratio)

1.41x, 1.25x, and 1x (square) are the most common print ratios. You will also see 1.5x (usually) and 1.33x (sometimes, but not often).

Focus is off (or maybe shutter speed was too slow, hard to tell). Should be sharper though. Nice colors, decent composition. I would crop in a little all around personally (just enough to get rid of the hand in the lower right) but keep them in the center.

Again with the 16x9 crop, but a decent shot overall, nice work. (was it good in color, or did you go black and white cause you couldn't get the white balance right?)

Good portrait, background is too busy and distracting. Try a portrait-orientation crop, keeping the same 1.5x aspect ratio. That would get rid of 90% of the background garbage and make a really nice portrait. What on earth happened to the background on the middle left side (weird white outlining)? Post processing artifacts maybe?

Nice pose, but the focus is off (or the shutter speed is too low / too much camera shake, hard for me to tell). Won't be noticeable at small sizes though. Crop out the left side of the image (go to a square or portrait 1.5x crop), the picture on the wall is distracting...

Focus slightly off (focused on door, not person) and the white balance is off. Looks like too much contrast and the blacks in her hair and jeans are clipping to solid black. Dial back the contrast and warm up the white balance. Composition is nice though.

sbeecher
Junior MemberPosts: 38Gear list
Like?
In reply to dingdongbell12, May 16, 2012

The only pic with the white balance being "off" is the second one, the three laying down. There is a definite magenta cast. As far as the first one, it's warm.

Secondly these are Asian women, beautiful Asian women I might add. We asians are a bit yellow... what can I say.

sbeecher's gear list:sbeecher's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF
motobloat
Like?
In reply to sbeecher, May 16, 2012

sbeecher wrote:

The only pic with the white balance being "off" is the second one, the three laying down. There is a definite magenta cast. As far as the first one, it's warm.

To really tell on white balance, you have to be using a calibrated monitor. I am not currently, so I gave it my best shot. Could easily be wrong though.

The fact that the skin tones don't match very well at all from shot to shot (and they should, since they are the same exact people) indicates that there are probably some issues with white balance, but it's hard to say which photos are the "right" ones (if any).

dingdongbell12
Like?
In reply to motobloat, May 16, 2012

Thanks v.much for the feedback. Once again v. comprehensive.
I will change the crop and re-post

will change the crop again. I do notice the "focusing issue" I purposely didnt set focus point on this one. so I am guessing it is to do with the shuttle speed as I am sort of reaching out to get the mid point...so probably it is the handshake...
yer it iss pretty good in colour...
will re-post
I am not sure why, the focus point for this photo is right on the eye...

motobloat wrote:

Seems like white balance is a little off. Looks too yellow compared to the others on my monitor. Subjects would be a little sharper with a faster shutter speed, but not bad. Remember that they eye is drawn to brighter areas of the picture first, as well as bright colors first. The middle face is where your eye goes (and then to the other faces). But also, to the woman's white sleeve. Crop in closer on the right side of the image to get rid of that distracting white shoulder, and change the aspect ratio to something normal.

Speaking of which, why the 16x9 crop? Most places still won't print or sell frames for a 16x9. If you crop it to something they can't easily print/frame, either they are going to crop it themselves, resulting in who-knows-what, or they are just never going to print/display the photo (except on Facebook I guess). Nowdays you can custom print any size you like, but most people are still going to print standard sizes:

• 4x6 / 6x9 / 8x12 (1.5x aspect ratio, same as a DSLR sensor) or

• 5x7 / 10x14 (1.41x aspect ratio / Lichtenberg ratio)

• 3x4 / 6x8 / 9x12 (1.33x aspect ratio, same as most point-and-shoots) or

• 4x5 / 8x10 (1.25x aspect ratio) or

• square - 5x5, etc. (1x aspect ratio)

1.41x, 1.25x, and 1x (square) are the most common print ratios. You will also see 1.5x (usually) and 1.33x (sometimes, but not often).

Focus is off (or maybe shutter speed was too slow, hard to tell). Should be sharper though. Nice colors, decent composition. I would crop in a little all around personally (just enough to get rid of the hand in the lower right) but keep them in the center.

Again with the 16x9 crop, but a decent shot overall, nice work. (was it good in color, or did you go black and white cause you couldn't get the white balance right?)

Good portrait, background is too busy and distracting. Try a portrait-orientation crop, keeping the same 1.5x aspect ratio. That would get rid of 90% of the background garbage and make a really nice portrait. What on earth happened to the background on the middle left side (weird white outlining)? Post processing artifacts maybe?

Nice pose, but the focus is off (or the shutter speed is too low / too much camera shake, hard for me to tell). Won't be noticeable at small sizes though. Crop out the left side of the image (go to a square or portrait 1.5x crop), the picture on the wall is distracting...

Focus slightly off (focused on door, not person) and the white balance is off. Looks like too much contrast and the blacks in her hair and jeans are clipping to solid black. Dial back the contrast and warm up the white balance. Composition is nice though.

dingdongbell12
Like?
In reply to dingdongbell12, May 17, 2012

Hi,

'

reposted

motobloat
Like?
In reply to dingdongbell12, May 20, 2012

dingdongbell12 wrote:

Hi,

'

reposted

You're not quite there. Stop the fake vignetting and the weird blurring - we can totally tell and it looks lame.

Here is what I meant; crop to remove the distractions in the background. Ideally, when you were taking these pictures, you would have shot several different compositions at the time, portrait and landscape, zoomed in and out, etc. Getting the composition right in camera (so you don't have to crop later) takes a long time to master, but it is one of the most important things about photography in my opinion.

Alvin8100
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
In reply to dingdongbell12, May 24, 2012

Great sharing...
Thanks for sharing this...
--
Alvin...

Love is not blind – it sees more and not less but because it sees more it is willing to see less. (Will Moss)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads